Ryzen 5 3600 build planning and advice seeking.

Budget (including currency): 
$400-$600 (this is firm)

US

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 
Games ). No Man's Sky, Ark: Survival Evolved, Minecraft, BeamNG.Drive in mixed medium settings
Programs ). GIMP, Mixcraft 9 RS
Primary workload ). music/sfx creation, streaming, game development

Other details 

Don't need new peripherals or monitors fortunately.
The Hardware I have already
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 cpu,
an iBuyPower case and 600watt psu I'm reusing,
a Gigabyte GTX1050 (may update that, but at a later date)
A Cooler Master tower cooler (I've had it for some time packed away, so I don't recall the exact model.)
Current system I'm trying to upgrade from
A lightly upgraded HP Z240 workstation, due to some design choices, I can't really upgrade it further and I want to leave this system fully intact to use as a media/game server and a back up pc.

I'm largely looking for advice on some good solid parts I can get new over the next several months, not looking for bleeding edge stuff, but some nice features would be...well, nice.
I am basing this build around the cpu and case.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

I would suggest a higher tier GPU - my nephew plays Ark with his father and myself.  He has a GTX 1050ti with an i3-10100/8gb ddr4 pc3200 and has to turn everything to low at 1680x1050 to get 30-40fps with a good SATA SSD.

Oh for sure, it's just low on my priorities, that and a part of me wants to see what happens once Arc starts hitting shelves.
But Ark is such a hog, I wouldn't play it if I didn't otherwise enjoy it enough to put up with the "performance" I already get in it lol.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

Arc is garbage especially in Ark since the DX12 implementation there is a joke, Linus showed this on their video... partly.

I'd aim for a 6600 or so, then use the rest of the budget towards some other possible bits like peripherals maybe? iBuyripoff peripherals are not going to be exactly great after all...

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What parts do you already have and what is missing?

Gpu upgrade is reccomended, maybe a 3070 or 6800

Got the case, cpu, psu, cooler, and a hdd for mass storage
Shy on ram, os drive, mobo, and probably need some case fans
As for gpu, this 1050 is long overdue for retirement, but I plan on running it till at least the end of the year.
I was eyeing either 5600 or a 5700, maybe a 2060 or 3060.

2 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Arc is garbage especially in Ark since the DX12 implementation there is a joke, Linus showed this on their video... partly.

I'd aim for a 6600 or so, then use the rest of the budget towards some other possible bits like peripherals maybe? iBuyripoff peripherals are not going to be exactly great after all...

Fortunately I just have the ibp case, I got a great kb and a decent mouse I've been running for a bit, I stick to 1080 for output generally, more of just a personal choice since higher output monitors cost a penny for me, and the budget to get this going is quite tight right now.

Could you take a pic of the ibuypower case? Likely its one of those trash cases w no airflow so fans wont be of amy use here, just take off the sidepanel and be done with it, you can make a cheap mesh sidepanel out of mosquito mesh and cheapo neodymium magnets for aesthetics or kick protection and i have done it myself but i have an office case where the industrial look this gives makes it fit in well with the case style, imo looks like one of those industrial cases from the 2000s or early 2010s

IMG_20210915_234900.thumb.jpg.d30a8e82b3f8ed2c3f3f97d36656fca2.jpg

You may be interested in painting the magnets if the industrial look doesnt fit your case, black would prob work best

7 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Got the case, cpu, psu, cooler, and a hdd for mass storage
Shy on ram, os drive, mobo, and probably need some case fans
As for gpu, this 1050 is long overdue for retirement, but I plan on running it till at least the end of the year.
I was eyeing either 5600 or a 5700, maybe a 2060 or 3060.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qh4gFg

On 7/21/2022 at 9:57 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Could you take a pic of the ibuypower case? Likely its one of those trash cases w no airflow so fans wont be of amy use here, just take off the sidepanel and be done with it, you can make a cheap mesh sidepanel out of mosquito mesh and cheapo neodymium magnets for aesthetics or kick protection and i have done it myself but i have an office case where the industrial look this gives makes it fit in well with the case style, imo looks like one of those industrial cases from the 2000s or early 2010s

(picture)

You may be interested in painting the magnets if the industrial look doesnt fit your case, black would prob work best

That won't work for me, I have a dog that loves shoving his nose in places he shouldn't.
The case doesn't have great airflow up front but the top is almost nothing but grill and I could get away with tossing an intake or two there instead.

20220722_233602.jpg

As a side note kinda thing.
I have an Asus prime x570-p that half works.
The pcie 16x doesn't work, but the rest of it seems fine, is there any kind of fix for that?
Would save me needing a new board.

You might be able to use the second slot, the 6600 is a x8 card anyway, even if it's just x4... it will function fine for the most part.

That could be worth a shot, even if it's just a temporary thing, I did look up the board online and it's not too outside the budget either so I could get everything else in a few months, make sure all the new stuff works on it and see what I think before I commit to it.
The slot seems like a 4x.

Yeah, scratch that.
Mobo seems to be donzo for good at this point, no video from three different cards in either slot.
Oh well, I was expecting to replace it anyways.

I just bought an ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 to pair with a used eBay 3600 for an interim build while my ASUS board is being RMA'd.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

This seems pretty solid, I built a pc for a friend on this board not that long ago and he's had no issues thus far.
The most want more than need thing in here is the ram, part of me doesn't feel right not populating all four slots.
I have mass storage that will migrate from my current pc to this build so the ssd is just there for Windows and a few other things.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X2DgFg

So as an update I suppose, I did snag a Gigabyte b450 Aorus M micro atx board with a 20% discount off Amazon over the MSI board I was originally considering since this one has all the stuff I'm looking for, should be here on the weekend.

Will probably do a build log in the appropriate sub forum here going forward.