Portable Monitor questions

Donut417

Looking to get a portable monitor possibly 13 to 15 inches or so. But I have a few questions. The monitor in question will mostly be used with a Nintendo Switch and possibly a Steam Deck if I decide to buy one. Maybe used with my MacBook Pro (2020 Intel). 

1. What would be the best way to power one? With my Nintendo switch Im planning on hooking the monitor in question up to the dock, so how would I power it in that case? I mean how much power do one of these draw? 
  2. I would want to mount this monitor in a way I could lay back in bed and use it, BUT I need a solution where I can easily unmount the monitor if I want to take it with me. Any solutions? Ive seen tablet mounting solutions but none of them seem to work for larger displays. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Probably your best bet is a portable monitor with a battery in it. That way you can just use a single cable for display signal, and either not worry about powering it (plug it in when done) or hook it up to one of the dock's USB ports and even with the weak power output it provides, it should be enough in combination with the battery to give you more than enough play time/recharge the screen when you're not playing.

Some of them have mounting options. The Asus XG17 (kind of expensive) has a regular 1/4" (tripod) mount that makes it compatible with all kinds of tablet and other mounting systems. If you wanted to take that idea a step further, there are tripod heads with quick-release plates so you can just snap the display on to the stand when you want, and pull a single lever to release it when you want to detach.

Hope this helps!

I always recommend the Asus ZenScreen when it comes to portable monitors.

https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/ZenScreen/filter?Series=ZenScreen

As to your questions.

1. Some of the models have built in batteries and charge via usb.

2.This may be up to you, honestly. If you have a bunk bed then simply hang it over your head but if you dont getting inventive is your best as this requires knowing your situation of course. Mine, ther is no way the wife will let me hang something like this from the ceiling over my head, likely she will take it down while I'm at work or cut it down while I'm sleeping. lol.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

1. Some of the models have built in batteries and charge via usb.

I was just going to buy an Anker Charger, I seen several that I think would work, as I dont might the cords as much. 

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

This may be up to you, honestly. If you have a bunk bed then simply hang it over your head but if you dont getting inventive is your best as this requires knowing your situation of course. Mine, ther is no way the wife will let me hang something like this from the ceiling over my head, likely she will take it down while I'm at work or cut it down while I'm sleeping. lol.

I live with my folks. So putting holes in walls are not really an option. I have an Alex draw that I use for a night stand, I have a metal bed frame with a headboard I could attach something to. I also have a board siting on two milk crates that sites on the side of my bed closest to the wall (The issue here is that my window is on that wall and I use a window fan to cool myself, so I dont want to block that). 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.