Korean 1440 screens

Snoweh

Anyone have experience with buying those 2560x1440 screens off ebay? The cheap ones quoted on one of the livestreams. Any pro/con experiences?

If you want them. Go ahead, My cousin got one of them and it will break within 2-3 months. Use them as your own risk. Just buy real monitors so it will last WAAAAY longer than those cheap monitors

Not sure about the post before me... did his cousin's display break after 2-3 months???

Anyway, I bought an Achieva Shimian for my wife a number of months ago and it is great! I love it. I myself use a U2711 and I must say the Achieva Shimian is/was an excellent value in comparison. I paid $289 plus import duties of ~$60. Shipping was fast and I am completely satisfied with it!

[h=1][/h]

I can search for my post about my taught on Korean monitors, but it doesn't allow me to get where it comes from....

So, here is the copy of it:

I would honestly avoid these monitor at all costs. In fact they should be banned. The way I recommend a product is that I assume the overall product experience. I look past the resolutions, and specs.

Your monitor is the MAIN thing you use to interact with your PC. Try using a computer without a monitor...and I don't mean, set it up to do something, and then remove the monitor. I mean you build it, and turn it on, without a monitor. Good luck installing Windows without a monitor. Get something that is respectable

Here is what is wrong with them, which blocks me form recommending any of them:

1- These panels are simply the panel directly connected to a DVI port, or some piss poor circuit board that you get higher quality at the dollar shop electronic. This creates compatibility issues with some graphic cards. And while it might work for yours, nothing says that your monitor will with the next graphic card you get. So if you upgrade your GPU, well I am sorry to say you'll have to cut your budget short, or break your budget as you'll need to buy a new monitor as well. Hence why they have a: graphic compatibility list. Where more than 80% of models are missing from both Nvidia and AMD.

2- The panel used are the ones that didn't pass the panel manufacture standard. They are referred as A- panels (B+ and bellow have dead pixels at the manufacture).

3- These monitor has no OSD (On Screen Display) menu. So you have no control of the monitor

4- Limited settings. These monitor usually only have 5 to 8 brightness levels. No possibility to adjust the colors in any way.

5- No features of any kind

6- The build quality is an insult to humanity

7- The stand is so cheap and light, its the monitor that avoid it from floating out of your room.

8- Wobble madness as you breath

9- 0 support, 0 warranty. Uses "zones" for their dead pixel warranty to find any excuse to not cover you, so that, just in case you are able to reach them, they will refuse you. Oh and the laughable 1 year warranty. HA! Now they know, that their monitor wont survive a year.

10- Propitiatory external power supply, let alone cheapo quality

11- Panel Glossy

12- Monitor bezel is glossy

13- Non adjustable stand

14- Low quality back light

15- No multiple inputs for most models

16- Some models have back light bleeding, something not normal to see from an IPS panel. Glow is fine (technology limitation), back light is not.

Here are 15 reasons why I would not recommend such monitor. And I don't even recommend a monitor if it has 1.. yes, if a monitor has only 1 of the above list, I don't recommend it. The only reason why you guys are impressed with it, is because you come form a budget, low end, TN panel, and jump to an IPS panel, and are amazed.

Friends don't let friends buy crap.

If you go to Taiwan, you can dig these monitor on store shelf.. if you dig hard... why are they hard to find? no one buys them. People prefer to buy monitors that costs way more than here for the same monitor, than buy these shitty monitors. Here is an example: the Dell U2412 is 369$ Canadian, in Taiwan it's 12,999 NTD, that's 440$. People have no problem buying the higher priced product. This applies to everything., even ASUS a Taiwanese company, and LG an Korean company.

Not sure about the post before me... did his cousin's display break after 2-3 months???

Anyway, I bought an Achieva Shimian for my wife a number of months ago and it is great! I love it. I myself use a U2711 and I must say the Achieva Shimian is/was an excellent value in comparison. I paid $289 plus import duties of ~$60. Shipping was fast and I am completely satisfied with it!

[h=1][/h]

Do you recall your seller's ebay id?

I bought a Achieva Shimian for $330.00 with free shipping about a month ago, and I'm very pleased with it, build quality is sub par but If you want a great looking display they are a good choice.

Case- Cooler Master Haf X
CPU- i7 2600k @ 4.4
CPU cooler- Nzxt Kraken x40 in push pull with Noctua NF-A14 fans
MB- Asus Sabethooth z77
Memory- 16gb Corsair Vengance @ 1866mgz
SSD- Vertex 4 256gb
Second Storage- WD Caviar Black 2tb
Power Supply- OCZ ZX 850w
GPU- Asus Strix Geforce 980
Sound Card- Asus Xonar DX
Opt. Drive- Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner
Monitor- Asus ROG Swift
Windows 7

See this earlier thread on subject.
Many Thanks. =)

• 4 weeks later...

500$!!!!!!! for this? If it was 300$ I would be ok.. but 500$!

For 160$ more (http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...=baynoteSearch) you could have a real solid monitor, warranty (with 0 bright pixel, and no zones or distances), no graphic card compatibility issue, A+ (perfect panel), input, on screen menu with loads of options to adjust the monitor settings, fully adjustable stand and non glossy.

I would return the monitor or cancel the order, to be honest

Mine was DOA and cost almost as much as it was worth to send it back returned one's cable didnt work and had to pull apart and re solder a few conections in the back also died within 6 months you get what u pay for with these things, ive heard many stories wear ppl have been happy with them and lasted along time but thats the risk u take for buying cheap crap (they also look like shit)

Im personally never buying another cheap monitor have a a decent asus one now and so glad i payed the xtra looks great and colours everything is just so much better than the cheap ebay knock offs (and all the buttons work woo)

I ordered that exact one when it was around $250. I have run into some weird quarks with it such as when I unplug it from the wall it takes hours to power back on, the speakers are always making white noise, it didn't come with a dual-link DVI cable, and the power brick gets very hot. Over all it was worth the $275 ish that I paid for it.

Okay. Had it running for about ten days now. Not bad at all. Not DOA. No hot powerbrick. No dead pixel bright dot etc. Got it up to 81Hz yesterday!! Hehe. I'll let you know when mine dies or explodes. =)

How would one go about overclocking this monitor? :p

You create a custom resolution on the Nvidia or AMD control panel. Increasing the refresh rate will, if you have the circuit board for it, increase the voltage of the panel. Assuming not safety system put in place of any kind, you can put what ever refresh rate you want, and you'll reach to a point where the pixel will die on you instantly, as the LCD liquid burned, or the transistors for every pixels.

To get 120Hz, you need to have the panel to be able to be fully updated its pixel (white to black, and black to white) in about ~8ms.

IPS panel can't go over 60Hz. Anything over, the LCD liquid is unable to turn fast enough to achieve the true refresh rate set. So you get a blurred image during motion. Some people gets fooled in thinking they are seeing smoother image.. but it's a lie. It's kinda like TV's with their 200Hz refresh rate, and what not. It sets the back light to flicker faster, and creates input lag, as it awaits the second frame, to generate a mid frame by setting each frame at 50% alpha, and some other tricks and image processing to enhance the sharpness on those frame and then display them. And you go 'WOOOOW Look how smooth the video is! Even though the movie or TV show being played is encoded for 60fps (or whatever the encoding is...). It's just that the difference is that TV's has a system and the panel usually runs at 60Hz, still, despite the looks, or 120Hz if it uses a MVA panel, and uses shutter glasses for 3D (like Nvidia glasses). Here in this case, its just a mess.