How do I get "power on by mouse/keyboard" to work with wireless mouse/keyboard combo on windows 10?

PJemus

I have an HTPC. I want to be able to turn it on from the wireless keyboard/mouse combo. 

I originally had an lga775 motherboard but I couldnt get anything to work with that, which is apparently because lga775 doesnt support it. I have now just bought a ddr3 motherboard, which has a few different BIOS options - power on by keyboard, power on by mouse, USB wake from S3, and PME event wake up.

I can't get "power on by X" to work. I saw some people saying it is a windows 10 issue and that windows 7 works, but I dont know if that is true or not. 

The wake from S3 option works BUT because of the keyboard and mouse going through the same USB, it can't differentiate the two. If either is set to enable wake in device manager, both will cause it to wake, which means any slight mouse movement wakes the PC up. 

I need any one of the following solutions:

Get power on by mouse/keyboard to work with my wireless keyboard/mouse combo

Get the USB to differentiate between mouse and keyboard such that the mouse cannot wake the system from S3

Some other solution involving PME or some other common BIOS setting

Thanks

since you're using a wireless mouse can't you just power off the mouse when you don't want it to wake the system.

6 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

since you're using a wireless mouse can't you just power off the mouse when you don't want it to wake the system.

No switch on the mouse

24 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Remove the batteries from the mouse or from the keyboard.

I would prefer something a bit less crude. I dont want to have to take the mouse apart all the time.

50 minutes ago, PJemus said:

I would prefer something a bit less crude. I dont want to have to take the mouse apart all the time.

Ok, take it apart only once and install a battery switch, or use one that has a switch.  I have a trackball made by Elecom that has one, and maybe they make mice as well if you want one.  But be careful, the Japanese people seem to have extremely small hands, and you might get something that needs to be at least twice the size that it is to be useful.

Or maybe you can use a normal keyboard and keep the mouse wirelessly.  Are you moving your keyboard around all the time that you need it wirelessly?

7 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Ok, take it apart only once and install a battery switch, or use one that has a switch.  I have a trackball made by Elecom that has one, and maybe they make mice as well if you want one.  But be careful, the Japanese people seem to have extremely small hands, and you might get something that needs to be at least twice the size that it is to be useful.

Or maybe you can use a normal keyboard and keep the mouse wirelessly.  Are you moving your keyboard around all the time that you need it wirelessly?

It's for my mum. I want everyone to stop focusing on physical solutions. I asked specifically for one of 3 solutions, none of which involved the batteries of the mouse.

You were asking for "some other solution".

The wireless keyboard and mouse seem to be the problem.  I don't think there's a solution that doesn't involve them.

9 minutes ago, heimdali said:

You were asking for "some other solution".

The wireless keyboard and mouse seem to be the problem.  I don't think there's a solution that doesn't involve them.

"Some other solution involving PME or some other common BIOS setting"

how do I get power on by mouse/keyboard to work?