What if I upgraded to Windows 11 with a processor that isn't supported?

My_Computer_Is_Trash
Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
5 minutes ago, Take my memes said:

Which workarounds?

This may help

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement

How bad would it be? My specs are in my signature. The problems are: processor isn't supported, and motherboard doesn't support TPM 2.0.

Omg, it's a signature!

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

You will gain nothing moving to Win11...but if you were to force it, it'll run about on par with win10

So no problems with drivers/task manager?

Omg, it's a signature!

Just now, Take my memes said:

So no problems with drivers/task manager?

Not that I have heard, but as always with MS, you are playing beta tester for their new OS, and there are no guarantees that you won't find showstopping bugs.

Win11 offers your specific system virtually nothing better than an existing install of Win10 does, 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

you are playing beta tester for their new OS

it has been over a year hasn't it. I thought it was pretty much on par with windows 10.

Just now, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

it has been over a year hasn't it. I thought it was pretty much on par with windows 10.

Considering they are still adding "features", I'd still consider it in beta stage. YMMV of course, but MS has a track record of thins kind of behavior dating back to the Windows NT 4.0 days. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Processor support is no big deal

The TPM support has some work arounds but it is more difficult

Enlighten me

Omg, it's a signature!

It'll run just fine, just need a clean install and the common workarounds which can be done during install. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

There is zero reason to do this.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It'll run just fine, just need a clean install and the common workarounds which can be done during install. 

Which workarounds?

Omg, it's a signature!

2 hours ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

How bad would it be? My specs are in my signature. The problems are: processor isn't supported, and motherboard doesn't support TPM 2.0.

It won't let you.

And if you try to work-around it, you may end up in a position where Windows 11 autoupdates and "requires" it to be enabled and breaks when it can't find the TPM.

27 minutes ago, Kisai said:

you may end up in a position where Windows 11 autoupdates and "requires" it to be enabled and breaks when it can't find the TPM.

Not aware of that happening. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Considering they are still adding "features", I'd still consider it in beta stage. YMMV of course, but MS has a track record of thins kind of behavior dating back to the Windows NT 4.0 days. 

Right... so I guess we are beta testing every single OS we are using? Because they all keep making changing and adding stuff.

I've been using W11 for over a year now, and aside from the taskbar changes that I don't like, it has been working perfectly for me.

Don't get me wrong, they definitely should sort stuff out, like the different configuration menu's (old vs modern), that you both need to use.

I have no issue with people shitting on Windows, but the OP is asking a serious question, and pretending it's a beta product is just not fitting as an answer to his question.

11 minutes ago, Neroon said:

pretending it's a beta product is just not fitting as an answer to his question.

If you read my original answers to his question(s) you'll see I gave the answers he was looking for, how to install and workaround Win11's artificial limitations, performance issues, and so forth.

7 hours ago, Middcore said:

At this point I might upgrade to windows 11 just to spite the people that keep telling everyone not to.

7 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

At this point I might upgrade to windows 11 just to spite the people that keep telling everyone not to.

Windows 11 is basically Windows Mac OS Edition in terms of UI, it's terrible.  It'd be like upgrading to ME, vista or 8.0 out of spite.

51 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

He will gain no performance benefit and no meaningful features, and may (though probably not) encounter problems trying to run Win11 on a system that's not supported, and then he'll be on this forum asking how to fix them. There is zero upside. At best it's a waste of time that will get him a tweaked UI and nothing else.

He asked for opinions and I gave mine. I don't actually give a shit what he ends up choosing to do, or you either, but if people do pointless stuff they were warned not to just for the heck of it (or for "spite") they shouldn't expect those who warned them to help them deal with the consequences. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Running it on my Dell with a i7 2600, doing it because I like to play. Works great but cant say anything about long term use.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600 Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

People are still beta testing Windows 3.1 and its possible in 3000 MS will get it to run, but with their track record, I'm not betting on it,.

6 hours ago, Middcore said:

He will gain no performance benefit and no meaningful features

I've seen better performance, better stability and some cool things like the android subsystem. Even on unsupported systems as old as first gen i7s.

F@H

GPD Win 2

17 hours ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

It is possible through some workarounds. 

Right now, it doesn't seem to be any drawback to doing it either. Windows 11 seems to be working fine on processors such as the one you're using.

The problem that may arise is that future updates may cause issues. Microsoft has already said that they won't promise updates to people running unsupported hardware, and chances are they won't test or keep unsupported systems in mind when developing updates. As a result, a future update may depend on features your processor does not have. If you end up in that situation, which may happen in the future, you're kind of screwed. 

If you don't have anything against potentially formatting and reinstalling Windows in the future (could be anytime, maybe a month from now, or maybe several years), and you really want some feature in Windows 11, go for it. 

Personally, I would stay on Windows 10 if I were you. I don't think Windows 11 is a big upgrade. In many ways I think it's a downgrade.

17 hours ago, Middcore said:

Maybe they want to run Windows 11 but doesn't want to buy new hardware? 

As for why someone might run Windows 11 we have:

• The UI is different and some people may like that. I don't but different stroked... 
  • Android emulation workout needing to run some sketchy program like BlueStacks or Nox.
  • ... Shit I thought I would be able to come up with more reasons but honestly that's about it. The Android emulator is the only thing I can think of other than "it looks different". 

19 hours ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

Not bad at all lol.
I'm currently running windows 11 on a cheap ass mobo which definitely doesn't have tpm and running 7600k. 
Just get rufus and install the latest original windows 11 iso from microsofts own website. 

Only problem I've run into is CSGO external ladder anticheat apps etc. don't remember what it's called ,very popular here in DK. But that thing required secureboot and TPM 2.0 or something and wouldn't run. 

Anything else works just fine, and I'm also getting updates through windows update.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |