Google's new MoBo based on an IBM processor

xNeon

I guess IBM really only makes processors for business applications but maybe google will start making boards for consumers? Could we see IBM competing with Intel and AMD in the future?

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/openpower/?mbid=social_twitter

CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.60GHz 1.264v | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16.0GB (2x8GB) | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77 WS | Graphics - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | Storage -  120 GB Samsung 840 EVO | PSU - Corsair RM650 | Case - Corsair 550D

It would take a very long time before we would see IBM chips for mainstream consumers... it's not just the chip+mobo, but all the programs would have to be rewritten to utilise the new architecture AFAIK

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

yeah its more about the software, IBM used to be in the consumer market up until apple switched to intel CPU's

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

IBM used to be in the desktop processor industry with Apple but IBM never put the funding in and Apple eventually went to Intel.

I think this is just IBM trying to gain a bit of the ARM business and Google try not to rely on Intel to much. They have there Crome Books, a little test run in the larger scale OS, so you could certainly see Google trying to destroy windows in the future.

It's a Power8 chip so no, we won't see it in consumer PCs.

No x86 programs works on it (Windows, new versions of OS X or any programs for these two patforma) and that makes it completely useless for most people.

IBM used to be in the desktop processor industry with Apple but IBM never put the funding in and Apple eventually went to Intel.

I think this is just IBM trying to gain a bit of the ARM business and Google try not to rely on Intel to much. They have there Crome Books, a little test run in the larger scale OS, so you could certainly see Google trying to destroy windows in the future.

I don't see any OS taking over Windows and OSX in the future unless all the popular software gets ported over, which is unlikely. The only way I see it being possible is if you can install linux applications or even install apks

"Companies like Google don’t want to rely solely on Intel. They want competition in the market. They want to play one chip maker off another. "

thank you google

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't see any OS taking over Windows and OSX in the future unless all the popular software gets ported over, which is unlikely. The only way I see it being possible is if you can install linux applications or even install apks

TBH, while we as enthusiasts may not want to go without certain software, the average consumer doesn't really need anything but a web browser to do their daily tasks. It may seem weird to us to not have lots of popular software available, but to the majority of people it doesn't sound any different to what they are doing now with their computers.

It will take a lot more than google to destroy windows,  yet having said that, when most applications move to the cloud the os will simply become the browser. That is why I think MS are moving toward free versions of windows. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It will take a lot more than google to destroy windows,  yet having said that, when most applications move to the cloud the os will simply become the browser. That is why I think MS are moving toward free versions of windows. 

I agree with that