What smartphone should I get?

Missioncode

I'm looking to buy a new smart phone and I'm trying to decide which one to get. I've looked over a few options but not to intently maybe you guys could give me some subjection.

Here a few things I want.

-Verizion 4G LTE

-Rootable

-<$150 (Used)

-can be used with tethering 

Easy right well not so. Im currently with Verizon and I still have my unlimited plan, but if i upgrade my phone have to pay more and go to 2Gb a month. So I'm going to have to buy the phone out right. I have check place like Ebay and the best phone that looks nice and is Rootable (I think) is the Droid Bionic has anyone used it? Is it any good? Is there other phones that I should check out?

Any input is appreciated thanks! :D

s3 or s4 if you can afford it :D

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Well the Samsung Galaxy S4 is the more obvious choice, but why wouldn't it be? It will be available on every carrier you can think of, unlike the HTC One, and it is a better phone...

No seriously it is just a better phone. The only thing the HTC one has over it is build quality and sound quality. THAT'S IT.

The S4 has

• a better camera
  • better battery life (I guarantee you will be able to get an extended bettery also)
  • bigger screen
  • better hardware button placement IMO
  • a lighter feel
  • expandable storage
  • removable back cover
  • a striving hacking community because of it's popularity
  • ddr3 memory (won't really make a difference though)
  • ect...

Edit: just realized that you are not spending more than $150...I would go with a galaxy nexus and an extended battery.

Edited by that_one_kid

s3 or s4 if you can afford it :D

this.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Probably the Nexus :)

Nice and cheap, great hardware, completely droid.

Well the Samsung Galaxy S4 is the more obvious choice, but why wouldn't it be? It will be available on every carrier you can think of, unlike the HTC One, and it is a better phone...

No seriously it is just a better phone. The only thing the HTC one has over it is build quality and sound quality. THAT'S IT.

The S4 has

• a better camera
  • better battery life (I guarantee you will be able to get an extended bettery also)
  • bigger screen
  • a lighter feel
  • expandable storage
  • removable back cover
  • ect...

Edit: just realized that you are not spending more than $150...I would go with a galaxy nexus and an extended battery.

Most of those "pros" were your personal opinion. Not everyone prefers a lighter feel for example.

Come on guys I said I have to buy the phone out right and being in college means I dont have tones to spend on the phone I'm looking to spend <$150 (that means less-than) 

Come on guys I said I have to buy the phone out right and being in college means I dont have tones to spend on the phone I'm looking to spend <$150 (that means less-than) 

It changes for where you are, how much is the google nexus where you are from?

It changes for where you are, how much is the google nexus where you are from?

This is true but they where talking about brand new phones.  I'm most likely going to buy from Ebay. Im also from the US if that affects anything

I will check out the google nexus since you are the 2nd one to subject that. 

You have a few choices, but I would recommend HTC One, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, S3 and S4.

But to fit into your budget of $150 used, you would probably aim for the S3.

Have a good hunt around, with the release of the S4 you should be in luck.

HTC One is awesome!

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

Verizon Doesn't Carry the One, shame cause they have the best 4G LTE but they don't have unlimited plans. So you are looking at a S4 which is not a bad phone if you really want to go with Verizon.

If you want a HTC One At&t, Sprint and T-mobile carry them. If you don't mind overpaying for what is NOT unlimited go At&t, seriously their plans are a bit overpriced.

I Had t-mobile before I Got the One, I hated it, service was kind of flaky at times missing text dropping calls but hey they do have the chepest plan, which is actually unlimited.

Sprint Is a best compromise in My oppinion With an unlimited plan on a phone that doesn't fell like is made of recycled plastic bottles.

Verizon Doesn't Carry the One, shame cause they have the best 4G LTE but they don't have unlimited plans. So you are looking at a S4 which is not a bad phone if you really want to go with Verizon.

If you want a HTC One At&t, Sprint and T-mobile carry them. If you don't mind overpaying for what is NOT unlimited go At&t, seriously their plans are a bit overpriced.

I Had t-mobile before I Got the One, I hated it, service was kind of flaky at times missing text dropping calls but hey they do have the chepest plan, which is actually unlimited.

Sprint Is a best compromise in My oppinion With an unlimited plan on a phone that doesn't fell like is made of recycled plastic bottles.

HTC One is awesome!

One of his requirements is for a phone second hand under $150. I very much doubt you can get any of those phones for that price.

One of his requirements is for a phone second hand under $150. I very much doubt you can get any of those phones for that price.

That will depend on your credit. I got My One for free when signing a 2 year contract on an unlimited plan on Sprint which is less than 100 dollars a month.

If your credit is not so good then you are screw cause most of the US Wireless Carriers ask for a Secutiry deposit of about $500, than you usually get back in about a year, Whether you are buying a phone or just getting a line. This will apply to even cheaper phones and plans with the execption of prepaid plans.

That will depend on your credit. I got My One for free when signing a 2 year contract on an unlimited plan on Sprint which is less than 100 dollars a month.

If your credit is not so good then you are screw cause most of the US Wireless Carriers ask for a Secutiry deposit of about $500, than you usually get back in about a year, Whether you are buying a phone or just getting a line. This will apply to even cheaper phones and plans with the execption of prepaid plans.

...Easy right well not so. Im currently with Verizon and I still have my unlimited plan, but if i upgrade my phone have to pay more and go to 2Gb a month. So I'm going to have to buy the phone out right. ...

He said he cant do that, which is why he wants to buy the phone outright.

The S4 has

• a better camera
  • bigger screen
  • a lighter feel
  • expandable storage
  • removable back cover
  • ect...

well the thing is the s4 isn't better i take most off my pic in a dark room so htc wins 

better battery life, it has a bigger battery but it has a higher clockspeed so it is about the same 

bigger screen is an opinion 

better hardware button placement IMO opinion

a lighter feel opinion

expandable storage don't need it it has enough 

removable back cover so ? 

a striving hacking community because of it's popularity i have an htc one x no probs getting a rom that i like

ddr3 memory (won't really make a difference though) you say it yourself :p

for me the htc is 10 times better then s4 

​but i can understand that for some it isn't

but your reasons are kind of weird 

an if you can belief mkbhd the htc even whit its lower clockspeed is smoother :p

well the thing is the s4 isn't better i take most off my pic in a dark room so htc wins 

better battery life, it has a bigger battery but it has a higher clockspeed so it is about the same 

bigger screen is an opinion 

better hardware button placement IMO opinion

a lighter feel opinion

expandable storage don't need it it has enough 

removable back cover so ? 

a striving hacking community because of it's popularity i have an htc one x no probs getting a rom that i like

ddr3 memory (won't really make a difference though) you say it yourself :P

for me the htc is 10 times better then s4 

​but i can understand that for some it isn't

but your reasons are kind of weird 

an if you can belief mkbhd the htc even whit its lower clockspeed is smoother  :P

I'm not saying the S4 is better because of all these reasons, I'm just saying what it has, not what I prefer. For example it is a lighter phone which is a fact. Also in testing it has a longer battery life.

I personally like the S4 because of the bigger screen and the ability to replace the battery or get an extended battery, also I believe the camera would perform much better in the situations I would be in. 

I applaud HTC for how much work they put in this phone, but it still has some flaws. The main flaw and the reason I most likely won't be able to get it is the availability of it on Verizon...and I would like to stay on Verizon since I'm still on a family plan and I have unlimited LTE.

I'm not saying the S4 is better because of all these reasons, I'm just saying what it has, not what I prefer. For example it is a lighter phone which is a fact. Also in testing it has a longer battery life.

I personally like the S4 because of the bigger screen and the ability to replace the battery or get an extended battery, also I believe the camera would perform much better in the situations I would be in.

I applaud HTC for how much work they put in this phone, but it still has some flaws. The main flaw and the reason I most likely won't be able to get it is the availability of it on Verizon...and I would like to stay on Verizon since I'm still on a family plan and I have unlimited LTE.

OK sorry for interpreting it wrong and i understand that you prefer the s4 and I don't know the Verizon stuff I am from Belgium and most of the time we buy ore cellphones independent

htc one and this should be under mobile devices not mobile gaming

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

OK sorry for interpreting it wrong and i understand that you prefer the s4 and I don't know the Verizon stuff I am from Belgium and most of the time we buy ore cellphones independent

LUCKY. I wish I could do that...I wan't to switch to t-mobile but the plan that I would go with only allows for 5gb's of full speed usage and then it's throttled down to terrible 3g...

It's amazing how many people ignore the question and keep suggesting the HTC One even though it's not $150 used or even on Verizon. The only thing close would be the HTC Droid DNA but that's still expensive.

The Droid Bionic seems to have some pretty good rom support with plenty of roms running the latest version of Android 4.2.2 http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1006

Some other phones that are also in the same price range you could use for is the Droid RAZR (or the MAXX version which has better battery) and Galaxy Nexus both which have good rom support, 720p screens and even LTE.