How do I update intel VMD (RAID) driver?

SDVFwd
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

You open that file and let it update the driver. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Well the easy thing since your computer is working is just flash the bios.  The directions for that for your specific motherboard should be easy to find.

Might help reading the post you're answering to so as not to give wrong advice.

I have a new gigabyte Z690 AERO G DDR4 and I'm about to flash the bios to support 13th gen intel. On the gigabyte bios download page it says "Please make sure Intel VMD driver is updated to v19.5 or above before installing 13th Gen Processors. Windows crashes with 13th Gen Processors when Intel VMD (RAID) has been configured on 12th Gen without v19.5 updated." How do I do this and is this something I do after the cpu is installed after the flash bios? 

1 hour ago, SDVFwd said:

I have a new gigabyte Z690 AERO G DDR4 and I'm about to flash the bios to support 13th gen intel. On the gigabyte bios download page it says "Please make sure Intel VMD driver is updated to v19.5 or above before installing 13th Gen Processors. Windows crashes with 13th Gen Processors when Intel VMD (RAID) has been configured on 12th Gen without v19.5 updated." How do I do this and is this something I do after the cpu is installed after the flash bios? 

Well the easy thing since your computer is working is just flash the bios.  The directions for that for your specific motherboard should be easy to find.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

35 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It doesn't mention this on the motherboard and I can't seem to find it on the website either. When I click the Intel VMD driver it just downloads this file, do you know what I'm supposed to do with it? Is it a setting I need to find in the bios?

Screenshot 2022-12-09 210607.jpg

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, SDVFwd said:

It doesn't mention this on the motherboard and I can't seem to find it on the website either. When I click the Intel VMD driver it just downloads this file, do you know what I'm supposed to do with it? Is it a setting I need to find in the bios?

Screenshot 2022-12-09 210607.jpg

Well on my machine it wants to do the update from bios. By “doesn’t mention this on the motherboard” I assume you mean in the motherboard manual?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I thought we said more or less the same thing.  It’s merely that you are using the word driver.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought we said more or less the same thing.  It’s merely that you are using the word driver.

No, you told OP to "just update the BIOS" when the message specifically said to NOT update the BIOS before installing the driver, which is obviously a separate thing and is what they were inquiring about.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

No, you told OP to "just update the BIOS" when the message specifically said to NOT update the BIOS before installing the driver, which is obviously a separate thing and is what they were inquiring about.

Ah.  Was thinking the bios and the driver were the same thing.