What smartphone should I get?

Missioncode

Nexus 4 is a very good pick and if rooted you can unlock its LTE features i believe.

It also gets all the updates and is never left behind main reason i got it and is also a very powerful phone for the price. 

Nexus 4 is a very good pick and if rooted you can unlock its LTE features i believe.

It also gets all the updates and is never left behind main reason i got it and is also a very powerful phone for the price.

There is no version of the Nexus 4 that operates on Verizon.

The Nexus 4 comes unlocked?

Verizon runs on CDMA so only phones that you buy directly from Verizon work.

looking a bit cheaper, perhaps an s2? still a pretty great phone!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

looking a bit cheaper, perhaps an s2? still a pretty great phone!

No S2 was ever on Verizon either, they went with the Droid Bionic at the time instead. 

Nexus 4, if you can get it for 250.

My specs:Fractal Define R4, i5 2550k, Asus GTX 560ti 2GB, Samsung 840 pro 120GB SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM ,Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Corsair 600w PSU

Nexus 4, if you can get it for 250.

Isn't an option for the OP's provider

No S2 was ever on Verizon either, they went with the Droid Bionic at the time instead. 

if he wants it to be rootable, i'd be presuming couldn't he just unlock it?

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

if he wants it to be rootable, i'd be presuming couldn't he just unlock it?

The thing is Verizon doesn't use SIM cards so there's no SIM slot to unlock. The LTE GSM is only used for data and the voice and non-LTE is through CDMA

The thing is Verizon doesn't use SIM cards so there's no SIM slot to unlock. The LTE GSM is only used for data and the voice and non-LTE is through CDMA

oh right! i'm from ireland, so sorry i didn't know!

Not saying it isn't ass backwards the way Sprint/Verizon work lol. And conceivably he could get data working on an unlocked phone since LTE is a GSM standard but never voice.

<added on>

I feel I haven't given a good explanation of how Verizon works, they operate over both CDMA 2G/3G and LTE 4G, the CDMA portion doesn't use a SIM card and instead you tell Verizon what your phone is giving them the IMEI number, Verizon also has 4G LTE which you insert a SIM card for. It swaps between the 2G/3G for Voice and/or when LTE data is no available yet so while the LTE uses a SIM, all the other wireless does not. So to get the CDMA portion with the 2G/3G dat and voice you NEED a Verizon branded phone for it to work, which is why the HTC One, Nexus 4 and Galaxy S2 will never work.

</added on>

Edited by Zappy