Can these parts handle the 5800X3D?

6 minutes ago, freeagent said:

With some pastes, such as AS5 for example, will act as an insulator if you go on too thick. Nice and thin, but not translucent is what you want

i really like mx4 and whatever came with my noctua cooler , its nearly identical,  i even mixed them, no problem...

i also perfected the twist method to remove the cooler without any preheating... pretty sure that depends also on the paste...

20221029_223524.thumb.jpg.5904d614d1a647790cd0cbed47bc3b63.jpg

o_o

20221029_223539.thumb.jpg.e31908fd51af4ee34056036c97cba6af.jpg

>_>

i always use "x 4 dots" method... just preference but i can be sure spread is good and its easy to do ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I only spread with AMD, old Intel I just drew a line down the core and planted the cooler. On Intel I would give it a titty twister but on AMD I spread and mount. Seems like I get better temps than some guys using expensive AIOs. But not always.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I only spread with AMD, old Intel I just drew a line down the core and planted the cooler. On Intel I would give it a titty twister but on AMD I spread and mount. Seems like I get better temps than some guys using expensive AIOs. But not always.

thats the thing, im sure some people use "pea size method" and while its not going to kill anything,  it might not spread everywhere... happened to me, temps were ok but not great, but there was zero paste at the corners of the chip... so yeah, x 4 dots is it = )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I still draw a line with AMD, but I draw it at the bottom and spread to the top, then the side, and maybe a third pass if I went on a bit heavy. Seems to work ok for me.. but the paste I am using right now is a bit thick. SYY-157.

10 hours ago, freeagent said:

With some pastes, such as AS5 for example, will act as an insulator if you go on too thick. Nice and thin, but not translucent is what you want

AFAIK it doesn't matter if you put too much paste on as long as it doesn't spill onto the motherboard. Excess paste will be pushed to the side and the paste layer will be thin as usual assuming the cooler is properly mounted.

6 minutes ago, FluorescentGreen5 said:

AFAIK it doesn't matter if you put too much paste on as long as it doesn't spill onto the motherboard. Excess paste will be pushed to the side and the paste layer will be thin as usual assuming the cooler is properly mounted.

I watched the video too 😄

Its an easy experiment you can try on your own.

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

thats the thing, im sure some people use "pea size method" and while its not going to kill anything,  it might not spread everywhere... happened to me, temps were ok but not great, but there was zero paste at the corners of the chip... so yeah, x 4 dots is it = )

I've never had that problem with the pea method but I'd think it's the size of the "Pea" used that matters. I normally have a little that goes over the edge but it's not enough to make a mess of the socket area, just enough I may or may not have to wipe the sides of the chip sometimes and that's about it.
The TIM used makes a difference too in how well it spreads but in reality, as long as the majority of the chip's lid is covered and temps under load are good it's fine like that - No need to worry about every last mm of the chip's surface being covered with it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.