what is this setting in my router?

Alireza

there is a wifi power control in my modem router combo unit setting

it goes between 20% to 200% and its default at 100%

if i increase it will it damage the wifi system on it?

i need better reception but not at the cost of damaging it

1159.thumb.PNG.25e5e742de9185cfe871abd637c51363.PNG

Is this an ISP provided modem/router? If so I don't think they will really care if its "burned out" once you return it. Crank it to 200% to see if your reception improves.

If you have the budget, see if you can set this to just be a modem (bridge mode or something) and hook up your own wifi access point. You can get some really nice Wifi 6 routers right now. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Is this an ISP provided modem/router? If so I don't think they will really care if its "burned out" once you return it. Crank it to 200% to see if your reception improves.

If you have the budget, see if you can set this to just be a modem (bridge mode or something) and hook up your own wifi access point. You can get some really nice Wifi 6 routers right now. 

it is my modem router combo that ISP made me buy of the shelf but that's not the point

and i don't have the budget for any other router right now and this one is so far good enough

what is this and can it improve coverage?

Take a look at this. I would suggest leaving that alone. 

https://metis.fi/en/2017/10/txpower/

1. Full power doesn’t increase coverage

Mobile devices like phones and tablets have very limited batteries. To minimize power consumption their radios typically max at 15mW (12dBm), while access points max at 100mW (20dBm) on 2.4GHz and 200mW (23dBm) on 5GHz. However, WiFi connection is always bidirectional. It does no good if the client can receive the AP if the AP can’t receive the client. Have you ever been unable to connect – even though you appear to have good signal? This is the reason.

The bidirectional connection is symmetrical. It doesn’t matter if the AP has a better antenna or is located higher up. The antenna gain and any attenuation factors work symmetrically in both directions. So a good antenna and good location will improve the connection in both directions. Unilateral transmit power increase will only work in one direction.

3 hours ago, Alireza said:

if i increase it will it damage the wifi system on it?

It could. DDWRT offers this setting on routers it supports. I heard cranking things up will cause the WiFi chipset to run really hot. Also, cranking up the power could be illegal. Generally the government has standards for how high output can be. And yes, they have the ability to detect when things are ran out of spec. I know the FCC has given out several $30,000 fines to be running wireless gear out of spec. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.