Do GPU prices actually drop when a new series is annouced / released?

EmperorSuper

I want to wait for the new AMD cards to come out before I buy one from the 6000 series

Is it worth waiting for their prices to drop? How long does it take? Does anyone have any data from past announcements / releases?

Currently running a gtx1060 6gb and am on a very limited budget

Sorry if this is a common question

Yes of course older models decrease in perceived value when newer model get announced or is released, less demand for old model high supply

The used market tends to drop after about a month (enough time for people to upgrade to the next gen cards and list them on eBay/Craigslist/wherever). New last gen cards are weird, the top end cards sometimes go on clearance at the same time, sometimes they get put in bundle deals but not the card itself, sometimes they just stay at their high prices and get offloaded through other methods so they "maintain an image of being premium." Basically, we don't know, AMD hasn't really released a high end GPU in about a decade, let alone had one replaced, so we don't really know how they want to handle the pricing of it.

That said, if you're on a limited budget, it's probably not worth waiting for 7000 series to launch, let alone for their prices to drop. AMD releases cards like Nvidia, from top to bottom, so on November 3rd we should see the 7900 XT and 7800 XT, but it's 50/50 whether we'll see a 7800 non-XT and we're almost certainly not gonna see anything lower than that, so realistically there isn't anything that will be pushing the lower end cards down in price for a few months at least. An RX 6600 or 6600 XT will maintain a very similar place in the used market for a decent amount of time since it doesn't have a replacement to push it down, and won't till probably January at the absolute earlier, likely closer to March/April. If you were looking towards something like a 6700 XT, then maybe it's worth holding out to see if people upgrade from that to a 7800 XT, but for anything lower it's generally not a good idea. 

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The used market tends to drop after about a month (enough time for people to upgrade to the next gen cards and list them on eBay/Craigslist/wherever). New last gen cards are weird, the top end cards sometimes go on clearance at the same time, sometimes they get put in bundle deals but not the card itself, sometimes they just stay at their high prices and get offloaded through other methods so they "maintain an image of being premium." Basically, we don't know, AMD hasn't really released a high end GPU in about a decade, let alone had one replaced, so we don't really know how they want to handle the pricing of it.

That said, if you're on a limited budget, it's probably not worth waiting for 7000 series to launch, let alone for their prices to drop. AMD releases cards like Nvidia, from top to bottom, so on November 3rd we should see the 7900 XT and 7800 XT, but it's 50/50 whether we'll see a 7800 non-XT and we're almost certainly not gonna see anything lower than that, so realistically there isn't anything that will be pushing the lower end cards down in price for a few months at least. An RX 6600 or 6600 XT will maintain a very similar place in the used market for a decent amount of time since it doesn't have a replacement to push it down, and won't till probably January at the absolute earlier, likely closer to March/April. If you were looking towards something like a 6700 XT, then maybe it's worth holding out to see if people upgrade from that to a 7800 XT, but for anything lower it's generally not a good idea. 

Thank you so much for the info, it was much needed

I'm not really aiming for the used market since I want the warranty of new and am hoping to get something to last me another 5 or so years

I don't really think it'll be worth it to wait for any clearance sales since importers here charge such a huge markup that it's cheaper to buy any card from amazon even with the estimated import fees

Do you mind if I tack on another question here... when I searched for listings on amazon this company called XFX showed up that sells their cards at considerably cheaper than anyone else, I've at least heard of every other company except them at *some* point so it comes off a bit sketchy, are they trustworthy?

33 minutes ago, EmperorSuper said:

Is it worth waiting for their prices to drop? How long does it take? Does anyone have any data from past announcements / releases?

AMD already dropped the MSRP for their RX 6000 cards by quite a bit. How long it takes for retailers to adjust actual sales prices will depend on the region you live in and how desperate they are to clear their inventory. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-lowers-radeon-rx-6000-msrp/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, EmperorSuper said:

when I searched for listings on amazon this company called XFX showed up that sells their cards at considerably cheaper than anyone else, I've at least heard of every other company except them at *some* point so it comes off a bit sketchy, are they trustworthy?

XFX is a pretty big GPU manufacturer, they've been making GPUs for at least 15 years (probably longer but that's about the first GPU I can think of theirs). They exclusively make AMD GPUs and have been one of the top manufacturers of AMD cards, along with Powercolor and Sapphire. I've got a couple XFX cards, so I wouldn't really worry about that. 

If they're priced weird, I'd more be curious of the sellers than the cards, XFX GPUs are actually quite good. 

Prices have dropped like crazy already, is there a certain price point that your waiting on?

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x