[Verge] "Apple blasts Samsung over originality"

Smeeoh

You're cherry picking an example. You want India? Moto G

I'm not arguing for Nexus phones, I'm arguing for competitors in general making up a significant enough portion of the market that the established big two need to worry about it. Which is blatantly the case, non-samsung android phones are anything but rare.

when companies are literally going bankrupt or stopping their operations due to the Samsung-Apple duopoly in cell phones, you can call me back. Just because there are other companies out there that make smartphones doesn't mean jack when they are losing money and ready to go bankrupt or simply surviving because these companies hope to one day get bigger marketshare and in the meantime scratch pennies off of their pockets that are lined from other divisions in the company. 

Apple and Samsung are the only ones and unfortunately that's the way it is. The motorola g might be selling well in India, but how much money is it making? (hint hint, next to nothing. Motorola has been bleeding google hundreds of millions and they don't have any real established market share anywhere). My point is, even if the moto g is according to you a one hit wonder in India, that doesn't guarantee the success of the motorola brand itself in that country for anything beyond a very short term period. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I think this goes back to the announcement of the Nexus 5 and how heavily subsidised the device is.  I can't find the exact link from back then but a brief Google search for "Nexus 5 Subsidy" shows some decent links.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/11/17/google.play.store.pricing.aimed.at.driving.android.platform.domination/

http://www.cnet.com/news/heres-why-t-mobiles-nexus-5-is-100-more-than-at-google-play/

Can't show you my investor portfolios, but you can easily Google it (heh, get it?). I rarely trust articles online, but if it's good enough for you, then it's there. The Nexus line isn't significant enough to even be listed by itself. It goes into the "other" category.

And people still wonder why i bash apple as a company...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I think this goes back to the announcement of the Nexus 5 and how heavily subsidised the device is.  I can't find the exact link from back then but a brief Google search for "Nexus 5 Subsidy" shows some decent links.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/11/17/google.play.store.pricing.aimed.at.driving.android.platform.domination/

http://www.cnet.com/news/heres-why-t-mobiles-nexus-5-is-100-more-than-at-google-play/

Just because T-Mobile has to buy the device from LG for 450 dollars doesn't mean Google has to do it though. The device costs less to manufacture so at least LG is making a profit from it.

Maybe Google had an agreement like "If you let us sell it in the Play Store for 350 dollars you can charge whatever you want to everyone else"?

Thanks for trying to find sources though.

Can't show you my investor portfolios, but you can easily Google it (heh, get it?). I rarely trust articles online, but if it's good enough for you, then it's there. The Nexus line isn't significant enough to even be listed by itself. It goes into the "other" category.

So you have no source? Got it.

You can't just go "this is a fact, but I won't show any evidence that supports it. It is your job to prove that I am right!".

This is kinda like a car company suing other car companies for using 4 wheels, or a certain number of cylinders, or windscreen wipers, etc.

I blame the US patent office for this, not Apple.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

My stance: Apple doesn't have a leg to stand on. You can't patent ideas, only specific implementations of those ideas, hence things like 'slide to unlock' can be used by everyone, Apple can only patent their specific implementation.

But you can patent ideas. It is called intellectual property for a reason. No person or entity is allowed to steal the ideas of another and pass them off as their own.

This is kinda like a car company suing other car companies for using 4 wheels, or a certain number of cylinders, or windscreen wipers, etc.

I blame the US patent office for this, not Apple.

no, its more like a car company using a dual axle design and not paying licensing fees for it.

So you have no source? Got it.

You can't just go "this is a fact, but I won't show any evidence that supports it. It is your job to prove that I am right!".

http://bgr.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-sales-profit-cost-google-android/

Not really sure what source you trust.

CNET, Gizmodo, IHS Teardowns, Android Authority?

Some sources will tell you that they are making x amount of money. Some will tell you they aren't making anything, and some will tell you they are losing money.

If you really want a good source, then I suggest buying an investor portfolio from a trusted 3rd party financial analyst center. They take into account bulk pricing, R&D, marketing budgets, labor, etc.

Here's a better source.

http://investor.google.com/

This is their public IR information. Go to their Financial information and you can download (pdf files) from their quarterly income earnings. Scroll through and if you don't understand it, just look at their highlighted revenue income. It shows where their money is coming from and none of it comes from their mobile hardware segment. Their "losses" though is grouped together with their operating costs or is just summed up together. So technically even this source isn't something I would go by (when investing).

All my fam use iPhone's, because they are the best and do things simply. No need for android with all the confusing buttons, software etc. (for elders)

All my fam use iPhone's, because they are the best and do things simply. No need for android with all the confusing buttons, software etc. (for elders)

Maybe I'm biased, but I find navigating and doing what I want on my iPhone 4 way more confusing and longwinded than other devices I use (Note 2, various blackberries, winmo).  Sometimes back is X, sometimes it's Cancel.  Sometimes Accept is "Yes" and Cancel is an X, other times Accept is a tick and No is back.  There not much cohesiveness in my opinion.

Performing basic tasks always takes longer. Eg. editing an alarm.  I have to press Edit and then select which one each time I want to change an alarm instead of keeping the Edit function available, or just letting me select the actual alarm I wanna change.

Using Google and Apple maps for example is such a chore on this shitty 4" screen that's totally inaccurate half the time - and I don't have big hands.  That and the abortion of the homescreen.

Never before have I experience such frustration at a handheld interface than I have when trying to perform basic tasks in iOS.

Imagine how shit Excel would be if you had to click an Edit button before you change any cell.  That's how I feel when using iOS.

It is so easy to tell someone's phone is a Galaxy or Note from far away, sigh, doesn't really matter because Obama likes his Macbook and iphone.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Thats funny because the last time I checked all Apple phones look the same.

Yes you are totally right,,, what original about Apple phones anyway,,, not saying Samsung is any better...

On the other side...

this guys are on open war on Samsung,,, HTC makes phones too and guess what the LCDs are "square" and similar "slide to unlock" function is there

LG has it and everyone that releases a Smartphone has it, you name it,,,

Apple please, Samsung please....STOPPPP!!!!!

PC Gaming forever...

Apple iz a bunch o fagits

Why dey need soo much monyy?

I know samsung used some features but are you fucking serious? Autocorrect was and is bound to be on so many typing programs and devices, like really...they're already fucking jacking money from their stupid brand products

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

I think that apple vs samsung is total bullshit. The features that apple claims samsung has used is in the DNA of Android.

Apple knows that they won't win against, say, Google because it's american and on of the largest software giants on the planet.

Therefore apple goes and lawsuits the shit out of every little company that earns 1 or 2 bucks on something that looks like a flat piece of metal and glass and opens up with the click of a button. 

This is why im proud to not be American (absolutely NO offense) because companies in europe at least have some sence of desency and the free market. 

Good god Apple, can you find anything better to do then be a damn patent troll? Maybe take that spare time and actually innovate something instead of wasting the courts time up.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I have yet to meet anyone that couldn't operate an android phone.  In fact I think 80% of the market can effectively work android phones and don't seem to have issues.  Also given that Apples market share is shrinking to WP I'd say they are probably not the best in the eyes of the general consumer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

[...] and unlock slide, that's just common sense not something you can own.

Wasn't before the first iPhone. Even if touch based phone existed, it wasn't a wide spread method. It now seem so obvious but before the iPhone it wasn't. Just watch the first iPhone keynote and you'll understand. People are cheering on the slide to unlock as Jobs show it 2 times... It's a feature back then. They're also impress at things like the scrolling with momentum... If you blame Apple fanboys in the crowd, you clearly don't get how things were back then.

@16:00

I don't say they should sue everybody over it. I'm saying we say things like "It's the obvious way", "It's commen sense" but actually it's not. It's things they spend time engineering on.

Kudos to Microsoft for making me scroll up to unlock :D

What I think is that basing a device on a rectangular touchscreen leaves few options as to design and frankly originality is not required. This includes basic touch functionality like a keyboard correction function and unlock slide, that's just common sense not something you can own. Actual techical patents carry a lot more weight.

What apple argues is that the "slide to unlock" feature may not have ever been a thing if they hadn't done it first.

Wasn't before the first iPhone. Even if touch based phone existed,

http://www.fosspatents.com/2014/04/10-european-judges-found-apple-had-not.html

Many of the features in the iphone existed before the iphone in one form or another, where apple excel is in marketing, that's why everyone thinks they developed most of the designs and tech that's in it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't see why big companies bitch like this, I mean shouldn't you want someone to use your design isn't that sortof proof that your on the right track? 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

http://www.fosspatents.com/2014/04/10-european-judges-found-apple-had-not.html

Many of the features in the iphone existed before the iphone in one form or another, where apple excel is in marketing, that's why everyone thinks they developed most of the designs and tech that's in it.

it wasn't a wide spread method. It now seem so obvious but before the iPhone it wasn't.

Didn't say they invented it. And that link you posted... there's not even a slider on that screen. I don't think my 2yo daughter would have figured that one out.

Didn't say they invented it. And that link you posted... there's not even a slider on that screen. I don't think my 2yo daughter would have figured that one out.

I am showing you that slide to unlock did exist in a touchscreen phone prior to the iphone,  read the article rather than just look at the pictures.

I'm aware that your article was pointing at a slide to unlock prior the iPhone. That's why I said "Didn't say they invented it." and even quoted myself saying "it wasn't a wide spread method. It now seem so obvious but before the iPhone it wasn't."

Don't be so fast on the "Read the article" when you're obviously skipping part in posts.