Where did this "Linux is only free if you don't value your time" propaganda came from?

XA33
On 8/23/2023 at 8:15 AM, jsnotlout1 said:

As someone who has bricked my fair share of Linux (Various Distros) installs. It really is a time-heavy OS. Stuff takes way longer then on Windows where you can just click a button, or install one thing. For example. The Wireless adapter I have in my server required at least 30 minutes to set up. This could be due to my lack of knowledge. But gathering all the firmware and dependencies was a very long and tedious process.

I am using linux for my homelab for yeas now, it is as simple as set it up and forget it (once every few months just update) and I have never had an issue, NAS, Proxmox with VM for Homeassist, Docker, everything runs with no downtime, stable as rock and fast.
On the other hand I was playing with Distros for my PC for a long time... yes, it is time heavy, checking all the distros, hardware compatibility, installing and breaking freshly installed with nVidia crap.

So now I can say from experience.
If you have nVidia and do not want to waste time - PopOS or Mint have the right drivers and support, no wayland yet.
If you have AMD system - use any distro you want it will just run.

Distro hoping? Easy, use Ventoy on USB with all distros you need, keep your data on NAS, installing any distro takes minutes, not few hours like windows (with all the updates, drivers and restarts Microsoft welcomes you with)

My way of dealing with Windows - keep it in VM for all your missing apps, until you find and learn to use alternatives.
Games? On Radeon and Steam with Proton - ZERO issues.

18 hours ago, madseason said:

once every few months just update

ah, nah, thanks, rather stay on Windows then, never have to update, it just works!  Sure was tempting tho... /s

18 hours ago, madseason said:

nVidia

oh, yeah... seriously, i wouldn't mind a second, dedicated linux system with an amd gpu, but i can't afford it, and previous experience with amd means, I'll stay with nvidia as daily driver probably forever lol. 

like honestly if linux works for someone,  great, for me it just doesn't,  too clunky, too many obstacles,  too many workarounds. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/7/2023 at 1:17 AM, Mark Kaine said:

ah, nah, thanks, rather stay on Windows then, never have to update, it just works!  Sure was tempting tho... /s

This is wrong in so many ways!

1. You should definitely update Windows on a regular basis!
  2. Upgrading Linux is a way better experience than updating Windows... You have no Idea how simple it is!
    Software management on Linux is similar to an android phone if you will... Your apps and package come from a "store" and get updated in a few seconds.

like honestly if linux works for someone,  great, for me it just doesn't,  too clunky, too many obstacles,  too many workarounds. 

I respect that it is not for everyone, and I don't mind people using the tools they know, but your reasons are not based on facts...
As previous posts stated, if you have an Nvidia card, Install Pop!OS (a flavor of Linux) and it will work... No workaround, and definitely not clunky!

If it has been done before, I can do it...

If it has never been done, just leave me some time to find a way!

2 minutes ago, Normand_Nadon said:

This is wrong in so many ways!

1. You should definitely update Windows on a regular basis!
  2. Upgrading Linux is a way better experience than updating Windows... You have no Idea how simple it is!
    Software management on Linux is similar to an android phone if you will... Your apps and package come from a "store" and get updated in a few seconds.

I respect that it is not for everyone, and I don't mind people using the tools they know, but your reasons are not based on facts...
As previous posts stated, if you have an Nvidia card, Install Pop!OS (a flavor of Linux) and it will work... No workaround, and definitely not clunky!

no wayland tho

2 minutes ago, Normand_Nadon said:

You should definitely update Windows on a regular basis

only over my dead body ~

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

no wayland tho

Wayland is available on Pop!OS and have been for a while... I just don't care about it for now... And will switch when it becomes the default for my distro

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

only over my dead body ~

I see... I guess I fell in the Troll trap... Have a nice day!

11 minutes ago, Normand_Nadon said:

Wayland is available on Pop!OS

thought someone said it wasn't but ok. (gonna have to check ig)

i see... I guess I fell in the Troll trap..........

No, there's nothing inherently wrong with staying on a stable os version,  installed in 2017 and still going strong, tyvm ~

do you even know what a troll is?(don't answer that) 

watch this, stop living in constant fear...

Have a nice day!

Thanks! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

thought someone said it wasn't but ok. (gonna have to check ig)

It is just not enabled by default... But if that is what stopping you from using Linux, I really don't understand your thought process...
You don't want to update Windows because your good old version works well enough, yet you want to use Wayland, the new shiny still in development thing, instead of the venerable X.org... 

No, there's nothing inherently wrong with staying on a stable os version,  installed in 2017 and still going strong, tyvm ~

Not upgrading to Windows 11 is legitimate (I hate Windows 11, it is horrible!)... Not updading the system, drivers and applications is really a bad idea! There are dozens of reasons to update, security is one of them, but bugfixes, optimizations, better performance, QOL improvements are many others!

do you even know what a troll is?(don't answer that) 

Ah dang it... I am sure I could have come with a clever answer!

watch this, stop living in constant fear...

Aaaah... Marilyn Manson... Such an underrated, highly intelligent individual... He is the living representation of "judging a book by its cover"
So much to unravel when we get past first impressions!

And I don't live in fear... I live in awareness, to avoid fear!

Good day!

On 11/9/2023 at 1:16 AM, Normand_Nadon said:

Such an underrated, highly intelligent individua

is he underrated?  feels more like... it just didn't age well...

back in the day he certainly wasn't underrated. well, i never really cared about the personality,  even though yes, he's smart, i just kinda liked the music.  🙂

And I don't live in fear... I live in awareness, to avoid fear!

meh... sounds like fear to me...

("update your windows kids, or else... !")

Spoiler

^that's exactly what Microsoft, and consequently "Linux" wants you to think...

Marilyn Manson wouldn't update their windows!  (ig!)

Ah dang it...

Too bad, no clever retort for you! 😉

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 1 month later...

Everyone is complaining about updates, but remember in Linux YOU, not the system tells you when to update only that updates are available. You have control over which updates you want, including none, if you so desire. Updates are installed in the background and only in rare cases is a reboot necessary. You can even delay the reboot for days if you desire, the system will still work with no problems.

You can even choose when and how often you want to check for updates, anywhere from hourly to monthly.

On 10/9/2022 at 12:42 AM, BondiBlue said:

Lol, what? What are you talking about? It takes two clicks to make a folder on Windows as well. 

It's just one actually.

image.png.1485b37d357af2fd2e950e4df4ed5cee.png

• 2 weeks later...

… and got infected.😀

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

(suppose you use Debian). 

Is that a big deal ?

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2022 at 9:05 PM, xAcid9 said:

Mouse peasant. 

KDE Dolphin > Press F10 > Enter

Yes. You can open a PDF with Office and it will convert them automatically to be editable. 

It is possible to simply download a file and double click to install it though. 

☝️🤓 on windows you can press ctrl+shift+n and enter

Becuse it is.

I ran Linux for a couple of years when Windows Vista launched, then i bought a used desktop with W10 Pro preinstalled so i continued using it.

After that i have used it for some tasks at work and tride it a couple of time son my laptop.

At work we gave up due to issus with the IT-dep and the lack of control and lockdown on Linux machines and my own laptop just did not work very well.

- Half the battery time compared to Windows 10

- Lots of tinkering to get the touchpad to work, first i used Pop!OS but due to the lack of Grub as startup manager it was impossible to get it to work, elementary OS though after changing some line in the GRUB system files as administrator it worked, but then it was still an issue with app compatibility so i gave up after like a year...

- I want the app to work on Linux in general, if the hardware requirements are met, not on a distro-level. And i'm too lazy to install via comand promt, the software library has always sucked in my mind.

- I really don't care if all my windows apps works or not, i just have to learn a new program, although GIMP can not nativley support NEF-files on linux. Why? No one seems to know.

I ended upp installing Win 11 instead. And even though that omouter is not supported, it was way less work to get averything working in Win 11 than in Linux.

4 hours ago, ObsoleteTech said:

Becuse it is.

I ran Linux for a couple of years when Windows Vista launched, then i bought a used desktop with W10 Pro preinstalled so i continued using it.

After that i have used it for some tasks at work and tride it a couple of time son my laptop.

At work we gave up due to issus with the IT-dep and the lack of control and lockdown on Linux machines and my own laptop just did not work very well.

- Half the battery time compared to Windows 10

- Lots of tinkering to get the touchpad to work, first i used Pop!OS but due to the lack of Grub as startup manager it was impossible to get it to work, elementary OS though after changing some line in the GRUB system files as administrator it worked, but then it was still an issue with app compatibility so i gave up after like a year...

- I want the app to work on Linux in general, if the hardware requirements are met, not on a distro-level. And i'm too lazy to install via comand promt, the software library has always sucked in my mind.

- I really don't care if all my windows apps works or not, i just have to learn a new program, although GIMP can not nativley support NEF-files on linux. Why? No one seems to know.

I ended upp installing Win 11 instead. And even though that omouter is not supported, it was way less work to get averything working in Win 11 than in Linux.

Of course if you want to interact solely with the Microsoft ecosystem, in a Microsoft only business, it will be simpler using Microsoft's OS to get started.

But once the initial setup and workflow adaptation is behind, I would not go back to Windows... All the users in the company are fighting against their machines all day, while my team, all on Pop!OS, we barely ever have issues!