What are your thoughts on my first pc build?

Sen.Armstrong

This build is a rough first draft for a pc that I'm planning to build.

Built for playing modern mmorpg games like final fantasy 14 on 1080p 144hz max settings

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gtZFxs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - 200$ | GPU: XFX Speedster Radeon RX 6600 - 310$ | Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH - 160$ | RAM: ADATA 16 GB - 80$ | SSD: Verbatim Vi550 SATA III 512gb - 50$ | PSU: SilverStone SST-SX500-LG v 2.0 500gb - 160$ | CPU FAN: Thermaltake UX 100 - 16$ | Screen: MSI Optix G272 - 330$ | Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C - 110$

Total cost: 1416$

Are any parts here overpriced or overkill? What are your thoughts on this build?

I live in Europe btw. Unlimited budget

2) Would it be a good idea to buy a standard atx mobo with many pcie slots and a ryzen 7000 cpu , so then I upgrade in the far future I won't need to spend on a new mobo and cpu and this way save money?

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it a ton 🙂

FF14 doesn't need much because it's a pretty old game but I think you'll be fine with a build like that, I also made this build that'd also work

https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/8r6q78

As for the gpu: you're probably best off buying a used 1080ti or 2070s for RTX; an ATX motherboard is pretty unnecessary with more pci-e slots is pretty unnecessary because what will you put in them? A capture card? 10 gig network card? Most of those are not very necessary or can just be done with USB.

Ryzen 7000 might be smart because it IS very efficient but not necessary unless you plan on upgrading in the next 2-4 years I think you won't get that much benefit from it except from being able to carry over DDR5 ram but you'll wanna upgrade that by then anyway because much better stuff should be out then since it's still fairly new.

Also unless size is a concern to you I'd go with a larger case because SFX PSUs are expensive, less reliable, louder and more expensive then their ATX counterparts 

Also those small blower style coolers like on your list are sometimes worse then the free stock cooler, you're better off with an AIO like the Arctic freezer or proper tower cooler like something from Noctua or scythe.

Also check with some more local sites (or even your country's PCPartPicker) to see what's available there, some things are cheaper locally vs the US; in the Netherlands Tweakers.net is great, try finding something for your country.

The build doesn’t make much sense. a 12400f would be a better buy, along with a decent b660 mobo. Your cooler is terrible, probably worse than the stock cooler. Ram is WAY overpriced (you can get a good 32 gig kit of 3200mt/s CL16 RAM from Teamgroup or Silicon Power for like 85 dollars US) SSD is awful especially for the price, you should get a good M.2 NVMe SSD. power supply is SFX for some reason. GPU is even somewhat underpowered for a build with an “unlimited budget” even though it is a good 1080p GPU. Here’s a list that’s superior to the original in every way. It’s nearly 400 dollars cheaper, too. I did it in the US because I don’t know what country you’re in. Just says Europe. I would be able to put together a list that would better reflect prices in your home country if I knew what country it was.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gGPgpH

1 hour ago, ovab_cool said:

FF14 doesn't need much because it's a pretty old game but I think you'll be fine with a build like that, I also made this build that'd also work

As for the gpu: you're probably best off buying a used 1080ti or 2070s for RTX; an ATX motherboard is pretty unnecessary with more pci-e slots is pretty unnecessary because what will you put in them? A capture card? 10 gig network card? Most of those are not very necessary or can just be done with USB.

Ryzen 7000 might be smart because it IS very efficient but not necessary unless you plan on upgrading in the next 2-4 years I think you won't get that much benefit from it except from being able to carry over DDR5 ram but you'll wanna upgrade that by then anyway because much better stuff should be out then since it's still fairly new.

Also unless size is a concern to you I'd go with a larger case because SFX PSUs are expensive, less reliable, louder and more expensive then their ATX counterparts 

Also those small blower style coolers like on your list are sometimes worse then the free stock cooler, you're better off with an AIO like the Arctic freezer or proper tower cooler like something from Noctua or scythe.

Also check with some more local sites (or even your country's PCPartPicker) to see what's available there, some things are cheaper locally vs the US; in the Netherlands Tweakers.net is great, try finding something for your country.

Damn, super informative, thank you 🙂

Will the gpus u suggested run ff14: endwalker on 144fps on 1080p at max settings? If yes, what gpu can run ff14 at 144fps 1440p max settings?

You never know when used gpus will breakdown, it could be the same year you buy them. Is it worth buying a used gpu? Why?

Well, an atx with multiple pcie just in case I need them.

I don't know if I will be upgrading next month or in 4 years, it all depends on if my needs will change. So I shouldn't be getting ryzen 7000 then, right?

So I should get an atx psu then? Size isn't a concern but why would I need a larger case for if I'm getting a microATX motherboard?

What specs do proper tower coolers have or how do I recognize one?

Really good advice about pcpartpicker, I didn't know it's tailored to different countries.

1 hour ago, NF-A12x25 said:

The build doesn’t make much sense. a 12400f would be a better buy, along with a decent b660 mobo. Your cooler is terrible, probably worse than the stock cooler. Ram is WAY overpriced (you can get a good 32 gig kit of 3200mt/s CL16 RAM from Teamgroup or Silicon Power for like 85 dollars US) SSD is awful especially for the price, you should get a good M.2 NVMe SSD. power supply is SFX for some reason. GPU is even somewhat underpowered for a build with an “unlimited budget” even though it is a good 1080p GPU. Here’s a list that’s superior to the original in every way. It’s nearly 400 dollars cheaper, too. I did it in the US because I don’t know what country you’re in. Just says Europe. I would be able to put together a list that would better reflect prices in your home country if I knew what country it was.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the feedback 🙂

How is 12400fba better buy than amd 5 5600 ryzen?

What is bad about the ssd? I don't need a m.2 nvme ssd because outside of loading screens drives don't impact gaming experience in any way and that's what I care about. Also these ssds are more expensive.

What do you mean underpowered gpu? Underpowered to play modern mmos like final fantasy 14 endwalker at 1080p 144fps max settings. My bad, gonna get an upcoming gtx 4090 for that instead.

Thank you for the list 🙂 No worries, I'll check the prices in my region by myself.

In what way are the following components better than the ones I selected, I must know:

Gigabyte M27Q-P 27.0" 2560x1440 170 Hz Monitor 

(Except higher refresh rate and hz)

Fractal Design Pop Mini Air MicroATX Mid Tower Case

Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

(except that it has bigger storage and has higher writing and reading speeds)

Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

1 hour ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Do I really need a MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB MECH 2X Video Card to be able to play modern mmos like final fantasy 14 endwalker at 1080p 144fps max settings? If not, then what is the point of getting one?

26 minutes ago, Sen.Armstrong said:

Do I really need a MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB MECH 2X Video Card to be able to play modern mmos like final fantasy 14 endwalker at 1080p 144fps max settings? If not, then what is the point of getting one?

Not necessarily, you could go with a 6600 like you had, but it’s about better bang for the buck & longevity- you wouldn’t need to upgrade as soon etc

42 minutes ago, Sen.Armstrong said:

How is 12400fba better buy than amd 5 5600 ryzen

Cheaper and better performance

43 minutes ago, Sen.Armstrong said:

What is bad about the ssd? I don't need a m.2 nvme ssd because outside of loading screens drives don't impact gaming experience in any way and that's what I care about. Also these ssds are more expensive.

The SSD I picked for you is more expensive, but it has a better warranty and will last longer, is better built, is much, much faster (which WILL affect loading times, although only by a little bit) and is twice as large. You’re basically paying twice as much for an SSD that’s twice as big and 5+ times faster

1 minute ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Not necessarily, you could go with a 6600 like you had, but it’s about better bang for the buck & longevity- you wouldn’t need to upgrade as soon etc

When would I need to upgrade rx6600 and rx 6700xt? 

How is 12400fba better buy than amd 5 5600 ryzen?

2 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Cheaper and better performance

The SSD I picked for you is more expensive, but it has a better warranty and will last longer, is better built, is much, much faster (which WILL affect loading times, although only by a little bit) and is twice as large. You’re basically paying twice as much for an SSD that’s twice as big and 5+ times faster

I don't need  1tb storage, but the longevity interests me. About how much more would this ssd last in comparison to the ssd I picked?

1 hour ago, Sen.Armstrong said:

I don't need  1tb storage, but the longevity interests me. About how much more would this ssd last in comparison to the ssd I picked?

The SN770 1tb model has a TBW endurance of 600 terabytes written and will generally last a bit longer than that, that’s just what it’s rated for. 

meanwhile the one you picked is rated for 55TBW, so a little under 11 times less endurance. So theoretically it will fail 11 times as fast.

Also, the SN770 has a 5 year warranty while the Verbatim model has only 3 years.

I'm definitely gonna disagree with some of the advice you're getting here, OP. If you're looking for 1080p / 144hz max settings gaming, your build isn't *too* far off, and some of the things that are being recommended here are just going to cost you more money without giving you much that you'll notice. 

1) I would not recommend going for a used GPU if you've got the budget for a new one. Prices have dropped to the point where this is less of an issue now. Also I understand that the used market is not as good in Europe and other areas as it is in the USA, so our ideas on that may be different.

2) You do not need to liquid cool your CPU, air works just fine. You also don't need to overthink the CPU cooler, unless you're overclocking. Get something that works and fits the aesthetic that you're trying to achieve.

3) They're correct that you don't need a SFX PSU. ATX is it.

4) They're also correct that a NVME is the way to go on the SSD. It affects FAR more than just game loading times, it makes your entire Windows/PC experience far more smooth. Everything runs and loads faster. After you use a system running on one, you will never want to go back.

5) I'd also recommend the RX 6700 XT over the 6600 if you can afford it. Yes, the 6600 will handle today's games in 1080p just fine (although not always at 144hz). But games get bigger and harder to run, and the 6700 XT would give you FAR more longevity. Also, if you decide to go to 1440p - which is quickly becoming the go-to resolution in a lot of gaming - the 6700 XT will handle it. The 6600 will not in most games. A happy medium might be a RX 6600 XT, though - it's a significant upgrade over the 6600 but doesn't cost much more.

6) I'd also recommend a little better airflow than the case you've chosen. Case is large personal preference so ignore it if you like the Define Mini C, but good airflow is always helpful. 

I'm just gonna ignore the "unlimited budget" comment, because if that were really the case then we'd be talking about a completely different build here. But I will assume that since you put that there, there is a little flexibility in what you're willing to spend to get the performance that you want.

Here's a build that I'd recommend given your budget: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/kFVmW4

This is a much more powerful build (and a little cheaper) than the one you put together and will last you much longer than that one.

Here's one that's basically just a slightly tweaked version of what you designed: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/gDLFxs

You could of course go with the more modest build and then upgrade CPU/GPU later if you want to, all the way up to a Ryzen 9 5950X and whatever GPU your PSU can handle. But I think you'd get more mileage out of the recommended build. YMMV.

8 hours ago, Sen.Armstrong said:

12400f, stock cooler to save 20bucks, psu is overpriced, 6650xt instead, 24inch 1080p instead, 27inch 1080p is some big pixels. try the 24G2

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

10 hours ago, Sen.Armstrong said:

Damn, super informative, thank you 🙂

Will the gpus u suggested run ff14: endwalker on 144fps on 1080p at max settings? If yes, what gpu can run ff14 at 144fps 1440p max settings?

You never know when used gpus will breakdown, it could be the same year you buy them. Is it worth buying a used gpu? Why?

Well, an atx with multiple pcie just in case I need them.

I don't know if I will be upgrading next month or in 4 years, it all depends on if my needs will change. So I shouldn't be getting ryzen 7000 then, right?

So I should get an atx psu then? Size isn't a concern but why would I need a larger case for if I'm getting a microATX motherboard?

What specs do proper tower coolers have or how do I recognize one?

Really good advice about pcpartpicker, I didn't know it's tailored to different countries.

According to this https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/362624 post a 1080ti will do ok in most area's of the game, it might go to 60 fps at 1440p but that's stil fine I think.
I've had great experiences with used gpu's myself because they''ll probably be fine for the time they're still getting driver support and probably a bit after that, if you want something new I'd wait to see what AMD will release and get a 6700xt/6750xt (about the same) since the're about 500 euro's here in the Netherlands and 400 used.

You probably won't need them unless you plan on streaming or getting an SSD home NAS that has 10 gig networking like Linus would build, you probably don't need it.

It can't hurt to atleast wait because prices of the old gen will drop (especially used and cpu's basically don't die)

Those smaller PSU's are expensive and not great, you're better off with a regular ATX case or atleast one that fits an ATX psu.

There aren't really any good ways to recognize one since it really depends, best is to look up a review by gamer's nexus of one that's big but not too big for your case and ram.
Generally though: anything by Noctua is great (get the tall ones), BeQuiet's black coolers, the Scythe Mugen and funa line

2 hours ago, fisterkev said:

I'm definitely gonna disagree with some of the advice you're getting here, OP. If you're looking for 1080p / 144hz max settings gaming, your build isn't *too* far off, and some of the things that are being recommended here are just going to cost you more money without giving you much that you'll notice. 

1) I would not recommend going for a used GPU if you've got the budget for a new one. Prices have dropped to the point where this is less of an issue now. Also I understand that the used market is not as good in Europe and other areas as it is in the USA, so our ideas on that may be different.

2) You do not need to liquid cool your CPU, air works just fine. You also don't need to overthink the CPU cooler, unless you're overclocking. Get something that works and fits the aesthetic that you're trying to achieve.

3) They're correct that you don't need a SFX PSU. ATX is it.

4) They're also correct that a NVME is the way to go on the SSD. It affects FAR more than just game loading times, it makes your entire Windows/PC experience far more smooth. Everything runs and loads faster. After you use a system running on one, you will never want to go back.

5) I'd also recommend the RX 6700 XT over the 6600 if you can afford it. Yes, the 6600 will handle today's games in 1080p just fine (although not always at 144hz). But games get bigger and harder to run, and the 6700 XT would give you FAR more longevity. Also, if you decide to go to 1440p - which is quickly becoming the go-to resolution in a lot of gaming - the 6700 XT will handle it. The 6600 will not in most games. A happy medium might be a RX 6600 XT, though - it's a significant upgrade over the 6600 but doesn't cost much more.

6) I'd also recommend a little better airflow than the case you've chosen. Case is large personal preference so ignore it if you like the Define Mini C, but good airflow is always helpful. 

I'm just gonna ignore the "unlimited budget" comment, because if that were really the case then we'd be talking about a completely different build here. But I will assume that since you put that there, there is a little flexibility in what you're willing to spend to get the performance that you want.

Here's a build that I'd recommend given your budget: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/kFVmW4

This is a much more powerful build (and a little cheaper) than the one you put together and will last you much longer than that one.

Here's one that's basically just a slightly tweaked version of what you designed: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/gDLFxs

You could of course go with the more modest build and then upgrade CPU/GPU later if you want to, all the way up to a Ryzen 9 5950X and whatever GPU your PSU can handle. But I think you'd get more mileage out of the recommended build. YMMV.

Okay, I'm getting myself a rx 6700xt and a nvme ssd. 

I wonder in what way is Asus PRIME B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard better than the mobo I selected.

Also, do I really need a 3600mhz ram then I can get a 3200mhz ram for less and spend that extra money on a better cpu or gpu?

My budget is unlimited, but I don't see the point of getting a 3000$ pc for my needs. I need a pc that's just enough for my needs and not more.

Also, what do you mean by better airflow than the case you've chosen?

You mean I need a case with better airflow? How do I find out if a case has sufficient airflow or not?

According to this https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/362624 post a 1080ti will do ok in most area's of the game, it might go to 60 fps at 1440p but that's stil fine I think.
I've had great experiences with used gpu's myself because they''ll probably be fine for the time they're still getting driver support and probably a bit after that, if you want something new I'd wait to see what AMD will release and get a 6700xt/6750xt (about the same) since the're about 500 euro's here in the Netherlands and 400 used.

You probably won't need them unless you plan on streaming or getting an SSD home NAS that has 10 gig networking like Linus would build, you probably don't need it.

It can't hurt to atleast wait because prices of the old gen will drop (especially used and cpu's basically don't die)

Those smaller PSU's are expensive and not great, you're better off with a regular ATX case or atleast one that fits an ATX psu.

There aren't really any good ways to recognize one since it really depends, best is to look up a review by gamer's nexus of one that's big but not too big for your case and ram.
Generally though: anything by Noctua is great (get the tall ones), BeQuiet's black coolers, the Scythe Mugen and funa line

Well what if I will decide to stream in the future?

How long should I wait for cpu and gpu prices to drop?

5 hours ago, Sen.Armstrong said:

Okay, I'm getting myself a rx 6700xt and a nvme ssd. 

I wonder in what way is Asus PRIME B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard better than the mobo I selected.

Also, do I really need a 3600mhz ram then I can get a 3200mhz ram for less and spend that extra money on a better cpu or gpu?

My budget is unlimited, but I don't see the point of getting a 3000$ pc for my needs. I need a pc that's just enough for my needs and not more.

Also, what do you mean by better airflow than the case you've chosen?

You mean I need a case with better airflow? How do I find out if a case has sufficient airflow or not?

On the ASUS Prime B550-PLUS vs MSI B550M PRO-VDH WiFi:

1) The one you selected is a micro-ATX form factor, while the Asus board is a full ATX. My recommended builds have a full ATX case, and the micro-ATX board will look odd in there

2) The Asus board has better VRM/s and cooling, which may matter quite a bit if you ever decide to upgrade the CPU or overclock

3) The Asus board has much better I/O, including faster USB ports and USB-C support. Trust me, you will want at least one USB-C port on your machine somewhere.

4) This one is personal preference, but the Asus board looks better. 🙂

The price difference isn't that big between the boards, and frankly IMHO it's worth it just for the improved I/O and better VRM/cooling.

On the RAM, you could get by fine with 3200mhz RAM. I default to 3600 because Ryzen likes faster RAM, but you probably wouldn't really notice the difference in the game you're playing. That's an area where you could shave a couple of bucks if you want.

As for an airflow case, understand that all of the components in the PC get *hot*. Very hot. And the hotter they get, the worse they will perform. Not only can excessive heat throttle your components, they could ultimately damage them. Cases with good airflow will typically have good venting systems and be designed from the start to move air efficiently. They will often have mesh front panels, mesh on top/bottom, and rear/top exhaust areas. The case that you chose is lacking these, and the Meshify case I included in the build has them. 

On the budget issue... You can certainly spend less and play a single game today , and your computer will continue to play that game fine until it dies. But when you're building a computer it's always wise to consider future applications as well. It's unlikely that you will be doing exactly the same things on your PC in 5 years that you are today. If you build only for today, then your build will become obsolete much faster and be much more limited in what it can do going forward. 

It's your build, you get to choose what to put in there. I'd recommend building for longevity as well, but if you just want the more modest build for a more specific application, that's your choice, too. That's why I included 2 builds in my previous post. You get to choose, not us. 😉

ETA: We already have pricing and performance info for the AM5 CPUs, so there's not really a need to wait for that unless you want actual reviews. If you build on AM5, then your build is going to be significantly more expensive, as the mobos are likely to be pricey and you'll have to buy DDR5 RAM. And the CPUs themselves are more expensive. The AMD GPUs are launching on November 3, but they will likely wait until next year to roll out the budget and midrange cards. For the performance tier you're looking at, I don't think that waiting will benefit you that much.

8 hours ago, Sen.Armstrong said:

Well what if I will decide to stream in the future?

How long should I wait for cpu and gpu prices to drop?

Then you'll use hardware encoding or if you want to use a console (need a capture card) you use a usb one since they're as good nowadays.

Gpu's have dropped quite a bit already so it's not horrible to buy now but if you CAN wait for AMD's gpu announcement it's all the better

And ryzen 7000 should launch on the 27th so I'd see how good they are then or go for a used ryzen 5000 set from some baller upgrading

21 hours ago, Sen.Armstrong said:

FF14 will get a graphics update soon so it's probably a good idea to be ready for it.