iOS 16.1 and Android 13 QPR 1 to feature Matter, the new smart home protocol to replace Zigbee.

Senzelian

Summary

Matter, which was first shown during Google I/O earlier this year, has now quietly appeared on iOS 16.1 Beta and Android 13 QPR 1 Beta. Matter is a new open protocol designed to connect and manage smart home devices. It was designed by CSA (Connectivity Standards Alliance), formerly known as Zigbee Alliance and is now on its way to replace Zigbee.

With not only Google and Apple, but also Amazon, LG, Huawei and Samsung being partnered with CSA, Matter is expected to finally bring different smart home eco systems together. 

On Google I/O it was shown that each Matter enabled device will feature a QR code, which can simply be scanned with a smartphone and added to a smart home.

Quotes

Jetzt gibt es ab Android 13 QPR1 Beta 1 in den Einstellungen bereits die ersten Matter-Integrationen für Nutzer sichtbar, berichtete zuerst Google News.

Translation: Now in Android 13 QPR 1 Beta 1 Matter appeared within the settings for some users, according to Google News.

(News comes from a German website, therefor poorly translated by me 🙂)

2000322208_chrome_aIzPlZRG4F(Benutzerdefiniert).png.75f6799c27b87762a6edd60c54fd7cd9.png

(Sorry, only German screenshots were available. Good time to finally use Google Lens 😛 )

1089069111_chrome_lWPrzeBGgK(Benutzerdefiniert).png.5f00366b18d91737ebe2405a68b4364b.png

image.png.0c78848ecf2f0be03bef5c4cd85da4a9.png

My thoughts

Yay! I'm glad that Apple is on board unlike with RCS. That means there's a good chance that Matter will succeed and end up as a really strong protocol for connected smart homes.

I hope this also means that I can use an Apple Homepod within Google Home in the future, so I can have the worst of both worlds 😄 

Sources
https://www.smartdroid.de/google-integriert-matter-in-android-13/

https://csa-iot.org/all-solutions/matter/

On 9/17/2022 at 9:02 PM, Senzelian said:

I hope this also means that I can use an Apple Homepod within Google Home in the future, so I can have the worst of both worlds 😄 

I would not expect apple supporting Matter to mean all of apples devices support matter I think it is more that you can bring matter devices to an apple Home. Just like you will be able to bring matter devices to a google home but it does not mean all of google devices will support matter. 

What It might mean is that you can controle your home kit (Apple home) devices from a non apple devices (maybe...) but most likly in a very limiter way such as not having access to trigger shortcuts.