How usable is an android 7 phone today?

iSynthMan
Go to solution Solved by Commodus,
18 hours ago, iSynthMan said:

I was browsing ebay and noticed Xperia Z5 Premium phones going for about $110.

Thought it might be a cool phone to have as a secondary device I can use to just goof around in Android, watch youtube and multimedia content in it's gorgeous 4K display, maybe set up a separate work phone number.

What do you guys think? 

To riff on what huilun02 said, it's both the hardware and the software you ought to be worried about; it'll probably be a rough experience all around, whether it's software support or a short battery life.

I'd get a recent Moto G phone if you want to keep costs down, or a Pixel 6a if you're willing to 'splurge' on an experimental Android device.

Thought it might be a cool phone to have as a secondary device I can use to just goof around in Android, watch youtube and multimedia content in it's gorgeous 4K display, maybe set up a separate work phone number.

What do you guys think? 

Well it's long out of date for security updates, and it's by far out of date spec-wise so I wouldn't expect it to be snappy, I really wouldn't recommend web browsing with it given that it's significantly beyond security updates.

Just now, BiotechBen said:

Well it's long out of date for security updates, and it's by far out of date spec-wise so I wouldn't expect it to be snappy, I really wouldn't recommend web browsing with it given that it's significantly beyond security updates.

It had a then-impressive Snapdragon 810, as a high end device. How bad could it be?

How about the compatibility with play store apps today?

7 minutes ago, iSynthMan said:

It had a then-impressive Snapdragon 810, as a high end device. How bad could it be?

How about the compatibility with play store apps today?

From left to right: SD810, SD 480 (modern low budget chip), SD 870 (previous gen flagship in my phone), lowest end Core2 duo I could find

App compatibility is going to be rough potentially, mostly with play store version. If it was recently updated: no sweat. If it's been sitting in a drawer for a few years: may not have a new enough play store version to update the play store.

Screenshot_20220926-230741.png

18 hours ago, iSynthMan said:

What do you guys think? 

To riff on what huilun02 said, it's both the hardware and the software you ought to be worried about; it'll probably be a rough experience all around, whether it's software support or a short battery life.

I'd get a recent Moto G phone if you want to keep costs down, or a Pixel 6a if you're willing to 'splurge' on an experimental Android device.