Advice on new loop layout and setup

Hey Everyone,

I'm building a new case and cooling loop for my PC.  I've done a few loops back in my younger days, it has been a long while.  I'm wondering if I could get some extra eyes on my planned setup/layout.  I've done a mockup in Fusion 360 to help figure out routing ahead of time.

Anyone see any issues or things I need to change?

Proposed Parts List:

• Thermaltake P5 Tempered Glass White
  • Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge (AM4)
  • XSPC AX480 White Rad
  • Alphacool Helix 250mm White Res
  • Alphacool Eisdecke DDC Black Pump
  •  Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-A Radeon 6900XT Red Devil
  • Alphacool 13mm Carbon Tubes
  • Alphacool Eiszapfen 13mm Hard Tube compression fittings

• 4 x 120mm AlphaCool Rise Aurora White aRGB fans

With my proposed pump orientation, I will need to 3D print a little 90 degree bracket to hold the pump.

Thoughts?

P5 Loop Build-Close.png

P5 Loop Build-Top.png

P5 Loop Build.png

i think you probably thought it out more than anyone here will reviewing it. definitely looks nice in the render. I always wonder though why do people try and always make it work with one loop.

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

I always wonder though why do people try and always make it work with one loop.

Are you suggesting I do a double loop?  Like 2 pumps, 2 rads, etc?

9 minutes ago, Simwiz said:

I've done a mockup in Fusion 360 to help figure out routing ahead of time.

Now my MS Paint mockups feel inadequate. 

Only thing I can see that might cause some issues is the link from the CPU block to the GPU. Unless you measured it out and know it lines up, I would assume that they don't line up like they do in the render. It's probably a good idea to invest in a couple double rotary fittings to give you a bit of wiggle room for when it eventually doesn't line up perfectly vertical and so you don't need to have the tube be 5 degrees off from vertical (performance wise it doesn't matter, but if you're putting this much effort into it it's probably something you want to have figured out). 

20 minutes ago, Simwiz said:

Hey Everyone,

I'm building a new case and cooling loop for my PC.  I've done a few loops back in my younger days, it has been a long while.  I'm wondering if I could get some extra eyes on my planned setup/layout.  I've done a mockup in Fusion 360 to help figure out routing ahead of time.

Anyone see any issues or things I need to change?

im not good at all with water cooling but how did you get that 3d model i would love to do that to mine to

25 minutes ago, Simwiz said:

Are you suggesting I do a double loop?  Like 2 pumps, 2 rads, etc?

well more or less , or at least a rad between the cpu and gpu so one it's just getting fed hot water from the other

Like someone else mentioned, I'm really curious about how much you had to design yourself and how many models were just readily available. I think alphacool and HWlabs had 3d models of their products and rads. Is the rest just community-driven?

Only thing I'll mention is that wouldn't a combo res/pump solve save you a bit in fittings and not need the bracket?

If you're re-using or already have those parts though then nvm.

Also at the top where GPU connects to rad why not use a large extension instead of two fittings, tubing, then a 90?

Edited to add:

There's also the problem that the radiator you plan to use doesn't seem to have ports on top, only on the front.

Edited by Bianks84
Additions

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Now my MS Paint mockups feel inadequate. 

Only thing I can see that might cause some issues is the link from the CPU block to the GPU. Unless you measured it out and know it lines up, I would assume that they don't line up like they do in the render. It's probably a good idea to invest in a couple double rotary fittings to give you a bit of wiggle room for when it eventually doesn't line up perfectly vertical and so you don't need to have the tube be 5 degrees off from vertical (performance wise it doesn't matter, but if you're putting this much effort into it it's probably something you want to have figured out). 

Hahaha.  The render only exists because someone did the work of modeling a P5 in CAD and Alphacool releases CAD models for almost all their parts.

Got a link to the type of fitting you reference?  I'm having trouble imagining it.

58 minutes ago, alexfer84 said:

im not good at all with water cooling but how did you get that 3d model i would love to do that to mine to

I found it on grabcad.  Here is the link for the case: https://grabcad.com/library/thermaltake-core-p5-2

Most the the parts and fittings are alphacool: https://www.alphacool.com/3d-downloadcenter

The mobo and PSU and GPU are all just generic downloaded off grabcad.

44 minutes ago, emosun said:

well more or less , or at least a rad between the cpu and gpu so one it's just getting fed hot water from the other

Unfortunately I think the P5 is really only setup for a single rad?  

9 minutes ago, Simwiz said:

Hahaha.  The render only exists because someone did the work of modeling a P5 in CAD and Alphacool releases CAD models for almost all their parts.

Got a link to the type of fitting you reference?  I'm having trouble imagining it.

The extension fitting? Would be something like this:

https://www.alphacool.com/shop/fittings/fitting-accessories/27782/alphacool-eiszapfen-extension-20mm-g1/4-outer-thread-to-g1/4-inner-thread-white?c=20647

whoops totally thought you replied to me nevermind aha

Edited by Bianks84

2 minutes ago, Simwiz said:

https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/fittings-connectors/bykski-g1-4-male-to-female-90-degree-double-rotary-elbow-fitting-silver-b-rd90-sk-b-rd90-sk-snb.html

Something like this. They are really useful since they can be positioned almost any way you want. 

37 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Like someone else mentioned, I'm really curious about how much you had to design yourself and how many models were just readily available. I think alphacool and HWlabs had 3d models of their products and rads. Is the rest just community-driven?

Only thing I'll mention is that wouldn't a combo res/pump solve save you a bit in fittings and not need the bracket?

Also at the top where GPU connects to rad why not use a large extension instead of two fittings, tubing, then a 90?

Edited to add:

There's also the problem that the radiator you plan to use doesn't seem to have ports on top, only on the front.

The case is from here: https://grabcad.com/library/thermaltake-core-p5-2

the Alphacool stuff is from their website: https://www.alphacool.com/3d-downloadcenter

I added the glass and mounting blocks for the "tempered Glass Edition" and I also 'painted things' and colored them as they would be on the final version.  

I'm happy to share my full Fusion 360 file if anyone wants to play with it.

39 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Yeah.  But I like the helix design, and I don't think Alphacool makes a pump res combo with the helix??

40 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Yes, that would be smart.  Good point.

1 minute ago, Simwiz said:

Yeah.  But I like the helix design, and I don't think Alphacool makes a pump res combo with the helix??

Not sure, but that's a fair enough point.

41 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Yeah, I just realized that too.  I have a few white models to choose from, pretty sure one does have ports on top.  This one should work: https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/radiators/hardware-labs-black-ice-sr2-multiport-satin-white-radiator-480mm-sr2480-f2pw.html

2 minutes ago, Simwiz said:

Yeah, I just realized that too.  I have a few white models to choose from, pretty sure one does have ports on top.  This one should work: https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/radiators/hardware-labs-black-ice-sr2-multiport-satin-white-radiator-480mm-sr2480-f2pw.html

Yes Hardware Labs has multi-port rads and do does alphacool. Have you considered a thicker radiator since you're going with just one? It IS still a 480 though so it should be fine.

Is it safe to assume you're going for a 6900XT? What CPU?

Edited by Bianks84

Just now, Bianks84 said:

Yes Hardware Labs has multi-port rads and do does alphacool. Have you considered a thicker radiator since you're going with just one? It IS still a 480 though so it should be fine.

I loaded a 30mm, 45mm, and 60mm rad into the design and I like the look of the ~40mm + fans the best.  60+mm looked weird.

Another question.  I realized I have my fans setup in a 'push air from inside the case out through the rads" design.  Can you speak to if this is a good idea?  The main reason for this is you can see the fans/RGB nicely.

I loaded a 30mm, 45mm, and 60mm rad into the design and I like the look of the ~40mm + fans the best.  60+mm looked weird.

Another question.  I realized I have my fans setup in a 'push air from inside the case out through the rads" design.  Can you speak to if this is a good idea?  The main reason for this is you can see the fans/RGB nicely.

That's fair in reference to the size of radiator. Though I should mention that if you go with a relatively hot CPU you may be asking a lot of a single radiator.

Considering fan orientation there's almost no difference between push or pull. I don't see it being an issue as long as you have at least 10-20mm of space behind where the radiator is exhausting air.

This case is pretty open so the fans shouldn't have a problem grabbing fresh air.

4 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

That's fair in reference to the size of radiator. Though I should mention that if you go with a relatively hot CPU you may be asking a lot of a single radiator.

It's just a 5900x, not big overclocks.  This is more a build for looks and silence.

It's just a 5900x, not big overclocks.  This is more a build for looks and silence.

Should be fine then, though keep in mind hot fluid can be bad for some types of tubing. So do more research on what that type of tubing can handle. IIRC PETG can start to bubble and deform on top of letting its plasticizer dissolve into the fluid. Not 100% sure on this though.

Seems fine as it. But thats what I say about all of my loops too. Then it comes time to drain it. Another reason I prefer cross flow rads, being able to build the loop in a circle makes draining a breeze with less planning overall. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

9 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Seems fine as it. But thats what I say about all of my loops too. Then it comes time to drain it. Another reason I prefer cross flow rads, being able to build the loop in a circle makes draining a breeze with less planning overall. 

Hmm. I was planning on setting up a drain port either out the bottom of the res or the side port of the pump. 

I like cross flow rads too, but they don’t have any white ones. 🙁

1 hour ago, Simwiz said:

Hmm. I was planning on setting up a drain port either out the bottom of the res or the side port of the pump. 

I like cross flow rads too, but they don’t have any white ones. 🙁

Guess it depends on how much trouble you want to go through to drain and how much you want to come out.
Putting it in the pump or res is only gonna get the res and a partial line. The cpu and gpu will trap some and all of the rad will be full. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz