My gpu turns into a jet with some games

anakinvl

Hey, so as my title says my gpu sounds like a jet sometimes when playing certain games (battlefield, wow, bdo and others).
It will stay at normal sound and suddently ramp up then cool back down, also maybe worth noting it hasn't always done this.

The issue occurs in BDO whenever I'm in combat.
GPU: 2070 super (temps when playing games are 75-85 degrees celsius) cpu: 5900x
if there are others specs that you need feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Fans ramping full speed cause hotness, 85C is quite toasty for a 2070S

And the 5900X is a hot beast and may heat the case inside, what's your cooling ?

Maybe you have bad airflow too, and could add case fans, else just cap GPU temp or reduce clock in Afterburner

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Notice the usage or temps when the fans ramp up like crazy.

This also happens to me, only on certain games that is, like total war warhammer, the game uses a lot of my GPU  in a spike, and ramps up the fans only on certain scenarios.

So, the issue here is the game.

Or, your GPU/PC is too dirty now, since it was not an issue before.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

6 minutes ago, anakinvl said:

Hey, so as my title says my gpu sounds like a jet sometimes when playing certain games (battlefield, wow, bdo and others).
It will stay at normal sound and suddently ramp up then cool back down, also maybe worth noting it hasn't always done this.

The issue occurs in BDO whenever I'm in combat.
GPU: 2070 super (temps when playing games are 75-85 degrees celsius) cpu: 5900x
if there are others specs that you need feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Clean pc + gpu and repaste gpu

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Clean pc + gpu and repaste gpu

Did both, sadly with no result, I can always try to repaste again (its done like 5 months ago)

What is likely happening is the GPU is reaching a high temperature, such as 85°C, and then the fan profile is telling the graphics card fans to go to full speed to cool the card, and then when it drops a few degrees the fan profile relaxes and the fan speed drops down. Some games are more demanding than others and you might not be reaching such high temps in other games.

I would recommend looking at customising the fan curve profile for your graphics card. Your graphics card manufacturer likely has software to tweak settings with the card including the fan profile, but software from other vendors such as MSI's Afterburner generally works for other cards as well.

Smooth out the fan curve with more, smaller steps so that the fans ramp up gradually, hopefully preventing it from getting as hot while also minimising the noticeable large fluctuations in fan speed when it hits the next point on the curve.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Notice the usage or temps when the fans ramp up like crazy.

This also happens to me, only on certain games that is, like total war warhammer, the game uses a lot of my GPU  in a spike, and ramps up the fans only on certain scenarios.

So, the issue here is the game.

Or, your GPU/PC is too dirty now, since it was not an issue before.

Cleaned my pc, so yeah might be the games, however I did play these games before with no issues

9 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Fans ramping full speed cause hotness, 85C is quite toasty for a 2070S

And the 5900X is a hot beast and may heat the case inside, what's your cooling ?

Maybe you have bad airflow too, and could add case fans, else just cap GPU temp or reduce clock in Afterburner

My cooler was like 80 euro, so maybe I will look into getting a better one

1 minute ago, anakinvl said:

Did both, sadly with no result, I can always try to repaste again (its done like 5 months ago)

Yes do that and make sure the gpu is covered. A pea size dot should spread nicely.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Yes do that and make sure the gpu is covered. A pea size dot should spread nicely.

Will do! thank you!

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What is likely happening is the GPU is reaching a high temperature, such as 85°C, and then the fan profile is telling the graphics card fans to go to full speed to cool the card, and then when it drops a few degrees the fan profile relaxes and the fan speed drops down. Some games are more demanding than others and you might not be reaching such high temps in other games.

I would recommend looking at customising the fan curve profile for your graphics card. Your graphics card manufacturer likely has software to tweak settings with the card including the fan profile, but software from other vendors such as MSI's Afterburner generally works for other cards as well.

Smooth out the fan curve with more, smaller steps so that the fans ramp up gradually, hopefully preventing it from getting as hot while also minimising the noticeable large fluctuations in fan speed when it hits the next point on the curve.

Will try this, thanks alot!

Just now, anakinvl said:

Will try this, thanks alot!

Also be sure to tighten the screws using a x pattern and all the way down (without overtightning) 

FS in Denmark/EU:

6 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Also be sure to tighten the screws using a x pattern and all the way down (without overtightning) 

Good tip! thanks again

27 minutes ago, anakinvl said:

Will do! thank you!

With GPUs its important to cover the entire die as there are no heat spreader like on the CPU, so dont just rely on the pressure from the cooler to spread the thermal paste out. Spread it manually so that it covers all of it

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

You could also try to undervolt your GPU. This can have a huge effect on thermals without losing any performance.
It is explained here:

On 9/27/2022 at 11:13 AM, Tegneren said:

With GPUs its important to cover the entire die as there are no heat spreader like on the CPU, so dont just rely on the pressure from the cooler to spread the thermal paste out. Spread it manually so that it covers all of it

hmm yeah okay, pretty sure I messed up here!

On 9/27/2022 at 12:25 PM, Devryd said:

You could also try to undervolt your GPU. This can have a huge effect on thermals without losing any performance.
It is explained here:

ill check it out thanks for the help!