This is my new gaming PC! (SPONSORED)

SeanLMG

Thanks to Pulseway for sponsoring this video! If you want to use Pulseway to manage your devices like we do, you can get a no commitment free trial with an exclusive offer at https://www.pulseway.com/land/linus?rfid=linus22

Buy an Asus Prime B550M-A/CSM: https://geni.us/0OfxYUA

Buy a Ryzen 7 3700X: https://geni.us/B3TvGT

Buy a Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0: https://geni.us/mu7fA

Buy a kit of Vengeance LPX 16GB: https://geni.us/b6qUE

Buy an Asus EKWB GeForce RTX 3090: https://geni.us/TZu6I1k

Buy an FSP 850-50FGPH3 850W Flex ATX Power Supply: https://geni.us/pADD

Buy an Alphacool Eisblock XPX Pro 1U: https://geni.us/tKpAjx

Check out the Icron 3-2-1 3124: https://lmg.gg/WlOqj

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Linus make your own Fan-splitter/hub.

It should be as easy as just wiring all the cables together, to a breakout on the motherboard.

To make it extra flat, design your own PCB.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

you can buy 3-pin or 4-pin fan headers off of just about any parts retailer (such as digikey).

combine that with some creative soldering, or some of that 'parallel strips' prototyping board and you have yourself a fan splitter for as many fans as you want. if you use PWM fans you can just bring in a +12v line from molex too.

(if anyone is gonna do this, dont forget to drill away the trace along the tacho pins, you dont want that to be there..)

PCB-LINE-FR2-9X15-1-450x255.jpg

Server PSUs sound louder due to often having way more air resistance to work against.

FlexATX power supplies are actually often rather roomy inside of them and often focused at regular consumers, while a lot of server PSUs are a fair bit more compact.

But having a 1U server case that caters to a more regular computer isn't a bad idea.

I myself have been eyeing some 3-4 U cases as potential candidates for future builds of my own. Currently use a 2U case for my home NAS/server.

I specifically created that account, just to tell you:

Why dont you use Kapton tape for the "buffering"?

Its fire/heat resistant, non electrical, pretty small formfactor , easy to cut and lay out and also helps with cooling, by beeing able to transfer heat.

Its perfect for the job. Its also "okayish" pricewise. 180mm width, 30 metres length for ~30 bucks.

Also PLEASE dont use electrical tape on devices which are going to be "permanent provisional".

Electrician tape uses to get small and the glue janks up after a year or two with heat around it.

Other than that: Nice setup, iam already jelly. :V

Outdoor swimming pools are a crazy idea in the UK but my gaming PC has been in the laundry room for a year now, clothes dry very fast! Humidity doesn't seem to have been a problem. There is an exhaust fan that runs if the room gets too moist or hot and I put a vent into the garage that allows cold air to be pulled into the room.

Just about to get a rack and make it a bit more formal, been some great ideas coming from these videos. 😄

I am wondering if a heat recovery system that just dumps it into the hot water tank might be worth a shot so still looking forward to that one!

3 minutes ago, Dexruus said:

I specifically created that account, just to tell you:

Why dont you use Kapton tape for the "buffering"?

Its fire/heat resistant, non electrical, pretty small formfactor , easy to cut and lay out and also helps with cooling, by beeing able to transfer heat.

Its perfect for the job. Its also "okayish" pricewise. 180mm width, 30 metres length for ~30 bucks.

Also PLEASE dont use electrical tape on devices which are going to be "permanent provisional".

Electrician tape uses to get small and the glue janks up after a year or two with heat around it.

Other than that: Nice setup, iam already jelly. :V

Polyamide tape is indeed a good thing for this type of application. (Kapton is a brand of polyamide tape.) But I don't suspect that LMG has such in their office, and most people don't really think about it even existing.

However, it is not all that robust and pins can scrape their way through it rather trivially. (Even a pin occasionally bumping onto the same spot will wear through.)

But one can get polyamid sheets that are of sufficient thickness to not noticeably wear over time. (Layering tape isn't a solution either, since it doesn't provide the same bulk. As a crude example, cutting through a book with a knife is easier than a similarly thick plank of solid wood. Same applies to polyamid tape vs sheets.)

Also, polyamid tape wouldn't help with cooling. I myself use it to shield surrounding components from getting heated during hot air reflow of SMD components. It is a decent thermal insulator if anything.

Then there is "electrical" tape. (It is just plastic tape, there is nothing that makes it specifically "electrical", and it should honestly not be marketed that way either due to its ease of melting and general lack of fire suppression, and the resulting smoke is not that nice either...)

Honestly, I think that one has bigger issues at hand if one's server case gets warm enough for the glue used for this tape to struggle. And plastic tape is generally more rugged than polyamide tape. So if anything I would say it is a marginally better candidate than polyamide tape in this application.

20 minutes ago, lunaraewolfgoddess said:

I want the link to the chassis cause i am thinking of doing both mine and my partners pcs like this 

I think if they will release CAD files it will be when there's a video saying here it is or after implementing it with Linus's own computer since he had talked about the CAD files for the previous rack case was just poorly designed and wants to make sure it works before making them available.

Fingers crossed we get the CAD file(s) for this chassis. I’m building a new house and going to have a 3-4 station LAN center. Already have GPU servers I was planning to virtualize for the LAN PCs but if anti-cheat poses a problem I want to go this route too. 

I’ve been looking at 1U chassis options but they all suck for this purpose. I especially like the layout here and the ability to have knockouts for fiber, DisplayPort, and water cooling quick connects. 

IMO this design seems super promising compared to Linus’ old 4U design case. 

what display port extension cables are used I have been looking for good ones for some time I have my gpu vertical mounted in a COSMOS C700M case and you can’t plug in any cables anymore and some cables wont even fit since they hit the back of the case

I have tried many cables but a lot of them don’t work my display is really critical of the cables used its an ASUS ROG Strix XG438Q and it needs to be at least DP 1.4

I have some cables that work now but they don’t have screw holes so I can make a mounting backed

2 hours ago, Bluedrago505 said:

Do we know what brand of tubing was used? Linus spent a bit of time explaining why it was so good but there's no link for it! 

To answer the question I also had: this is EK ZMT aka EPDM tubing

50 minutes ago, Ritchie89 said:

what display port extension cables are used I have been looking for good ones for some time I have my gpu vertical mounted in a COSMOS C700M case and you can’t plug in any cables anymore and some cables wont even fit since they hit the back of the case

I have tried many cables but a lot of them don’t work my display is really critical of the cables used its an ASUS ROG Strix XG438Q and it needs to be at least DP 1.4

I have some cables that work now but they don’t have screw holes so I can make a mounting backed

he doesn't really say, he has display port cabling in the walls.

1 hour ago, lunaraewolfgoddess said:

I want the link to the chassis cause i am thinking of doing both mine and my partners pcs like this 

I registered only to say that I need that chassis too, I'm like years looking for a chassis exactly like that!

3 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

he doesn't really say, he has display port cabling in the walls.

he has the DP to fibber and then fibber in the walls if I’m not mistaking but I wane know what the small cables in the case are

Oh the irony and memory - this recalls my experience with my first Windows 95 build where the cheap case I was using was so badly aligned I had to take the MB standoffs out to make it fit and then use a piece of cardboard under the mobo to prevent it from shorting. That cardboard has stayed in there ever since and the machine ran fine for years.

Speaking of fan splitters/hubs, I guess nobody ever told Jake about those Swiftech 8-way PWM splitters🤣 I have four of them in my rig to run and monitor the 30 fans I have and they do an absolutely amazing job. More importantly these have been in there for 7 years now running 24/7 so that poor reliability argument he maintains gets thrown out with the trash.

8wayPWM.PNG

I’m aware that LMG haven’t released the CAD files for this chassis yet, but are there any similar empty server chassis’ out there, either 1U or 2U? I’d really like to build a PC like this.

MacBook Pro 2015 15" with Touch Bar (2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560, 512GB NVMe Storage). Second laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5547 running linux (ubuntu distro). Currently planning a windows desktop build for later this year.

Nice setup wish I had that, was going to build a similar setup with a 3080 and different case 6 months ago I got everything except the graphics card, the company I bought the 3080 from went bankrupt, still hoping to get my money back.... 

4 hours ago, Luscious said:

Oh the irony and memory - this recalls my experience with my first Windows 95 build where the cheap case I was using was so badly aligned I had to take the MB standoffs out to make it fit and then use a piece of cardboard under the mobo to prevent it from shorting. That cardboard has stayed in there ever since and the machine ran fine for years.

Speaking of fan splitters/hubs, I guess nobody ever told Jake about those Swiftech 8-way PWM splitters🤣 I have four of them in my rig to run and monitor the 30 fans I have and they do an absolutely amazing job. More importantly these have been in there for 7 years now running 24/7 so that poor reliability argument he maintains gets thrown out with the trash.

I have used at least 5 different hubs in everything from PCs to room transfer fans to network cooling etc and so far every one of them have failed. All the ones I have running now, I've had previously fail on me. I have like 4 extras new in box just waiting for more to die. His argument is completely valid.

Look, I would love a bunch of Icron 3-2-1 around the house, but for $2000 I could just buy a whole damn other computer.  Why is this thing so damn expensive?

Yes yes, I can use the copper ethernet version of USB extenders, but they are susceptible to inductive loads around them and will disconnect USB every time the my AC or fridge turns on.  I could work around it, but honestly for KVM and extenders, fiber is king.  I just wish they'd knock down the price to $200. 

Wishful thinking.

10 hours ago, RandomAccessGuy said:

I registered only to say that I need that chassis too, I'm like years looking for a chassis exactly like that!

Didn't you watch the video? They clearly said, that it was custom made. Nothing you can buy. They may release the CAD files when it is confirmed, that it works like intended

17 hours ago, manikyath said:

you can buy 3-pin or 4-pin fan headers off of just about any parts retailer (such as digikey).

combine that with some creative soldering, or some of that 'parallel strips' prototyping board and you have yourself a fan splitter for as many fans as you want. if you use PWM fans you can just bring in a +12v line from molex too.

(if anyone is gonna do this, dont forget to drill away the trace along the tacho pins, you dont want that to be there..)

PCB-LINE-FR2-9X15-1-450x255.jpg

This would indeed be good for prototyping.

Though to make it work even better, by designing their own PCB's in "Kicad"

As they can design it how they want. making it as big as they need. or as small as they need.

They can even use female-female cables, to make the Fan-hub universal. allowing you to expand on it, or use as short of a cable as you need. since then they can adjust the cable trough a DIY cable-job. instead of having to order new hubs, with shorter cables [that might be too short]

The Idea can be compared to a larger/longer version of:

https://global.deepcool.com/products/Accessories/accessories/2021/11375.shtml

5 hours ago, LowTechRider said:

For the problem with fan splitter, I suggest this
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=splitty9

Bild_2022-10-17_073819869.png

The only problem with those is the issue that the cables are not coming out FLAT. which would be a lot better, to keep it in a neat nice small space.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

17 hours ago, KingOlim said:

I’m aware that LMG haven’t released the CAD files for this chassis yet, but are there any similar empty server chassis’ out there, either 1U or 2U? I’d really like to build a PC like this.

Do an amazon search for "Rackmount ATX" and you should get a whole bunch of them.  Mostly 2U-4U.  Monoprice also sells a few models.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T