Advice on new loop layout and setup

6 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Guess it depends on how much trouble you want to go through to drain and how much you want to come out.
Putting it in the pump or res is only gonna get the res and a partial line. The cpu and gpu will trap some and all of the rad will be full. 

So if I do a crossflow rad, what would the routing be?  Like this?

Screenshot 2022-08-26 172118.jpg

13 minutes ago, Simwiz said:

So if I do a crossflow rad, what would the routing be?  Like this?

Well you wouldnt need to go cross flow, just comes down to the rad, as some have a port on the end of the tank to allow a drain. Like the thicker aplhacool rads. I think the new fancy ek rads may have it as well. So could just do that and have a drain on the pump and rad and keep the current config.

But a cross flow doing the drains in the similar spots work too. Prolly easier to find a white rad with the extra port compared to a cross flow and painting it.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well you wouldnt need to go cross flow, just comes down to the rad, as some have a port on the end of the tank to allow a drain. Like the thicker aplhacool rads. I think the new fancy ek rads may have it as well. So could just do that and have a drain on the pump and rad and keep the current config.

But a cross flow doing the drains in the similar spots work too. Prolly easier to find a white rad with the extra port compared to a cross flow and painting it.

You're correct!  Those rads to have a bottom outlet port.  Thanks for the heads up!

On 8/25/2022 at 8:03 PM, emosun said:

i think you probably thought it out more than anyone here will reviewing it. definitely looks nice in the render. I always wonder though why do people try and always make it work with one loop.

I think the main reason is that adding another loop often also requires flow balancing or finding places to put redundancy, and a bunch of other nonsense that complicates the build. ...or else we may could go with a couple AIOs, though I'm not sure if GPU AIOs exist. Let me know if anyone knows about those.

8 hours ago, Rusty Proto said:

I think the main reason is that adding another loop often also requires flow balancing or finding places to put redundancy, and a bunch of other nonsense that complicates the build. ...or else we may could go with a couple AIOs, though I'm not sure if GPU AIOs exist. Let me know if anyone knows about those.

Every aio is a gpu aio. Plenty of adapters around. The concern isnt the gpu at that point.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

12 hours ago, Rusty Proto said:

nonsense that complicates the build

thats water cooling in general. if my pc can be air cooled then pretty much any pc can be air cooled. unless it quite literally in a super hot environment that has zero access to normal air

21 hours ago, Simwiz said:

You're correct!  Those rads to have a bottom outlet port.  Thanks for the heads up!

Can confirm that the Alphacool multiport rads have a bottom g-1/4 port. Though I'm not sure the radiator is designed for that kind of flow (from top>bottom). In my current setup it works PERFECTLY as a drain port.

Also love the changes you made to the loop!

On 8/27/2022 at 3:46 PM, emosun said:

thats water cooling in general. if my pc can be air cooled then pretty much any pc can be air cooled. unless it quite literally in a super hot environment that has zero access to normal air

That depends. ...though I do like the idea of getting the chungus and heavy CPU blocks that restrict airflow and put undue stress on that part of the motherboard out and moving my heat dump to where it has direct access to outside air. ...though like anything, each solution comes with its own problems, and I may (probably am) trading my maintenance efforts from one area to another. Still, I would feel much better about a large air cooler if it had a standardized bracket to support the top of it which I haven't seen yet.