Non-soldering 3.5mm headphone plugs/jacks

Star-Knight

Hi everyone.

I have a pair of low cost headphones that have stopped working due to a broken jack/plug. Their still in good shape so I wanted to change the plug, the problem is I don't have a soldering iron and the cost of even a semi-decent one would make repairing them cost prohibitive. I know the soldering iron could be used for other things but I simply don't have a need for one right now so it would probably be sitting in a draw for a long time.

Anyway, I went looking for a non-soldering option and I found this video on youtube. The guy uses a 3.5mm plug/jack with screw terminals from radioshack, I took a look on their website and I found they still carry them but were out of stock so no good for me.

Does anyone know were I might be able to find them elsewere? I have spent some time looking but all I've found were large bulky ones like these that look like they might block some of the other ports on my computer.

Thanks for your time

7 minutes ago, Star-Knight said:

Hi everyone.

I have a pair of low cost headphones that have stopped working due to a broken jack/plug. Their still in good shape so I wanted to change the plug, the problem is I don't have a soldering iron and the cost of even a semi-decent one would make repairing them cost prohibitive. I know the soldering iron could be used for other things but I simply don't have a need for one right now so it would probably be sitting in a draw for a long time.

Anyway, I went looking for a non-soldering option and I found this video on youtube. The guy uses a 3.5mm plug/jack with screw terminals from radioshack, I took a look on their website and I found they still carry them but were out of stock so no good for me.

Does anyone know were I might be able to find them elsewere? I have spent some time looking but all I've found were large bulky ones like these that look like they might block some of the other ports on my computer.

Thanks for your time

somthing like this https://www.amazon.ca/Connector-Replacement-Headphone-Earphone-Microphone/dp/B08Z7135HV/ref=sr_1_28?crid=MGP37111F3KX&keywords=1%2F8+connector&qid=1660399914&sprefix=1%2F8+conetor%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-28

and probably some soderlest wire conetor

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

The soldering iron I have I picked up from Home Depot for about $20 and it's nothing fancy but as long as you are using flux core electrical solder and not lead plumbing solder, it works great. It does take a little while to heat up, and there is no temp control, but most things that are little soldering jobs just need it to flow the solder.

You could look for a repair cafe or hacker space in your local environment, where they will probably have soldering irons (among other tools/supplies) for repairs. Repair cafés also often have volunteers which can help you out with the repair (but usually these places are rarely open), while hacker spaces may be more 'hands-off' in their approach.

https://www.repaircafe.org/en/visit/

https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/List_of_Hackerspaces

I don't have experience with solder-less connectors, but I'd imagine you need one with a larger strain relief and a good way of attaching the wire, since the connection is less secure than a soldered one.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

@ thrasher_565, thanks for the suggestion I hadn't though of doing that, I might see if I can find an in-line volume control to act as the connector.

@ BiotechBen, thanks for the info on soldering, unfortunately the cost of the soldering iron you mention costs about as much as the headphones cost new and with a lack of other projects to use it on I don't think it would be a cost effective option.

@ minibois, nice Idea, I didn't think of that, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anywhere near me.