Dark Rock 3 vs Hyper 212 EVO

PerryTheBadAss

Hey guys u have a 8320 and i render and game a lot so i want something that keeps my cpu cool and allows me to OC to 4 ghz or maybe even 4.2 while still being cool and silent. my friend told me thats its not worth it to go with the Dark Rock 3. What do you guys think i want it to be QUIET.

The 212 Evo is plenty for +4.2 ghz. It's not worth going with the Dark Rock Pro 3 unless you're shooting for at least 4.7-4.8 ghz.

Quiet is subjective--give us something to refer to. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I preffer the looks of the Dark rock 3.

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

I just know with my Noctua NH-D14 my system is super quiet even under load. I fired up Prime95 with a 4.5Ghz overclock and I didn't need to really adjust my fan curve, so it stays fairly silent. I don't have experience with the Dark Rock 3, but it does look pretty neat (looks better than my shit colored Noctua, lol)

dark rock 3 is quieter and better 

if color dont matter consider noctua coolers they are amazing

The 212 Evo is plenty for +4.2 ghz. It's not worth going with the Dark Rock Pro 3 unless you're shooting for at least 4.7-4.8 ghz.

Quiet is subjective--give us something to refer to. 

It also depends on what case he has and how much clearance he has, he might have to go with a smaller cooler if his case is too small

Well if you want it to be quiet (no pun intended), then get the Dark Rock 3. Plus it cools way better.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Where do you buy them in the US by the way?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Dark Rock Pro 3 is an absolute beast for the price. If you want to do heavy overclocking, get that.

Dark rock 3 DESTROYS the 212 in every way, it is a high end cooler whereas the 212 is a medium range cooler. However if you dont care about looks get the NH-D14 or the  NH-U14s if the D14 isn't compatible, the dark rock pro 3 is also great.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

thanks for all the help and i have the fractal design R4 windowed version so do you guys think it will fit ?

Where do you buy them in the US by the way?

ncix has them in special for $59 until the 30th so get one who have to pay around $10 for shipping but its worth it 

thanks for all the help and i have the fractal design R4 windowed version so do you guys think it will fit ?

Probably but there should be measurements on fractals website or on the box of the case, If not email fractal I'm sure they will help.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Probably but there should be measurements on fractals website or on the box of the case, If not email fractal I'm sure they will help.

thanks but fractal take for ever to reply and the special is about to end :c

thanks but fractal take for ever to reply and the special is about to end :c

Damn, If I was you I'd just bite the bullet and buy it, Its probably will fit. I'm sure someone on the internet will know, try asking some other forums too they might know. 

Damn, If I was you I'd just bite the bullet and buy it, Its probably will fit. I'm sure someone on the internet will know, try asking some other forums too they might know. 

yeah just bought it c:

I plan on making some esthetic upgrades to my rig this summer.  As a first step, I bought the dark rock 3 to replace my hyper 212 (NCIX anniversary sale ftw).  In terms of performance,  I don't think the differences will be significant.  But, the looks, build quality and silent operation of the dark rock 3 is really what sets it apart from the rest.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Yes, it will easily fit.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@PerryTheBadAss    

I love my Hyper 212 EVO, it is not loud at all, I have an open side panel system, so noise is a concern for me.  The Hyper 212 EVO is  the loudest component in my PC, and even it is barely audible at 1250rpm constant.  My i5-4670k is overclocked to 4.7Ghz @ 1.275v and the highest temperature I have ever recorded is 77C during an 8 hour stress test.

I don't have any experience with a Dark Rock or Be Quiet.  All I can say is that for $30, you will be hard pressed to find a better value in terms of price to performance.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Would be nice to know what power supply you have as the first piece of info. If you have a loud power supply then nothing else will help you. But seeing as you already got it, at least you'll have a great cooler.

All I can say is that for $30, you will be hard pressed to find a better value in terms of price to performance.

Not hard pressed at all, it's easy: the Raijintek Themis, which is the same size, lower price and better-performing. Yet to make a strong appearance in the US though / not wide-spread as it is in EU and Asia.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Would be nice to know what power supply you have as the first piece of info. If you have a loud power supply then nothing else will help you. But seeing as you already got it, at least you'll have a great cooler.

Not hard pressed at all, it's easy: the Raijintek Themis, which is the same size, lower price and better-performing. Yet to make a strong appearance in the US though / not wide-spread as it is in EU and Asia.

i have a seasonic 550w gold rated power supply if you need more details tell me