Reverse SSH tunnel question

S1LENT

Hello all,

My problem is: My ISP blocks port 80 (thanks cox) and I am trying to set up a small website and to have Let'sEncrypt allow me to get a ssl certificate (using Swag docker container) it needs to be able to send traffic on port 80. Hence you can see my problem. One solution I thought of was having a cloud server set up outside my network (Linode) and creating a reverse SSH tunnel to forward all traffic on ports 80/443 to my machine running the website. That way i can point my domain to the linode machine and have it redirected to my local machine without needing that port. This being said I cannot seem to access the website when going to the public IP on port 80. This is the command I am putting in my local machine:

ssh -N -R 80:LocalIP:80 LinodeUsername@LinodeServerAddress

. I would then assume that I would be able to goto http:// linodeserveraddress and be able to access the website on my local machine. Can someone please help me figure out what is going wrong?

any particular reason why the website should be on your local machine in the first place? webhosting is dirt cheap, just stick it where it belongs.

23 minutes ago, manikyath said:

any particular reason why the website should be on your local machine in the first place? webhosting is dirt cheap, just stick it where it belongs.

Basically, I want it to be on my home network because I will already be hosting other services that I would like to expose to the internet (and get the SSL certificate for). Plus it is more of a hobby for me and would like to tinker around with it.

1 minute ago, S1LENT said:

Basically, I want it to be on my home network because I will already be hosting other services that I would like to expose to the internet (and get the SSL certificate for). Plus it is more of a hobby for me and would like to tinker around with it.

stick it on something else than port 80, you should do so for security reasons either way.

oh.. and between the last comment and this i recalled this: you can use nginx on some very basic cloud instance to listen on port 80 and redirect that to port something entirely different on your home connection.