860 EVO SSD not recognized after Win11 install.

CPT_BEEMO

Hello hello!

I made a mistake a few years back and installed my Win10 OS on my 860EVO SATA SSD instead of my NVME. I decided to upgrade to Win11 and I was going to fix the mistake and do a clean install onto the NVME. In the process of Win11 install I was successful formatting all my hard drives and getting windows 11 on the nvme however I've run into a pickle:

Whenever I boot up, the computer asks me if I want to boot into Win11 or Win10 as the Samsung SSD for some reason still has the old OS on it  even after i formatted the drives during the install. If i launch the create and format partitions function in win11, that drive is not showing up. If I boot into windows 10, it shows up as it is the C: drive. So I'm just wanting to format that hard drive and reinitialize it as mass storage on windows 11. I've tried a few things but to no avail, I can't seem to have much success.

If I run DISKPART in powershell on win11, the drive is not shown. I made some progress by disabling all boot drives in my BIOS except for my media creation USB tool for Win11. I booted onto the USB stick, went through the windows until I could see the list of drives to install windows on. Found the SSD there. Formatted it. But..... After the format I'm still able to boot into windows 10. Did the same thing over again by booting onto the USB stick and instead used powershell to run DISKPART. drive shows up, ran a clean and format, but after, it still has OS on it.

Alas, I come to the internet for help. Anything you can suggest that would allow me to wipe that drive would be awesome.

Thank you in advance!

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

Seems like you formatted a partition, not the whole drive. If you look in disk manager, when you install windows it creates about 3-4 different partitions, and especially the boot ones are hard to get rid of. I would install samsung disk software and try secure erasing the drive, that should get rid of all the partitions that are hard to remove.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

There's a much easier way if you still have the install CD. Boot with it to first delete all of the partitions and reinstall - the deletion will take only milliseconds but then you lose the time with a Windows re-installation.

Now if you have 2 drives boot into Windows 11, go into disk manager and reformat the other drive, AFTER making sure your working on the correct drive, although you shouldn't be able to reformat the working drive. But Windows being Windows double and even triple check - remember these are the same people that thought Bob was a good ides.

You could also download and burn gParted onto a USB drive. Use this to boot to either delete the unwanted partitions, if you know which one(s) they are.

But quite honestly, nuke and pave, after recovering any personal data of course, and start anew.

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

Seems like you formatted a partition, not the whole drive. If you look in disk manager, when you install windows it creates about 3-4 different partitions, and especially the boot ones are hard to get rid of. I would install samsung disk software and try secure erasing the drive, that should get rid of all the partitions that are hard to remove.

Cool I'll give that a try tonight! Thank you!

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

8 hours ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

If i launch the create and format partitions function in win11, that drive is not showing up.

MBR/GPT booting problem (legacy / UEFi)? 
Like you could run win 10 on MBR... I do it like that. Win 11 is GPT only.     

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

9 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

So i downloaded Samsung Magician, and the drive does not even show up there. It sees my WD nvme drive but no samsung SATA drive.

I can still see the drive if I boot into the media creation stick, but not in win11 my any means.

I am going to try running cmd in powershell to convert the drive to a gpt drive and see if that helps.

4 hours ago, kokosnh said:

MBR/GPT booting problem (legacy / UEFi)? 
Like you could run win 10 on MBR... I do it like that. Win 11 is GPT only.     

Booted into the media tool, went into powershell:

DISKPART

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK 0

DETAIL DISK (to confirm I am working on the right drive)

CLEAN

CONVERT GPT

*SUCCESSFUL*

Still not showing in Win 11. Only shows my M.2 and my 2TB mass storage drive but still no SATA SSD. All volumes are deleted so it shows as unallocated space if i go through the hoops to select the drive to install windows on.

Im not sure if this is pertinent or not, but my BIOS sees the drive in sata configuration, I have also used secure erase to format it.

*UPDATE*

I found my SATA/IDE to USB adapter. Hooked the drive up to it via USB, it is now initialized and assigned a drive letter. Removed and reinstalled back into the tower, its gone.

Swapped from SATA port 1 to SATA port 3.... and its working.

4 hours ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

Booted into the media tool, went into powershell:

DISKPART

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK 0

DETAIL DISK (to confirm I am working on the right drive)

CLEAN

CONVERT GPT

*SUCCESSFUL*

Still not showing in Win 11. Only shows my M.2 and my 2TB mass storage drive but still no SATA SSD. All volumes are deleted so it shows as unallocated space if i go through the hoops to select the drive to install windows on.

Im not sure if this is pertinent or not, but my BIOS sees the drive in sata configuration, I have also used secure erase to format it.

*UPDATE*

I found my SATA/IDE to USB adapter. Hooked the drive up to it via USB, it is now initialized and assigned a drive letter. Removed and reinstalled back into the tower, its gone.

Swapped from SATA port 1 to SATA port 3.... and its working.

OOHHH.

Yeah some motherboards disable 1 or 2 sata slots when you connect an NVME drive into a specific M.2, it is usually marked in the manual.

But glad to hear that you got it to work finally.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

7 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

OOHHH.

Yeah some motherboards disable 1 or 2 sata slots when you connect an NVME drive into a specific M.2, it is usually marked in the manual.

But glad to hear that you got it to work finally.

That's really odd though because absolutely nothing hardwarw wise had changed aside from the OS. That same port and SSD had the OG windows 10 on it.

10 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

I did looked yesterday on this motherboard manual, and in this one, it's not disabling any SATA if you plug the M.2.  
So that's not it. 

I would rather assume, it was the starting of the system without the SSD connected (and then connecting it via USB, after starting windows, what helped in this case )

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 11:05 AM, kokosnh said:

I did looked yesterday on this motherboard manual, and in this one, it's not disabling any SATA if you plug the M.2.  
So that's not it. 

I would rather assume, it was the starting of the system without the SSD connected (and then connecting it via USB, after starting windows, what helped in this case )

Well thank you guys very much anyways for your help. I do appreciate it!!!