Core i7 3770K overclocked to an insane 7.2GHz using a GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7 motherboard

mgsstar

If you thought your mild overclock was good, or the previous overclocking world record, prepare yourself. Mad222 and John222 from HKEPC have found the golden Core i7 3770K, which has been used to reach a new world record overclock.

30260_01_core_i7_3770k_overclocked_to_an

The two overclockers used their Core i7 3770K with 1.908 volts pulsating through it to reach a maximum clock speed of 7,208.19MHz - or 7.2GHz! This was achieved using a BCLK of 114.42 on a GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7 motherboard. This overclock is even more special, considering the two overclockers kept Hyper-Threading enabled, which means we have the four physical cores and four logical cores all cranking at 7.2GHz.

Source:http://www.tweaktown.com/news/30260/core-i7-3770k-overclocked-to-an-insane-7-2ghz-using-a-gigabyte-z77x-up7-motherboard/index.html

Validation Link:http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2797633

Guess that ivy bridge can be a good overclocking chip if you have sub-zero cooling on your cpu. Its pretty amazing that they kept hyper threading and all cores enabled unlike the 4770k overclock. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

This overclock is even more special, considering the two overclockers kept Hyper-Threading enabled, which means we have the four physical cores and four logical cores all cranking at 7.2GHz.

Man, and I was already considering a UP7 after I delid my 3770k. But still, to have all cores and threads enabled at 7.2 is insane.

That sums it up in a nutshell

yep This is an insane clock that you will be able to "Touch the face of god" (Freddiew) :)

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I've never understood why people bench something on liquid nitrogen/liquid hydrogen just to get high clocks, it's totally pointless. Personally I only care about what you can do in reality. :/

I'm wondering how this is a new world record, wasn't the highest clock reached around 8.4GHz 8.79GHz with a FX-8350?

Or this falls under a different category considered that it's not on a single core?

I'm wondering how this is a new world record, wasn't the highest clock reached around 8.4GHz 8.79GHz with a FX-8350?

Or this falls under a different category considered that it's not on a single core?

It's a world record for 3770k overclocking not for most overclocked ever

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

I don't think hyperthreading is enabled.

CPU-Z says 

4 cores 4 threads

it should say 

4 cores 8 threads 

if HT is actually enabled

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Ht disabled 4 sure , but still very impressive

Interested in Business and Technology

I've never understood why people bench something on liquid nitrogen/liquid hydrogen just to get high clocks, it's totally pointless. Personally I only care about what you can do in reality. :/

Because they can and they enjoy the challenge :D.

Aww and i thought my 4.2 GHz was awesome...  :(

CPU:Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition / Xigmatek gaia, Mobo:Gigabyte 970A-DS3Ram:Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1333mhz, GPU:MSI R7770 GHz Edition, PSU:Corsair CX500 500W, Case:Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition.

Source that says hyperthreading is disabled:http://www.eteknix.com/intel-core-i7-3770k-overclocked-to-7-2ghz-on-gigabyte-z77x-up7-motherboard/

Strange that tweaktown wrote that they enabled hyperthreading. 

wow.. now i feel like a wuss with my 4,3ghz :(
But it's nice to see an ivy pushed over 7ghz :D

I am a bit curious about what kind of temperatures they reached though.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I don't think hyperthreading is enabled.

CPU-Z says 

4 cores 4 threads

it should say 

4 cores 8 threads 

if HT is actually enabled

Probably for stability reason. Still it is a world record for a 3770k. Pretty impressive stuff in the world of overclockers. If we could actually maintain that frequency in the real world, imagine the possibilities!

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

But can it play crysis? :P

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

Probably for stability reason. Still it is a world record for a 3770k. Pretty impressive stuff in the world of overclockers. If we could actually maintain that frequency in the real world, imagine the possibilities!

I'm not trying to say it's not awesome,simply that it says HT enabled,and it isn't enabled.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Considering that 7.2Ghz of Intel Ivy bridge clock is worth about 10 Ghz of AMD Piledriver clock in pure performance-per-clock, I don't see the relevance.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Considering that 7.2Ghz of Intel Ivy bridge clock is worth about 10 Ghz of AMD Piledriver clock in pure performance-per-clock, I don't see the relevance.

I didn't think that overclocking world records were different depending on the cpu but rather that there was only one, this is why I asked why the article talked about it being a new world record. Mine was a simple question which got answered by iTonyy, not some sort of attack to intel.

Also, I would avoid making certain assumption like your, in the end there is no sense to argue over values that more often than not are no more useful than a "size comparison" :D