Got my first NVMe M2, Slightly confused on the compatibility with the board

Krisp-kiwi
Go to solution Solved by DigitalGoat,
1 hour ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Hey everyone, 

I was just checking how to install this in my gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 board and I'm trying to figure out what is compatible with what after hearing it screws up some of the standard sata connections if you plug one in.

Can anyone explain what I can and can't do here? I've found a generic Z170X manual but I don't quite get what it means when talking about the different allowed arrangements.

Cheers

With the majority of low to mid range motherboards you will get one to two M.2 slots, one is direct to the CPU the other will be on the PCI bus, higher end CPU/ motherboard combinations tend to have more communication lanes available and so more slots. The PCI connected slot will share lanes with the SATA and possibly any M.2 wireless connectors so using that M.2 may well disable a SATA port.

Some boards don't include SATA ports that are going to be shared so you can populate all slots/ ports without worry, others will tell you in the manual that, for example, "If M.2_2 is used then SATA 3_2 is disabled".

You should be able to download a manual/ reference sheet for your board to identify which if any ports/ slots will be disabled. There is normally a silkscreened legend near the connector to identify them as well.

Hey everyone, 

I was just checking how to install this in my gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 board and I'm trying to figure out what is compatible with what after hearing it screws up some of the standard sata connections if you plug one in.

Can anyone explain what I can and can't do here? I've found a generic Z170X manual but I don't quite get what it means when talking about the different allowed arrangements.

Cheers

Hey everyone, 

Cheers

manual page 17 https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170x-ud3_e.pdf?v=72419a4bb5a9b2cf305d5ba75cee4a8b

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Hey everyone, 

Cheers

With the majority of low to mid range motherboards you will get one to two M.2 slots, one is direct to the CPU the other will be on the PCI bus, higher end CPU/ motherboard combinations tend to have more communication lanes available and so more slots. The PCI connected slot will share lanes with the SATA and possibly any M.2 wireless connectors so using that M.2 may well disable a SATA port.

Some boards don't include SATA ports that are going to be shared so you can populate all slots/ ports without worry, others will tell you in the manual that, for example, "If M.2_2 is used then SATA 3_2 is disabled".

You should be able to download a manual/ reference sheet for your board to identify which if any ports/ slots will be disabled. There is normally a silkscreened legend near the connector to identify them as well.

13 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

Yeah, Doctor Nicks posted the manual I was reading before, I'm just not sure how to read it.  Was kinda hoping for some plain text saying "use the top one, this sata port won't work" "bottom one, this one won't work" Rather that multiple charts with ticks note marks, not sure what they refer to either etc

17 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Yeah, Doctor Nicks posted the manual I was reading before, I'm just not sure how to read it.  Was kinda hoping for some plain text saying "use the top one, this sata port won't work" "bottom one, this one won't work" Rather that multiple charts with ticks note marks, not sure what they refer to either etc

i agree... but often its on the mobo website (its not in your case)  or you can check reviews who usually mention this stuff.

Here’s how the sharing breaks down. A SATA M.2 SSD installed in the M2A M.2 slot will disable SATA port 0. If you populate the M2D M.2 slot with a SATA-based SSD both SATA port 3 and its accompanying SATA Express port will become unusable.

The situation becomes even more complicated with PCIe SSDs. Since the M2A M.2 slot has its own dedicated PCIe lanes, installing a PCIe SSD in this slot while the controller is in normal mode doesn’t cause you to lose any SATA ports

so basically  a m2a m.2 wont disable any sata ports. a sata m.2 will , so there u go.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i agree... but often its on the mobo website (its not in your case)  or you can check reviews who usually mention this stuff.

so basically  a m2a m.2 wont disable any sata ports. a sata m.2 will , so there u go.

Thanks, I think I understand now, I got a 980 1TB from samsung so It sounds like the best option is to put it into the m2a slot so I only lose 1 port rather than 2. 

In general, extremely general, the top most  M.2 connector is the CPU one since the traces are shorter and speed can be higher (NVME based SSDs) the lower slots, midway and lower tend to be on the PCI bus.

For SATA ports they tend to be fitted in pairs so the top left and right are SATA 0 & 1, next pair down SATA 2 & 3 and so on, but each motherboard manufacturer can layout the board as they see fit and support for newer tech can cause ports to be moved around or ommitted entirely. If a SATA port is disabled then it will be a pair, so SATA 0 & 1 for example.

Again this is an extremely general explanation and you should always try to get the reference sheet/ manual for your board revision, if possible.