Intel claims Core i9-13900K will be 11% faster on average than AMD Ryzen 9 7950X in gaming

16 hours ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

There's gonna be a 7950x3d and 7800x3d for sure. Also rumored to be a perhaps a 7900x3d. All 3 are gonna be juicy. Apparently they fixed the voltage issues with second gen 3d cache so you will be able to run PBO etc unlike the 5800x3d. If they can keep the clock speed the same it'll be absolutely naughty

Maybe I'm wrong, but would allowing overclocking really make a significant impact on almost any workload or game?

29 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Haven't really paid attention to any R23 reviews, but I'd be curious if my results match others in the field. 

Magetank: 39072

Computerbase: 39551

Hardware Unboxed: 39366

7950X

Magetank: 37824

Computerbase: 38648

Hardware Unboxed: 38163

Within tolerance I'd say.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 hours ago, jos said:

Thank you, I am a developer so it is usually heavy workload, and i need it sustained not some small burst of performance. Now a days even chrome feels like heavy application /s

Well, your choice depends upon the type of software you are developing. In something lightly threaded, eg node js dev or if you are working on an async heavy codebase, the extra cores on the 13900K are useless. But for something better threaded, eg c++ builds or heavily threaded codebases, or running multiple docker containers at once, the extra cores on the 13900K might be a significant boost over the 7950X.

8 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Well, your choice depends upon the type of software you are developing. In something lightly threaded, eg node js dev or if you are working on an async heavy codebase, the extra cores on the 13900K are useless. But for something better threaded, eg c++ builds or heavily threaded codebases, or running multiple docker containers at once, the extra cores on the 13900K might be a significant boost over the 7950X.

Scala, node, python, multiple Dockers, multiple databases, and lots of chrome tabs. Ram is very significant. 64gb is bare minimum. Currently 3600x is 86% and 32gb ram is almost full. While buid is going then it is all 100. Working from home. So they provided laptop, a beast of Alienware gaming laptop, but personal desktop still feel snapier.

for now, the 13 600K intel CPU just looks like the best of both brands generation.

Not worth something else, of course there was bugs as with 12th CPUs. Also that there is still more to come and different prices.

Might go wild for intel a little bit, but unsure how DDR5 will affect future generations. But I guess its good intel can support both?

On 10/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, WereCat said:

We're probably in the same boat then. I upgraded from 1080ti to 3060ti to play Planescape Torment and FFXIV. 

Lmao, life is good playing Battlefield 4 at 3440x1440, ultra settings and getting over 200FPS on a 5950X and 6900XT. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Man I like it all. just the temps seem annoying.
I'll wait another 2 years, and see what I can upgrade to from my 5950X. Give DDR5 and the platforms some more time to mature. Noticed in Gamers Nexus that the 13900K had some off 1% lows at times, some worse than 13600K, and 12600K. Likely windows and the e cores.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

27 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Noticed in Gamers Nexus that the 13900K had some off 1% lows at times,

Yeah sometimes it was the worst one, but you also see worse 1% in other more recent high GHz CPUs like with the ryzen 7000 too, I guess it doesn't quite scale well, wonder how direct storage would do for all this when taking off some CPU load.

12 hours ago, jos said:

Scala, node, python, multiple Dockers, multiple databases, and lots of chrome tabs. Ram is very significant. 64gb is bare minimum. Currently 3600x is 86% and 32gb ram is almost full. While buid is going then it is all 100. Working from home. So they provided laptop, a beast of Alienware gaming laptop, but personal desktop still feel snapier.

My post was concerning CPUs and not other components of the system

3 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Yeah sometimes it was the worst one, but you also see worse 1% in other more recent high GHz CPUs like with the ryzen 7000 too, I guess it doesn't quite scale well, wonder how direct storage would do for all this when taking off some CPU load.

That'll be interesting alright.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

What I am really interested about is Meteor lake, considering they will have a chiplet design and iirc, Intel 4 is also slated for 2023, whereas AMD will only have a Zen4 and some 3D v cache chips.

15 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

What I am really interested about is Meteor lake, considering they will have a chiplet design and iirc, Intel 4 is also slated for 2023, whereas AMD will only have a Zen4 and some 3D v cache chips.

Intel has not the best track record to deliver new technologies on time. It was only 18 month ago that Intel launched their infamous Rocket Lake generation. It was backported to 14 nm (old naming scheme) because 10 nm (old naming scheme, nowadays known as Intel 7) wasn't up to the task. I would not waste a second speculating about these things right after the launch of Raptor Lake.

On 10/23/2022 at 11:17 PM, HenrySalayne said:

Intel has not the best track record to deliver new technologies on time. It was only 18 month ago that Intel launched their infamous Rocket Lake generation. It was backported to 14 nm (old naming scheme) because 10 nm (old naming scheme, nowadays known as Intel 7) wasn't up to the task. I would not waste a second speculating about these things right after the launch of Raptor Lake.

Of course there can be a million factors affecting these things, but most of the things I have mentioned are highly likely to be shipped(Intel 4 eg) or have been available (tiles on ponte vecchio)

6 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Of course there can be a million factors affecting these things, but most of the things I have mentioned are highly likely to be shipped(Intel 4 eg) or have been available (tiles on ponte vecchio)

Just to refresh your memory: Intel was shipping 10 nm (old naming scheme) at the time they decided to backport Rocket Lake to 14 nm. Intel 4 might simply not be ready to use for 300W desktop monsters in 2023. And Ponte Vecchio uses silicon interposers, which are really expensive and might not be used in a simple desktop PC.