When upgrading, do you pick the newest tech or current generation discounts?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

I only buy if I have to, and not the "bleeding edge" stuff.

I managed to wait with my FX-8320 and only upgraded to a 5800x a year ago, because I could still use the FX-8320. 

I'm not planning to upgrade to AM5 now, because it's "bleeding edge" - I'm confident it's gonna be better than when AM4 was launched - back then the first Ryzen processors had a less "optimized" memory controller, so the first generation had problems with some RAM sticks and couldn't get very high frequencies (ex more than 3200 Mhz) .. they solved a lot of things through bios and cpu microcode updates.

AMD has much more experience now and I'm sure they're gonna have less problems with AM5 but it's still expensive motherboards, the DDR5 is still a bit more expensive than DDR4, and I'm sure they're gonna need a few bios updates to solve some issues. 

I would have been comfortable upgrading to a Ryzen 2600x but then B550 chipset motherboards were announced and decided I could wait some more to see Ryzen 3xxx processors and then just didn't feel like I had to upgrade.

I also prefer to buy more expensive stuff because usually it lasts longer, basically I go by the saying "I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff" ...  I either wait until I can afford or take advantage of credit card which has option to split the payment in 6-12 month payments with 0% interest

I could have bought some bronze efficiency psu, but I bought a Seasonic X-650 psu a lot of years ago (I don't even know, it's probably 6-10 years), still works like the first day. Could have bought a B450 chipset motherboard that costs 60-70$ in local currency, went with a good B550 motherboard that's wasn't the cheapest, but had most features I wanted... and so on.

Still use a logitech MX518 at home, because I like it. Needs silicon pads on the bottom though. Could easily buy any 50$ mouse without remorse, but just don't feel like I need to...

Title pretty much.

With the upcoming new tech I'm looking to upgrade and I kinda just want to buy the newest of things.

In the other hand, I see other people managing their budget more efficiently (I think) by taking advantage of current generation discounts.

Why would or wouldn't you pick the newest tech available?

21 minutes ago, Hi P said:

- Budget management / Budget constraint

- New platform might have some issues that i don't know about yet

- Don't really need something as powerful as the newest tech

Or a combination of those 3 points.

A long long time ago I went for the newest shit for a new PC, and ended up having BSOD left, right, forward, and back.

Sooo I learned to atleast wait for further info before getting the "bleeding edge".

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I only buy if I have to, and not the "bleeding edge" stuff.

I managed to wait with my FX-8320 and only upgraded to a 5800x a year ago, because I could still use the FX-8320. 

I'm not planning to upgrade to AM5 now, because it's "bleeding edge" - I'm confident it's gonna be better than when AM4 was launched - back then the first Ryzen processors had a less "optimized" memory controller, so the first generation had problems with some RAM sticks and couldn't get very high frequencies (ex more than 3200 Mhz) .. they solved a lot of things through bios and cpu microcode updates.

AMD has much more experience now and I'm sure they're gonna have less problems with AM5 but it's still expensive motherboards, the DDR5 is still a bit more expensive than DDR4, and I'm sure they're gonna need a few bios updates to solve some issues. 

I would have been comfortable upgrading to a Ryzen 2600x but then B550 chipset motherboards were announced and decided I could wait some more to see Ryzen 3xxx processors and then just didn't feel like I had to upgrade.

I also prefer to buy more expensive stuff because usually it lasts longer, basically I go by the saying "I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff" ...  I either wait until I can afford or take advantage of credit card which has option to split the payment in 6-12 month payments with 0% interest

I could have bought some bronze efficiency psu, but I bought a Seasonic X-650 psu a lot of years ago (I don't even know, it's probably 6-10 years), still works like the first day. Could have bought a B450 chipset motherboard that costs 60-70$ in local currency, went with a good B550 motherboard that's wasn't the cheapest, but had most features I wanted... and so on.

Still use a logitech MX518 at home, because I like it. Needs silicon pads on the bottom though. Could easily buy any 50$ mouse without remorse, but just don't feel like I need to...

I've done both. It really depends on what I've got, how deep the last gen discounts are, what's the performance delta between current and last gen, and how much I'm willing to spend. I did go 2700X when Ryzen 3000 released since it was only something like $130 at Micro Center and I could flip my 1700 for $110 on FB Marketplace at the time, so why not? Didn't go Ryzen 3000 when Ryzen 5000 launched though since a) Ryzen 3000 discounts were very minimal and b) Ryzen 5000 was a massive upgrade over 3000, so it wouldn't have made sense to go 3000 anyway. 

Basically, it depends. 9900Ks and 10700Ks are the same performance, but the 9900K got discounted something like $150-200 less than the 10700K so it made a ton of sense to go for last gen gear, but the 11700K for the most part stayed about the same price as the 12600K (which despite being an i5 compared to an i7 did still performed better in almost everything) so it made little sense to go last gen instead. With the deals we're seeing on AM4 gear right now I would feel comfortable recommending it, a 5600 and a lower end B550 board is an awesome pairing right now considering the price, but there is definitely an argument to be made for going current gen AMD or 13th gen Intel when it's announced instead.

If the new chip is on the same platform it's a no brainer to go with older discounted gen, since you can just easily upgrade if that chip get a discount on the next round update.

For intel, discounted 12th gen is great when 13th gen arrived.

For AMD, if you're looking for long term, get the 7000, since the 5000 need a complete overhaul if you want to upgrade.

On a tight budget get 7600 + the cheapest ddr5 4800 (maybe overclock it to 6000mhz if you're lucky).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

A long long time ago I went for the newest shit for a new PC, and ended up having BSOD left, right, forward, and back.

Sooo I learned to atleast wait for further info before getting the "bleeding edge".

That must have sucked, yea I also tend to wait for reviews, and games... never preorder 🙂

12 hours ago, mariushm said:

I also prefer to buy more expensive stuff because usually it lasts longer, basically I go by the saying "I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff

This is pretty much what I tend to do, so that I don't upgrade for years hehe

12 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I did go 2700X when Ryzen 3000 released since it was only something like $130 at Micro Center and I could flip my 1700 for $110 on FB Marketplace at the time, so why not? Basically, it depends. 9900Ks and 10700Ks are the same performance, but the 9900K got discounted something like $150-200 less than the 10700K so it made a ton of sense to go for last gen gear

You pretty much have the wise mindset that I was talking about

12 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

For AMD, if you're looking for long term, get the 7000, since the 5000 need a complete overhaul if you want to upgrade.

On a tight budget get 7600 + the cheapest ddr5 4800 (maybe overclock it to 6000mhz if you're lucky).

I'm thinking on going the 7000 because I just want to upgrade most things and not have to worry about it later

I kinda  want to buy the 7600X then wait and see if the "3D V-Cache" versions are a lot better, so that I can sell the 7600X and buy an 8 core 3dv

It really depends. For main components sometimes I go with the previous generation other times I go latest gen. For GPUs I go latest gen. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

18 hours ago, mariushm said:

I could have bought some bronze efficiency psu, but I bought a Seasonic X-650 psu

The X650 is a good PSU, I have an X750 in a secondary rig, but bronze-silver-gold-plat etc do not denote quality. Just efficiency. Has nothing to do with how well the PSU will perform, just how much energy it sucks from the wall.

First, I'm always gonna skip the first gen of a new platform - or at the very least, give it some time to work the kinks out, get BIOS updates, etc. I am not interested in being a guinea pig for tech companies, someone else can play that game for me.

Second, I LOVE the discounts that you get towards the end of a current gen. Generally speaking, that hardware is still going to run perfectly fine, driver support / BIOS updates etc will have matured and it'll be very stable, and it'll still do precisely everything that I need it to do. It's also easier to jump a tier with a smaller budgetary impact doing that. 

I'd rather buy a higher tier at the tail end of a generation and then completely skip the next gen (or maybe even two) to upgrade.

my advice is gloves off for things you truly need, double down on them since they bring in the most value. In my case it is my current pc which I spent a lot more on compare to any other consumer purchases of the year but considering it functions as my work computer and central to my work from home setup, it is very much justify to spend as much as budget allows so it makes my life easier.

For other things I am quite cheap. I still use my one plus 6 which is 5 years old phone by now. It is kinda slow nowadays but still useable. I sent it for a battery swap two years ago to squeeze some more life out of it. My next phone is probably going to be some previous gen flagship. I treat these gadgets like used cars, they are depreciating assets. You still want some good quality so you won’t have to replace them often due to defects and poor functionality but don’t spend beyond your means. These things won’t improve your life as much as you think they do

Sudo make me a sandwich 

For me, it depends on what my intentions are. Historically, I've been one to try to buy a boxed PC, then "recan" it into something better as time goes (as in, usually, a couple years later) though this last run has proven that I may do better with a fresh build due to all the jank I've had to throw together. I'm thinking my next build, I may go through and get all the baddest and best stuff I can afford, though given I use Linux, Team Green is pretty much out when it comes to my GPU. Otherwise, my Ryzen 5: 1400 may stay paired with my Radeon 6700 series in my current Lenovo Ideacentre recan. I will likely run it until it no longer runs what I'm wanting to run.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:19 PM, fisterkev said:

I LOVE the discounts that you get towards the end of a current gen. Generally speaking, that hardware is still going to run perfectly fine, driver support / BIOS updates etc will have matured and it'll be very stable, and it'll still do precisely everything that I need it to do. It's also easier to jump a tier with a smaller budgetary impact doing that.

Oh man you just got me thinking over here... because plenty of people have suggested me to upgrade my Ryzen 2600 but stay on AM4, instead of upgrading to AM5, I'm thinking it more than ever but first I want to see benchmarks of 5000 vs 7000 series

I've never spend full price on top of the line stuff. So either I buy it when it's a lot cheaper, or buy cheaper models.

I do notice that while I'm able to save more and more money, that I'm more willing to pay higher amounts. Like my laptop wasn't the very top, but at 2100 euro, it sure wasn't cheap. My previous laptop was like 1100, which was very expensive for me at the time.

On 9/15/2022 at 1:36 AM, Hi P said:

Title pretty much.

With the upcoming new tech I'm looking to upgrade and I kinda just want to buy the newest of things.

In the other hand, I see other people managing their budget more efficiently (I think) by taking advantage of current generation discounts.

You do realize that EVERY decision I, and everyone here, makes is based on various factors and critical thinking?

You cannot and should not simply them into your question.

Did you pic your significant other based on their personality or looks?  See, ain't that simple.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 hour ago, Dedayog said:

You cannot and should not simply them into your question.

Hehe, it's just a question 😅

It's never a question of "only" newest or older for less cost.  Many, many factors go into this.  What is the evolutionary status of the parts in question--eg. DDR4 migrating to DDR5?  What is the generational difference in CPUs--eg. socket type, die shrink, etc?  This has even applied to system bus, GPU interface type, and even things like DP/HDMI generation supported.

Right now, for example, 12th gen intel CPU's are out--and the socket isn't projected to change until at least 14th gen.  DDR5 is just coming out--so it will be standard for many years to come.  DP 2.0 isn't yet supported by any GPU's--but will likely be of benefit in the future.  All things to consider.