Power won’t turn on on motherboard

Hi can someone please take a look at my build and see if I hooked it up wrong? The motherboard will not turn on and these are all new parts, thank you. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You forgot the CPU and a storage drive.

Edit: Won't stop it from turning on, power switch is in the correct place, but your front panel is also hooked up wrong.

image.png.dc2e32e72288ff07858f28b7d35aae2b.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

There's no CPU and no graphics output.

Is this a scenario where you don't have all your parts yet and you're anxious to make sure the ones you do have work, or something?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

You forgot the CPU. 

I want to turn it 

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

There's no CPU and no graphics output.

Is this a scenario where you don't have all your parts yet and you're anxious to make sure the ones you do have work, or something?

No I just wanna see my cool case fans run haha

I just noticed something. You screwed the motherboard to the case without using standoffs?

Don't turn it on. You're going to short circuit something. Use the standoffs that come with the case.

image.png.a0c951d07464dd9f344308d2101470e9.png

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Case fans are going to be either controlled by the motherboard or through a controller connected to the motherboard via USB header, so I'm not sure they're likely to run without a processor installed. Also, while I'm not sure how much of an issue this really is, but aside from the obvious, these standoffs / screws are inverted, the nut / stud part goes between the motherboard and case to isolate the motherboard and keep it from grounding out against the metal case. The screw goes in from the top side for securement. Further, these that are inverted are for the CPU cooler brackets, which are missing. Also, half the other standoff holes have the wrong screws in them, the others have no screws or standoffs from the look of it.

I sincerely hope this is a troll post -- if not, OP may want to get someone else to finish the job or guide through the remainder. No offense. Other than that, you may want to double-check the front panel header wiring (PWR / RESET / HDD), because some boards do differ, but I think your RESET and PWR switch connections may be on opposite sides.

image.thumb.png.f08f17f54fbe951419f07651dc491c22.png

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Even though it's not gonna prevent the power from turning on, the ram sticks should be moved to the other slots.

18 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

just noticed something. You screwed the motherboard to the case without using standoffs?

Don't turn it on. You're going to short circuit something. Use the standoffs that come with the case.

At first I didn't think this was the case but looking at the other pics in the original post, yeah it looks a bit like the standoffs aren't in position 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Even though it's not gonna prevent the power from turning on, the ram sticks should be moved to the other slots.

At first I didn't think this was the case but looking at the other pics in the original post, yeah it looks a bit like the standoffs aren't in position 

Aren't in position, hell, they're upside down! 🤣

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

17 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Case fans are going to be either controlled by the motherboard or through a controller connected to the motherboard via USB header, so I'm not sure they're likely to run without a processor installed. Also, while I'm not sure how much of an issue this really is, but aside from the obvious, these standoffs / screws are inverted, the nut / stud part goes between the motherboard and case to isolate the motherboard and keep it from grounding out against the metal case. The screw goes in from the motherboard size for securement.

I sincerely hope this is a troll post -- if not, OP may want to get someone else to finish the job or guide through the remainder. No offense. Other than that, you may want to double-check the front panel header wiring (PWR / RESET / HDD), because some boards do differ, but I think your RESET and PWR switch connections may be on opposite sides.

image.thumb.png.f08f17f54fbe951419f07651dc491c22.png

Thank you for responding, the case fans are connected to this board on the back. And I am confused with what you mean by the standoffs are incorrect. They were already installed inbetween as shown in these photos here.  I will put more photographs 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 minute ago, TheGrandMaster said:

Thank you for responding, the case fans are connected to this board on the back. And I am confused with what you mean by the standoffs are incorrect. They were already installed inbetween as shown in these photos here.  I will put more photographs 

Case fans and standoffs being ok, it seems the only real issue are the power connectors.

Usually I recommend building the PC outside the case and testing the power pins with a screwdriver, even though your components are all inside the case you should short the pins with a screwdriver anyway to emulate the power button.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

36 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Also, while I'm not sure how much of an issue this really is, but aside from the obvious, these standoffs / screws are inverted, the nut / stud part goes between the motherboard and case to isolate the motherboard and keep it from grounding out against the metal case. The screw goes in from the top side for securement.

Those are for the CPU cooler. The gold colored ones are the ones missing for the motherboard to case. that looked like they were missing.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

12 minutes ago, TheGrandMaster said:

The angle of the pictures might have been messing with perspective. It really did look like the motherboard was laying in the case against the motherboard tray without any standoffs. There are some missing though. Sorry for confusion that caused earlier.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

The angle of the pictures might have been messing with perspective. It really did look like the motherboard was laying in the case against the motherboard tray without any standoffs. There are some missing though. Sorry for confusion that caused earlier.

4350D1B1-73BB-4994-B270-7E35103BB79F.jpeg

2C2D9B3B-4466-4086-872D-FD8BE259625F.jpeg

3B0B466A-58A0-4514-AD20-3308EF96F2A8.jpeg

Also the case fan mini board is also plugged directly into the sata power cable. 

image.jpg

3 minutes ago, TheGrandMaster said:

-picture snip-

Remove the front panel connectors and use a screwdriver to touch the two "PW" pins as @Fasauceomerecommended. Does it turn on?

Why are we trying to start this with no CPU and no graphics card? It's not going to work.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

52 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I just noticed something. You screwed the motherboard to the case without using standoffs?

image.png.a0c951d07464dd9f344308d2101470e9.png

Saw that too after a quick wutafock have my eyes just witnessed moment.

No standoffs, board gets shorted when turning on, means bricked, magic smoke and lots of fun... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Remove the front panel connectors and use a screwdriver to touch the two "PW" pins as @Fasauceomerecommended. Does it turn on?

Why are we trying to start this with no CPU and no graphics card? It's not going to work.

Nope I plugged it up into the wall flicked the switch tried the power button with no function. Then tried to do the screw driver to the two pwr switch rods and it did not turn on. I’m just checking to make sure everything is in working order  and that I plugged everything up properly is all to check the case fans and make sure it gets power before the other stuff is in or they’re just be more parts to troubleshoot. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Saw that too after a quick wutafock have my eyes just witnessed moment.

See, OP showed a picture of the back of the motherboard tray and it's got at least some of the standoffs. There'd have to be a TON of board flex with no graphics card to get it that close. I think perspective is messing with us, but @TheGrandMasterneeds to use a standoff for every screw hole. That case has enough to fully support a mATX board. All 8 of these holes should have a standoff and a screw.

image.png.7a6773f1ea829bfde58815e4b4c37508.png

9 minutes ago, TheGrandMaster said:

I’m just checking to make sure everything is in working order  and that I plugged everything up properly is all to check the case fans and make sure it gets power before the other stuff is in or they’re just be more parts to troubleshoot. Thank you!

Let's take the case and the standoffs out of the equation for now. Remove the motherboard. Put it on the box it came in. Plug the power connectors back in and try. I'd be surprised if it does anything, but there should at least be a few lights on. When the motherboard is in the case, does the bottom side touch the case or is there a gap?

I highly doubt anything will happen until you have your CPU though.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

See, OP showed a picture of the back of the motherboard tray and it's got at least some of the standoffs. There'd have to be a TON of board flex with no graphics card to get it that close. I think perspective is messing with us, but @TheGrandMasterneeds to use a standoff for every screw hole. That case has enough to fully support a mATX board. All 8 of these holes should have a standoff and a screw.

image.png.7a6773f1ea829bfde58815e4b4c37508.png

Let's take the case and the standoffs out of the equation for now. Remove the motherboard. Put it on the box it came in. Plug the power connectors back in and try. I'd be surprised if it does anything, but there should at least be a few lights on. When the motherboard is in the case, does the bottom side touch the case or is there a gap?

I highly doubt anything will happen until you have your CPU though.

I don’t think this board has got lights matter fact I paid like 30 bucks for it on new egg. And I placed screws into the holes after I saw this. Also it is not touching the case there is a big gap from the gold colored spacers the pc case came with. The motherboard isn’t touching any part of the case. That makes sense though that it won’t work until I have the cpu. It probably has got to go through that. But if the motherboard is working then i don’t know why the psu fan doesn’t come on. Must not be enough power drawn to activate the fans considering it’s just the motherboard by itself. I don’t have a paper clip to connect the two ports in the psu to activate the fan, but hopefully it’s not the psu. I wish they put a light on this one so I could rule it out haha.

31 minutes ago, TheGrandMaster said:

Nope I plugged it up into the wall flicked the switch tried the power button with no function. Then tried to do the screw driver to the two pwr switch rods and it did not turn on. I’m just checking to make sure everything is in working order  and that I plugged everything up properly is all to check the case fans and make sure it gets power before the other stuff is in or they’re just be more parts to troubleshoot. Thank you!

OP, your motherboard is not even properly mounted to the case... This pic indicates it is hanging by the wires. Again, I hope this is a troll post. Otherwise, you need to get someone to help you with this, before you make a very expensive mistake. This is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

https://linustechtips.com/uploads/monthly_2022_08/image.jpg.4d107645051e6f3ea99e8acc589ccc49.jpg

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

But if the motherboard is working then i don’t know why the psu fan doesn’t come on.

If the motherboard isn't telling the power supply to turn on, the fans won't be getting power. I'd wait until you at least get your CPU to try any farther.

I don’t have a paper clip to connect the two ports in the psu to activate the fan,

It doesn't have to be a paperclip. My Folding machine used dual power supplies for a while and I was using a short piece of the inner wire from some cat 5 cable to start it, just needs to be metal. Needle nose pliers would get in there as well. That being said, your best bet is to just have some patience, wait, and in the mean time move standoffs so you can use all 8 mounting holes.

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

OP, your motherboard is not even properly mounted to the case... You need to get someone to help you with this, before you make a very expensive mistake.

I really think that picture was taken while the motherboard was being removed. OP had two people asking for that to happen. Good chances a picture was taken in the middle of that when we were all asking so much of them at once. Original pictures had it at least screwed in enough to to stay put.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?