Antec P-101 Silent - is it the smallest you should get for 12900K ?

Haveri

Hey guys,

A store I want to buy a new PC from recommended me this case - Antec P-101 Silent. The case seems a bit big but the store claims that for this CPU you kind of need this size. What bothers me is that I want to some time in the future travel and take the case as checked luggage and I'm afraid it will be too big for that.

Do you think there's a simple alternative for this? I know that Mini cases are very complex to pull off with this CPU, but do you think this Antec is the best option, size wise?

Has anyone maybe had any experience with travelling with such case?

Thanks a lot in advance 

The case size isn't the actual issue. A bigger case can fit bigger coolers and AIOs, which you'd need for that CPU. Technically speaking 125w isn't too massively hot - you can definitely find a smaller heatsink, thus use a smaller case with less cooler clearance. 

2 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

The case size isn't the actual issue. A bigger case can fit bigger coolers and AIOs, which you'd need for that CPU. Technically speaking 125w isn't too massively hot - you can definitely find a smaller heatsink, thus use a smaller case with less cooler clearance. 

Oh I see thanks, how can I know which heatsink am I getting? I do buy a Corsair 150h elite liquid cooler with that, and the MB is Asus z690 Prime, is it possible to tell from those what heatsink I got?

With those components you think it would be possible to get a smaller case?

Thanks a lot!

2 minutes ago, Haveri said:

Oh I see thanks, how can I know which heatsink am I getting? I do buy a Corsair 150h elite liquid cooler with that, and the MB is Asus z690 Prime, is it possible to tell from those what heatsink I got?

Thanks a lot!

Can you go with ITX? you can get a much smaller PC if you go with itx with the same performance.

1 minute ago, Haveri said:

Thanks a lot!

Not an expert on specific models but you'd want something like:

Amazon.com: Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown) : Electronics

This allegedly can handle the 12900 (non-k) and is low profile, shorter than a regular cooler. I'd say just shop around for a case you like with good airflow, then find a good cooler to slap on the CPU and make sure it's got enough clearance. Narrow it down to 5 or so cases that look small and portable enough for you, then find the tallest possible cooler that can fit, usually a good bet there. GPU thermals also need to be accounted for, keep that in mind, so does GPU clearance.

Thanks a lot guys

I decided to go with that water cooling because I received recommendations on it, but I'll be using an onboard GPU so I hope I can find a smaller case that can fit all that

9 hours ago, Haveri said:

Thanks a lot!

The corsair is your heatsink. Technically it's a waterblock/pump and rad, but it is what the others are talking about when they say heatsink. 

If you want a small well cooled pc a cooler master nr200p + 280mm aio would be the smallest Id go.

13 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

Not an expert on specific models but you'd want something like:

Amazon.com: Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown) : Electronics

This allegedly can handle the 12900 (non-k) and is low profile, shorter than a regular cooler. I'd say just shop around for a case you like with good airflow, then find a good cooler to slap on the CPU and make sure it's got enough clearance. Narrow it down to 5 or so cases that look small and portable enough for you, then find the tallest possible cooler that can fit, usually a good bet there. GPU thermals also need to be accounted for, keep that in mind, so does GPU clearance.

I doubt it it can barely handle a 12600k thats isnt boosting like crazy