Help with setting up a TP Link Wifi Extender/Access Point

SuperShires

I've recently bought a TP Link Archer VR600 V3 Modem Router and a TP Link RE500X Wifi Extender with the idea of having the router downstairs in the living room, then using ethernet ran upstairs have the Wifi Extender plugged in using ethernet, so the router is providing internet over ethernet to the Wifi Extender and the Wifi Extender provides solid Wifi coverage upstairs using TP Link's OneMesh.

I already have installed a double Ethernet wall socket leading from where the router is located in the living room to the spare room where our desks will be and the Wifi Extender will be.

I got the router all set up and working great but I was under the impression I could do this by turning the Wifi Extender into an Access Point as the Wifi Extender has an ethernet port on the side.

My question is; is this correct? Am I mistaken to what an access point is? I plan on having the Wifi Extender provide solid Wifi upstairs for me and my partner as we work from home and I don't like the idea of trusting the Wifi connection from the other side of the house where the router is.

Any info will be a great help, thanks.

7 minutes ago, SuperShires said:

I've recently bought a TP Link Archer VR600 V3 Modem Router and a TP Link RE500X Wifi Extender with the idea of having the router downstairs in the living room, then using ethernet ran upstairs have the Wifi Extender plugged in using ethernet, so the router is providing internet over ethernet to the Wifi Extender and the Wifi Extender provides solid Wifi coverage upstairs.

I got the router all set up and working great but I was under the impression I could do this by turning the Wifi Extender into an Access Point as the Wifi Extender has an ethernet port on the side.

My question is; is this correct? Am I mistaken to what an access point is? I plan on having the Wifi Extender provide solid Wifi upstairs for me and my partner as we work from home and I don't like the idea of trusting the Wifi connection from the other side of the house where the router is.

Any info will be a great help, thanks.

I found in the manual what you are looking for, it is on page 34. that should give you the instructions on how to do it. ALso in that mode, you should be able to do one mesh, so you don't have two different wifi names, it is just one seamless wifi name

2 minutes ago, king_thenorth said:

I found in the manual what you are looking for, it is on page 34. that should give you the instructions on how to do it. ALso in that mode, you should be able to do one mesh, so you don't have two different wifi names, it is just one seamless wifi name

Thanks for the reply! Sadly that link doesn't seem to work for me?

1 minute ago, SuperShires said:

I am right in thinking how I think an Access Point works is right?

If by that, you mean the access point (ap) just broadcasts wifi, yes. In that setup, it will just be a "wired extender", and it can be set as its own network like an extender or as a mesh node for the original netowork. by going back up in the manual, around page 16 i believe, you can setup the ap in one mesh mode, so it is the same SSID, and your devices will be able to roam between them like a mesh setup. Otherwise you can set it like a regular extender, but wired to the main router. Now in ap mode it is a little better, as it will be the same lan network instead of the usual extender mode, which usually makes it a separate lan network. I would recommend one mesh mode if it actually is usable with your setup, which a quick look at the products in use made it seem like it should work.

4 minutes ago, king_thenorth said:

If by that, you mean the access point (ap) just broadcasts wifi, yes. In that setup, it will just be a "wired extender", and it can be set as its own network like an extender or as a mesh node for the original netowork. by going back up in the manual, around page 16 i believe, you can setup the ap in one mesh mode, so it is the same SSID, and your devices will be able to roam between them like a mesh setup. Otherwise you can set it like a regular extender, but wired to the main router. Now in ap mode it is a little better, as it will be the same lan network instead of the usual extender mode, which usually makes it a separate lan network. I would recommend one mesh mode if it actually is usable with your setup, which a quick look at the products in use made it seem like it should work.

Great, thank you!