GPU Shares sytem memory, how do i disable this?

The_Jonkler

I searched it up and couldnt find anything but apparently its worse than i thought not only do i only have 8gb system memory left but my gpu is bottlenecked by my sytem ram! how do i disable this? i've looked in my bios and cant find any option for that. i have a gt 1030 btw

9 minutes ago, Lucasnetic said:

I searched it up and couldnt find anything but apparently its worse than i thought not only do i only have 8gb system memory left but my gpu is bottlenecked by my sytem ram! how do i disable this? i've looked in my bios and cant find any option for that. i have a gt 1030 btw

A GPU will only use system RAM if it runs out of VRAM, if you are constantly running out of VRAM then change a games visual settings down or upgrade to a GPU with more VRAM.

If you did manage to prevent the GPU accessing the system RAM (a function of the drivers, which would need 'modding', possibly leading to other issues) then your games/ apps requiring more memory than the card can provide would fail to start or crash frequently.

1030 is a really bad GPU with only 2GB VRAM, if you don't allow it to use system RAM it will just not be able to launch games unless super low settings

Get a better one... or add RAM to your system

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

1030 is a really bad GPU with only 2GB VRAM, if you don't allow it to use system RAM it will just not be able to launch games unless super low settings

Get a better one... or add RAM to your system

i cant get a new gpu and all my ram slots are filled i cant afford it unfortunatly

does it need another 8gb of ram i not so much wanna disable it i just wanna limit the amount of ram it uses

1 minute ago, Lucasnetic said:

image.png.d0b9f02002bac06757e6b54502c01712.png

I am confused by this

When you run out of VRAM on the GPU then the card will use system memory. It's what you want because otherwise the application or game or whatever is using the GPU would crash when it runs out of memory.

The card is not using system memory unless it needs more than 2GB of VRAM and I don't know what youre doing but playing games on LOW settings should be fine for the most part.

Just now, Lucasnetic said:

image.png.d0b9f02002bac06757e6b54502c01712.png

I am confused by this

Means that your GPU has 2GB VRAM and if needed (by game textures say) it will use up to 8GB RAM, in fact less because some will be used

But there's no solution to make games not require VRAM... your system lacks VRAM and RAM

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

i have 16 gb of ram is that not enough?

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

your system lacks VRAM and RAM

3 minutes ago, Lucasnetic said:

i have 16 gb of ram is that not enough?

Ok, thought you had 8GB only, sorry

Then your GPU using some RAM isn't an issue (just close your chrome tabs before launching a game), and is the best you can get with your 1030

lots of good games that run under 2gb. ex: bf4, starcraft 2

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.