Games are turning off PC on launch

ripper101

Hello, I have been dealing with an issue recently on my PC where when I run intensive games my entire system just shuts off instantly and reboots. At first it was pretty inconsistent but now it's crashing right when getting in game. The worst offender is Star Citizen and I am able to play low intensive games without any issue. I can play League of Legends or Minecraft without any issues. I have most software things ruled out such as latest BOIS (even trying latest beta BIOS), drivers, and updates. It's a relatively fresh install of Windows 11 pro and I haven't installed anything new recently. I have also tried out of my 4 sticks of RAM, 2 sticks, 1 stick, and the issue still persists. I thought it was my RAM so I bought a new kit and the issue still persisted. 

So my next thought is the power supply but I am unsure. I have been running this setup fine for a year without any issues so I think 750w is enough. This started about a week ago and the issue is progressing. I was able to play Star Citizen for a few hours now it crashes right when It's done loading and I get in game

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($419.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: EK EK-AIO 280 D-RGB 116 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($141.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock X570S PG Riptide ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($184.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Dark Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory  ($116.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Dark Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory  ($116.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($240.64 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ Abt) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR 10 GB TUF GAMING OC V2 Video Card  ($849.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini ATX Mid Tower Case  ($111.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair SF750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Retail - USB 64-bit  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: LG 27GN950-B 27.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor  ($659.15 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3452.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-12 14:27 EDT-0400

tbh id go with a 850W minimum with the rtx 3080. You said that the entire system shuts off with the intensive games right? well RTX 3000 is known for its 600W ALONE transient spikes of power that will trip a PSU's overcurrent protection/

8 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Yes but what doesn't make sense to me is I used this system without fault for a year and have made no hardware changes. Has something in the PSU degraded? 

3 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Yes but what doesn't make sense to me is I used this system without fault for a year and have made no hardware changes. Has something in the PSU degraded? 

Well a PSU running at 50-70% capacity will last longer than a psu thats at 80-90% capacity....also the PSU tripping itself and shutting down, along with the gpu spikes can sevearly limit its lifespan

5 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

10 minutes ago, FromUndaChz said:

So just another 100w will do the trick?

5 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

So just another 100w will do the trick?

I would just grab a 1000W seeing as GPUs aren't going to use less power anytime soon by the looks of things.

@GuiltySpark_ I saw you mention the powersupply I am running? Should I RMA it? 

I am also running 3 monitors and no overclocks

4 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

@GuiltySpark_ I saw you mention the powersupply I am running? Should I RMA it? 

Maybe. 

One of if not the best SFX PSU's you can buy and can easily handle that setup you're running. Has for me for nearly two years w/ a 5800x/3090, both overclocked. Its a shame people just see the rated power output and immediately jump to "NOT ENOUGH" without doing any research. 

No product is infallible, however, and things can be faulty.

Power limit the card to say 80% in Afterburner and try the same games again?

48 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Maybe. 

One of if not the best SFX PSU's you can buy and can easily handle that setup you're running. Has for me for nearly two years w/ a 5800x/3090, both overclocked. Its a shame people just see the rated power output and immediately jump to "NOT ENOUGH" without doing any research. 

No product is infallible, however, and things can be faulty.

Power limit the card to say 80% in Afterburner and try the same games again?

well I tried the 80% limit and it turned off instantly still. Kinda don't know what to do now.