This is my new gaming PC! (SPONSORED)

SeanLMG

LTT store 1U gaming case, or will LTT work with an existing case manufacturer to get something made together?

It seems like this will be better and more popular than expected.

This may be a silly question, but why not build these using the Framework motherboards and a thunderbolt-PCIE adapter for the GPU?  

Compatible Thunderbolt 3 Laptop External Graphics Card Builds Egpu Stand Pcie3.0 X4 Riser Cable For Win10 Gtx 1060ti + Graphics - Pc Hardware Cables & Adapters - AliExpress

Or maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ADT-Link-Extension-Support-Channel-Mining/dp/B07XMK7ZCR/

Should be a lot easier to fit a laptop motherboard into a 1u chassis.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

2 hours ago, LapsedMemory said:

This may be a silly question, but why not build these using the Framework motherboards and a thunderbolt-PCIE adapter for the GPU?  

what's the point in using laptop parts, when they can already use standard desktop parts? there's no benefit, both in terms of cost, performance, and reparability.

23 minutes ago, moriz1 said:

what's the point in using laptop parts, when they can already use standard desktop parts? there's no benefit, both in terms of cost, performance, and reparability.

Because building a PC shoehorned into a case by using thin cardboard as an insulator is not a wise long-term solution.  1U was not designed to fit full-height motherboards.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

7 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

Because building a PC shoehorned into a case by using thin cardboard as an insulator is not a wise long-term solution.  1U was not designed to fit full-height motherboards.

i expect the cardboard will be replaced by something more suitable in the final build.

as for 1U and full-height motherboards: you're wrong. 1U server cases are typically designed to fit the various ATX/mATX/mITX sizes. whether THIS particular case correctly follows the spec is anyone's guess, but since this is more of a one-off show piece, i expect that it doesn't follow it too closely, hence the issue with standoffs and back insulation.

and no matter what, 1U server cases aren't designed to hold laptop parts.

Have a link to the EK low profile fitting that you used?  I cannot find it on their website.

Kind of funny that 2 days after their video the Level 1 Techs video about Supermicro AS -2114GT-DNR and how 1u is probably going to be dead in the server space because at scale the 2 PCs in a 2U chassis is able to mean more efficient and powerful fans and power supplies.

I too created an account specifically to request the CAD files for the chassis.

On 10/18/2022 at 11:40 AM, Ultraforce said:

Kind of funny that 2 days after their video the Level 1 Techs video about Supermicro AS -2114GT-DNR and how 1u is probably going to be dead in the server space because at scale the 2 PCs in a 2U chassis is able to mean more efficient and powerful fans and power supplies.

Does anyone know of a 2U bare chassis that can accommodate two systems (2 motherboards)?

Hey! I love this idea! I was wondering if you could share the information or schematics for the pc case. I want to do this but won't be hooking it up to a pool, probabally side mounted pumps/Radiator. Please let me know if you can do this. 

Discord: Piekid34#9377

• 1 month later...

I'm in need of at least one 4U rack case, and I could probably add couple 2U because yeah.  first I'm hearing about them, but protocase sounds promising!

can we please get the CAD file linus used for that 1U if possible.  I'm going to reach out to their sales team and start making my own customizations, but would appreciate the starting/reference point.  thanks

32 minutes ago, leftheaded said:

I'm in need of at least one 4U rack case, and I could probably add couple 2U because yeah.  first I'm hearing about them, but protocase sounds promising!

can we please get the CAD file linus used for that 1U if possible.  I'm going to reach out to their sales team and start making my own customizations, but would appreciate the starting/reference point.  thanks

I do think we will likely get the CAD files when things are finished as this version will be less janky then the previous version and Linus explanation for his old ones never being available is there's a lot of bad design choices that it's just not something someone else should deal with. Protocase stuff is probably going to be super expensive and personally I'd recommend looking at if sliger or a similar manufactuer that makes rackmount chassis might have what you need before ordering fully custom. Level1Techs forums might also be a help just because that has more HomeLab people then LTT.

thank you @Ultraforce

i'll check out slinger too.  the protocase guy i just talked to was super helpful and friendly... and he did lmk that you can save money by doing your own design work (ie get the LTT 1U variant 🙂)

he said that their hourly rate for the design is $120, and ballparked $800-1200 if they do the design and manufacturing.  and that it would maybe be half that if you design your own and just use them for manufacturing.  

not cheap, but definitely fair and doable imo for a custom case like this

1 hour ago, leftheaded said:

any idea which rack case linus is using here?  

image.thumb.png.eaad34789f576eb20e63b5d3a96ef78a.png

That's the custom case he and the team at ltt designed.

1 hour ago, leftheaded said:

any idea which rack case linus is using here?  

image.thumb.png.eaad34789f576eb20e63b5d3a96ef78a.png

It's a custom case he's been using since the "personal rig upgrade 2015" videos (which stretched into 2016). He's said he won't release the CAD files for it because it has design flaws he only realized after he actually started building in it. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I was considering similar consolidation of all machines into a rack similar to what Linus did at his old house (don't need a baller big ass rack like at his new one :P) and was looking for something like his old 4U chassis for my main rig and for my server (don't plan for a LAN center ... YET :P)

anyways I've found following chassis :

https://www.fantec.de/produkte/serverprodukte/19-server-storagegehaeuse/produkt/details/artikel/3214_fantec_tcg_4860x07_1/

https://www.inter-tech.de/produktdetails-17/4U_4129L.html

unfortunately both have only 2x120 unlike Linus' custom one but if the 5" bays remain empty that shouldn't obstruct the airflow too much I guess.

There's also a really compact one from Silverstone that looks really appealing imho :

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/server-nas/RM44/

Maybe someone has better recommendations, I'm curious what the @leftheaded will end up with 🙂

Alien v1.0

Spoiler

i7 6850K @4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage V Edition 10
Corsair H115i

GTX 1080Ti FE
Dell S2716DG

128 GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Corsair AX1200i 
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB

4 hours ago, r4q said:

I was considering similar consolidation of all machines into a rack similar to what Linus did at his old house (don't need a baller big ass rack like at his new one :P) and was looking for something like his old 4U chassis for my main rig and for my server (don't plan for a LAN center ... YET :P)

anyways I've found following chassis :

https://www.fantec.de/produkte/serverprodukte/19-server-storagegehaeuse/produkt/details/artikel/3214_fantec_tcg_4860x07_1/

https://www.inter-tech.de/produktdetails-17/4U_4129L.html

unfortunately both have only 2x120 unlike Linus' custom one but if the 5" bays remain empty that shouldn't obstruct the airflow too much I guess.

There's also a really compact one from Silverstone that looks really appealing imho :

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/server-nas/RM44/

Maybe someone has better recommendations, I'm curious what the @leftheaded will end up with 🙂

Sliger of course is one of the big names I know I had been thinking of rack mounted PC before deciding just having the PC further away and not have to worry about what happens when I move out in terms of bringing up a rack.

• 5 months later...

Have the CAD files been released to this yet I want to do this already.

• 2 months later...

Are there any Pulseway alternatives for personal, home use?