Sharing internet from my Desktop

technerd02
1 hour ago, Dakiskendo said:

Can I use any router to clone the laptop's MAC address?

I don't know for every possible router out there, but it is common and has been common for a long time.
Here is how that feature looks like for TP-Link Archer C5 V7 (AC1750 , "best seller" on Amazon):

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.180d0f40de32ab10332374a237336add.png

image.png.4eb75f66783df0eb37ee36000900b2b0.png

You will just have to check the manual for the router you want to purchase and see if has that feature. Or order from a place that allows free returns in a certain time period.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

48 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What you can do is add a second ethernet card to your pc and pass internet through it. That works well and has been a stablr feature off windows for decades.

Then hook it up to whatever.

Yeah. I just hope the retail shop where I bought it from will accept the range extender back for a refund or atleast replacement for a different item. For now we are using my girlfriend's laptop as a hotspot. I wont get a router as I dont want to get banned or kicked out of the dorm. Thanks for all the advices!

2 hours ago, Dakiskendo said:

Yeah. I just hope the retail shop where I bought it from will accept the range extender back for a refund or atleast replacement for a different item. For now we are using my girlfriend's laptop as a hotspot. I wont get a router as I dont want to get banned or kicked out of the dorm. Thanks for all the advices!

Wise decision, using a PC is certainly the least likely to be detectable IMO.  Its all rather silly, I don't know why they don't just have their own WiFi for this.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 10/9/2022 at 1:52 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Wise decision, using a PC is certainly the least likely to be detectable IMO.  Its all rather silly, I don't know why they don't just have their own WiFi for this.

They do,but the signal from this part of the building is TERRIBLE,like i'd connect to it,try loading something and it just disconnects. Its ridiculous to me that they abandon an entire part of a building/campus and not put an Access Point and people have to buy their own internet which is again forbidden to have unless its the mobile 4g limited data crap...

The only good thing is that you have two ethernet connectors in the room,so I routed them to my PC and to my gf's laptop,otherwise we wouldnt have internet at all. Although,it saved me money since its basically like 5-10 ping and 100mbit speed on my pc so atleast the gaming sessions are lit 🙂 Browsing youtube and stuff on your phone though... Not without a pc/laptop hotspot.