Is there a way to control a phone from a Windows desktop?

mishmish

Hi All, I think this is the right place for this post, but I was wondering if there was a way to control and use aspects of a phone from a Windows desktop. I just got a new phone (pixel 7) and while android does transfer alot of the settings and things, there are still some little tweaks in the apps that need to be done, and it just would be helpful to be able to do some of this stuff on my desktop, but seeing my phone screen in a window.

I guess what I have in mind is something like the screen streaming that the steam link (or just steam) can do. When I got my steam deck, I found that it was pretty helpful at times to use the steam link program on my desktop. That way when I needed to do something in desktop mode, it was just pretty easy and convenient to have the steam deck desktop on my screen, and I can interface with it using the mouse and keyboard that are on my desktop.

I feel like something like this must exist, but I just dont know where. I do respond to text messages using the web interface, and the same with whatsapp and signal. Responding to messages on my desktop is pretty useful, but kind of like I described above, I guess I wouldnt mind having my phone display in a seperate window on my desktop, while my phone is on the charger next to me. Any thoughts are great, thank you!

8 minutes ago, mishmish said:

Hi All, I think this is the right place for this post, but I was wondering if there was a way to control and use aspects of a phone from a Windows desktop. I just got a new phone (pixel 7) and while android does transfer alot of the settings and things, there are still some little tweaks in the apps that need to be done, and it just would be helpful to be able to do some of this stuff on my desktop, but seeing my phone screen in a window.

I guess what I have in mind is something like the screen streaming that the steam link (or just steam) can do. When I got my steam deck, I found that it was pretty helpful at times to use the steam link program on my desktop. That way when I needed to do something in desktop mode, it was just pretty easy and convenient to have the steam deck desktop on my screen, and I can interface with it using the mouse and keyboard that are on my desktop.

I feel like something like this must exist, but I just dont know where. I do respond to text messages using the web interface, and the same with whatsapp and signal. Responding to messages on my desktop is pretty useful, but kind of like I described above, I guess I wouldnt mind having my phone display in a seperate window on my desktop, while my phone is on the charger next to me. Any thoughts are great, thank you!

https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

As @RZeroXmentioned scrcpy is a fine solution,
I'll just add that if you wish to control the smartphone with mouse & KB you will want to allow input via USB debugging (same permission is used for Wireless debugging, at least on my phone):
image.png.ca738ec62bdb41ea3c16363b4322bdcd.png 

A bit less performant but simpler alternative would be to use AnyDesk app.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

On 10/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, RZeroX said:

Thank you very much! This is what I was looking for!

On 10/20/2022 at 7:15 PM, Biohazard777 said:

As @RZeroXmentioned scrcpy is a fine solution,
I'll just add that if you wish to control the smartphone with mouse & KB you will want to allow input via USB debugging (same permission is used for Wireless debugging, at least on my phone):
image.png.ca738ec62bdb41ea3c16363b4322bdcd.png 

A bit less performant but simpler alternative would be to use AnyDesk app.

And thank you too!

For what its worth I was able to set up scrcpy and then I used this tutorial to get it running wirelessly. Thank you both again!

https://www.downloadsource.net/how-to-set-up-scrcpy-wireless-scrcpy-wireless-setup-guide/n/20346/