Pc won't post with gpu in top slot

zdemigod
Go to solution Solved by BookofNeat,
1 minute ago, zdemigod said:

Really? I thought the top slot was the only 16x lanes and the bottom is only 4x. I have spent the entire day on this so I will sleep and try your recommendations tomorrow. but IF no massive performance hit will be had by keeping the bottom slot I might as well just keep it there. 

Absolutely! Get some rest and try and see how it works. There should be absolutely no drawback in performance from using that PCIe slot if ASUS' specifications are correct. Worst comes to pass, you'll just have a weird-looking interior to the desktop. Nothing to worry about and definitely not worth just throwing away, just don't let frustration ruin your excitement for gaming.

Sleep well and I hope to hear from you later! (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Spec:

common:

• Evga gold 650w
  • Ryzen 5600x

Current:

• 3080 strix
  • Gigabyte x570 elite wifi

Previous:

• 3070 oc (gigabyte)
  • Asus tuf x570 pro wifi 

Issue: pc won't post with gpu on top slot. This happens on both setups. 

Important info:

• New Mobo/gpu arrived today, bios is updated since it won't boot in the 5600x without the bios update
  • I run extensions on power cables, I tried unplugging the CPU power and turning it on, no boot on either slot. With this i assume that, because the PC is booting at all with the 24pin is fine, and that because it won't boot at all without the cpu power connected then that's fine as well.

This means:

• Bottom slot, cpu power cable = boot
  • Bottom slot, cpu power cable unplugged = no boot
  • Top slot = no boot 
  • 2 different motherboards, 2 different gpus

Things i can't do:

• I can't refund or warranty, im in a third world country
  • I can't igpu since the 5600x doesn't have one

Things i can do if you think its a good idea:

• I have a 850w bronze as well, i vaguely remember testing the old setup and replicating the issue with it so i have not tried today 

I'm so close to just get rid of the entire thing, im probably just cursed to not have a desktop. But anyone has any ideas please, send any info my way.

Hi there! I would recommend trying to boot the computer without any extensions (power and risers) and the GPU on the top slot with all the cables attached, including the EPS (CPU), 24/20+4 pin and VGA cables. Before that, though, inspect the PCIe slot for any dirt, dust or debris that may be causing lack of contact with the video card or any misaligned "teeth" inside the slot. If it still doesn't boot and they only work on the bottom slot, then it most likely is a problem with the motherboard and in the absence of the option to refund or RMA, then you would just have to run it on the bottom slot, which should not be a problem since both slots are wired for PCIe 4.0 16x lanes.

I hope this helps.

Cheers! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

11 hours ago, BookofNeat said:

Hi there! I would recommend trying to boot the computer without any extensions (power and risers) and the GPU on the top slot with all the cables attached, including the EPS (CPU), 24/20+4 pin and VGA cables. Before that, though, inspect the PCIe slot for any dirt, dust or debris that may be causing lack of contact with the video card or any misaligned "teeth" inside the slot. If it still doesn't boot and they only work on the bottom slot, then it most likely is a problem with the motherboard and in the absence of the option to refund or RMA, then you would just have to run it on the bottom slot, which should not be a problem since both slots are wired for PCIe 4.0 16x lanes.

I hope this helps.

Cheers! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Really? I thought the top slot was the only 16x lanes and the bottom is only 4x. I have spent the entire day on this so I will sleep and try your recommendations tomorrow. but IF no massive performance hit will be had by keeping the bottom slot I might as well just keep it there. 

1 minute ago, zdemigod said:

Absolutely! Get some rest and try and see how it works. There should be absolutely no drawback in performance from using that PCIe slot if ASUS' specifications are correct. Worst comes to pass, you'll just have a weird-looking interior to the desktop. Nothing to worry about and definitely not worth just throwing away, just don't let frustration ruin your excitement for gaming.

3 minutes ago, BookofNeat said:

How about the gigabyte? is it the same there? I switched from the asus mobo to the gigabyte one today, I can always rebuild it again tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, zdemigod said:

How about the gigabyte? is it the same there? I switched from the asus mobo to the gigabyte one today, I can always rebuild it again tomorrow. 

GIGABYTE's spec sheet is ambiguous and hard-to-read but based on the specifications shown on Newegg and Amazon it also has the same configuration. If memory serves me right, all X570 motherboards have 24 PCIe lanes that are distributed according to the attached devices, which means all PCIe and M.2 slots are wired to full-size configurations to support the array of attached hardware. Check tomorrow with both boards and do some benchmarks if you can on both motherboards to compare the results and confirm any performance drop-off from the different PCIe slots.

Hope this helps!

4 minutes ago, BookofNeat said:

GIGABYTE's spec sheet is ambiguous and hard-to-read but based on the specifications shown on Newegg and Amazon it also has the same configuration. If memory serves me right, all X570 motherboards have 24 PCIe lanes that are distributed according to the attached devices, which means all PCIe and M.2 slots are wired to full-size configurations to support the array of attached hardware. Check tomorrow with both boards and do some benchmarks if you can on both motherboards to compare the results and confirm any performance drop-off from the different PCIe slots.

Hope this helps!

Will do, I will probably delay to the weekend because im exhausted but I will spend my time on the weekend troubleshooting and making an updated post then. Thank you very much for the help.