can i use a motherboard without any cpu or gpu just to use the case fans? (dumb attempt at fixing laptop's temps)

can I use a motherboard without the cpu or gpu just to use the fans for a dumb (but maybe smart) attempt at fixing my laptop's temps? if at least one person could answer this I would be thankful.
thanks.

Explain how you intend to fix the laptop's thermal issues this way.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Explain how you intend to fix the laptop's thermal issues this way.

maybe putting a second heatsink on the top? (ok yeah maybe this is super dumb)

1 minute ago, lordpoophead2.0 said:

maybe putting a second heatsink on the top?

On top of what?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

On top of what?

ok maybe i should use the fans to speed up airflow or something (i dont even know anymore but i need to stop hitting 100c 22 times a day)

Just now, lordpoophead2.0 said:

ok maybe i should use the fans to speed up airflow or something (i dont even know anymore but i need to stop hitting 100c 22 times a day)

How are fans attached to a separate motherboard sitting somewhere going to help your laptop?

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

How are fans attached to a separate motherboard sitting somewhere going to help your laptop?

better airflow probably? (maybe but probably not)

Just now, lordpoophead2.0 said:

better airflow probably? (maybe but probably not)

I'm going to ask again: how are fans connected to a separate mothetboard outside the laptop going to affect the airflow of the laptop? Are you just going to sit the extra motherboard somewhere so the fans are aimed at the laptop?

If this is your theory you would be quite a bit better off to just point a big box fan or something at your laptop, it will move way more air than a few piddly ~120mm PC fans. It won't actually make any difference beyond however much impact it has on the ambient temp in the room, though.

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I'm going to ask again: how are fans connected to a separate mothetboard outside the laptop going to affect the airflow of the laptop? Are you just going to sit the extra motherboard somewhere so the fans are aimed at the laptop?

If this is your theory you would be quite a bit better off to just point a big box fan or something at your laptop, it will move way more air than a few piddly ~120mm PC fans. It won't actually make any difference beyond however much impact it has on the ambient temp in the room, though.

the thing is that i dont have a boxfan what im trying to do is probably increase the intake speed of the fans

6 minutes ago, lordpoophead2.0 said:

the thing is that i dont have a boxfan what im trying to do is probably increase the intake speed of the fans

A 20 inch box fan is $30 at a store like Home Depot.

That said, you could put the laptop in an aeronautics wind tunnel and it's not going to make a difference beyond the difference the ambient temperature of the environment makes. The thermal dissipation capabilities of the laptop are locked in by its design and its parts. You are just trying to build a dumber version of one of those laptop "cooling pads" that already don't do shit.

If you remove the bottom of the laptop and go raw dog cooling by using These directly on the heat sources and some form of air moving device, it can bring down temps.

(Used on media server laptop which was basically passively cooled to begin with given the size of the stock thermal solution to do some F@H) and temps dropped significantly given that there was significantly more thermal mass and cooling surface.

but will the fans spin without a cpu or gpu or storage?

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

If you remove the bottom of the laptop and go raw dog cooling by using These directly on the heat sources and some form of air moving device, it can bring down temps.

(Used on media server laptop which was basically passively cooled to begin with given the size of the stock thermal solution to do some F@H) and temps dropped significantly given that there was significantly more thermal mass and cooling surface.

28 minutes ago, lordpoophead2.0 said:

but will the fans spin without a cpu or gpu or storage?

Is the mobo you are going to use to power fans free?