Worth paying spending another 400$ on my build for DDR5?

Rorgash
Go to solution Solved by Pixelfie,

Not worth it imo. Just save the money, or use it to upgrade to i7.

So im looking to do a mobo and cpu upgrade, and i find myself looking at if its worth going to DDR5, since that means getting new ram for 250$ or more and a increased cost for the mobo by 150$.

my currently build already has 32gb corsair Platinums DDR4 which i could just reuse to save money.

My use case is gaming, and will be running a 12th gen i5 and a RTX 3080

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Is it worth it? Right now no. its still Over priced and its still lacking the performance it needs to be fully worth it. In a few years when DDR5 is around 8000-9000 MT/s and tighter timings then Maybe. But until then, its gonna come down to what programs you use and the benefits. Most games have slight performance bumps, but its not generally worth the massive price increase.

5 minutes ago, Rorgash said:

12th gen i5 and a RTX 3080

DDR5 is only worth it if you're already on the best CPU and GPU for the use case. The performance increase from going for a better CPU or GPU is bigger than going for DDR5.

You can always do it later.  Right now there isn’t much advantage for ddr5 except in special situations.  It makes sense on laptops and if one is running off an iGP.  There might be one other even rarer one.  It will eventually become de rigour.  My druthers currently is save the $400, and when ddr5 does become actually faster do the whole machine because other stuff will have gotten faster too.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Stick with ddr4, ddr5 prices are still too high, apparently even bare pcb rams are still expensive af

Wait a year or 2 for used bare pcb to start popping up giving a decent discount over normie 6000+ bins while being able to pick good ram ics for overclock