i5-13600K hitting 100C & Thermal Throttling in Cinebench

Bobzor
52 minutes ago, Grumpycats said:

Think I was concerned about Bobzor having issues with his P cores throttling while using CPU Lite load, maybe some CPU's dont like being undervolted as much? not sure..

figured I would lower the lite mode just enough to get it away from thermal throttling temps under all core load, 89C isn't to bad since I won't be doing all core loads very often, Gaming runs at much lower temps.

The only settings ive changed in BIOS is enable memory xmp, tweaked case fan settings since im using the same case as previous i7 8700K build, changed CPU Lite mode to 8 and on the first power up it asked what type of CPU cooler I'm using and selected Tower air cooler.

Haha no way I upgraded from 8700k too 

cpu lite load won’t cause cores to throttle only power limits will do that 

u want unlimited power limits

auto voltage 

and keep dropping lite load till unstable the. Bump it back up 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

On 11/8/2022 at 9:49 PM, Mr.Simon said:

Thanks for posting this.  I thought my 13600KF was running hot and this was due to CPU Lite Load being set at 12.

I originally changed my CPU Lite Load to 9, which going by one of the pictures above is Intel's default.  I then had a go at overclocking and currently have CPU Lite Load set to 10 with core ratios of 56/44 or clock speeds as reported by CPUID HWmonitor 5586/4389.  Peak temperature after 10 mins on Cinebench R23 were 89C based on a room temp of about 20C.  This is with a Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

I have added no extra voltage and am surprised it's working as I thought I would need more power for this clock speed.

[Edit: Spoke to soon, Cinebench has just crashed.  I'll try adding something using the voltage offset.  Any suggestions of how much I need to add?]

Try just bumping lite mode back up one 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

17 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Try just bumping lite mode back up one 

Thanks. I changed lite mode up to 11 and it seems stable. A 30 min and several 10 min runs on Cinebench completed without error. I've since added 0.005 on to the voltage offset to be safe.

1 hour ago, Mr.Simon said:

Thanks. I changed lite mode up to 11 and it seems stable. A 30 min and several 10 min runs on Cinebench completed without error. I've since added 0.005 on to the voltage offset to be safe.

Maby I got a golden sample to run that low voltage then ? 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

3 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Maby I got a golden sample to run that low voltage then ? 

I have got mine overclocked which is why I had to run with more voltage. Is yours at stock speeds?

4 hours ago, Mr.Simon said:

I have got mine overclocked which is why I had to run with more voltage. Is yours at stock speeds?

Yeah stock clock what’s ur oc ?

I do have room to lower voltage further as I did a dirty oc In xtu of 53 and 44 and still passed ten mins of r23 at 1.152v

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

I'm on 56/44 which looking at reviews seems pretty standard for overclocking the 13600.

I’ve been messing with the 13600k the last week or so. 360mm AIO. 

Mine will do 5.5GHz all core at 1.35v. It will pull 270watts in R23, 90C if I loop it. If I throw small ffts at it, it pulls 295watts and sits at 98C. 

It will also do 5.6GHz all core at 1.385v. That’s R23 stable, but starts getting near 100c. Small ffts thermal throttle. 

I just started messing around at 5.1GHz to see how low I can get the voltage. I tried 1.26v first, which is stable and super cool. Low 70s on R23. When I get more time, I will see how low I can get the voltages at 5.1GHz. 

BTW, my motherboard, MSI Z690 Edge, at complete out of the box settings runs the 13600k at 1.37v for 5.1GHz, which is stupid. It’s literally 0.1v more than necessary… at least. I’m not sure how normies are supposed to just drop in the processor and not thermal throttle with an air cooler. Someone at Intel or MSI needs to get a handle on this. 

9 hours ago, 1982 Original said:

I’ve been messing with the 13600k the last week or so. 360mm AIO. 

Mine will do 5.5GHz all core at 1.35v. It will pull 270watts in R23, 90C if I loop it. If I throw small ffts at it, it pulls 295watts and sits at 98C. 

It will also do 5.6GHz all core at 1.385v. That’s R23 stable, but starts getting near 100c. Small ffts thermal throttle. 

I just started messing around at 5.1GHz to see how low I can get the voltage. I tried 1.26v first, which is stable and super cool. Low 70s on R23. When I get more time, I will see how low I can get the voltages at 5.1GHz. 

BTW, my motherboard, MSI Z690 Edge, at complete out of the box settings runs the 13600k at 1.37v for 5.1GHz, which is stupid. It’s literally 0.1v more than necessary… at least. I’m not sure how normies are supposed to just drop in the processor and not thermal throttle with an air cooler. Someone at Intel or MSI needs to get a handle on this. 

As for undervolting I got 1.1 stable stock clocks 67c max peak temp 

and oc I have 5.6 stable at 1.25v 4.4 on e 

thats r23 stable 30 mins 4 hours of aids 64 and 2 hours of prime small fft

im on a smaller 240aio so at 1.25v I’m close to 85c 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

4 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

As for undervolting I got 1.1 stable stock clocks 67c max peak temp 

and oc I have 5.6 stable at 1.25v 4.4 on e 

thats r23 stable 30 mins 4 hours of aids 64 and 2 hours of prime small fft

im on a smaller 240aio so at 1.25v I’m close to 85c 

I'm impressed you have it stable at 1.25v.  I'm at about 1.3v on mine with those clocks.

13 minutes ago, Mr.Simon said:

I'm impressed you have it stable at 1.25v.  I'm at about 1.3v on mine with those clocks.

Think I got a good chip if I had a 360 I’d for sure be trying 5.7/5.8 wil lower e cores

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper