On the Attack Helicopter Reference In the Credits.

Uttamattamakin

For some reason Twitter decided I needed to see this 10 hours latter.  Anyway as a transgender woman, of color, the very type of person the old "Well I Identify as an attack helicopter" thing was made to denigrate here is what I think.  Context. 

UNLESS someone has taken the step of legally changing their name to Apache Attack Helicopter.  At least on their ID, if not via common law legal process in court or whatever applies in Canada this is highly inappropriate.  ID as an attack helicopter if you like but don't trivialize the work it takes to really change ones name, and identity.  Even Muhammad Ali still had to deal with Howard Cosell calling him Cassius Clay from time to time.    Even Malcolm X still have people who call him Malcolm Little.  Calvin Broadus had to do a lot of work to be known as Snoop Dogg.    They earned that.  Transgender women go through A LOT OF THERAPY (if they don't cut corners as some do and regret it).  We all live in a new ID with no papers for at least a year before any hormones,  Then we get on hormones.  Then after that we can get our ID changed, get a job, THEN we can maybe if we have the money and the papers in line for a reputable surgeon have surgery.  Most of us do not do this because it is so onerous.  Even though we now know and can prove the innate biochemical cause as sure as chromosomes (As this compiled research shows with many references).  (studies have found, actual studies like this, 2% regret it by the way.  Yes  it is awful to make such an error.  So is dental work when it goes bad.)

Find one or two friends of the company who are ... able to take a look at these things before you do them to save the trouble of having to reel it back in.  Make sure they aren't just yes people either.  You don't have to take their advice @LinusTech but it might be a good idea to have it. 🙂   I know personally  (well FB friends for years) 1, and know of another Transgender Youtuber in Vancouver.  I know there is a community there and statistically speaking ... it'd be kinda surprising if someone on staff wasn't LGBT.  Such a consultant can be found. 

As always...US tanks will be there to impose democracy and republican government on Canada.  As our people are so similar in culture and language anyway.  😉 

What about the males that identify as apaches? Driving 320d's, with one hand out of the window, never giving turn signal and pose next to their $50 rim sets? Heh.

Yeah, it was incredibly cringe. I think LTT needs to apologize for the insensitivity at the least and remove the reference; I WOULD imagine they didn’t know what they were doing if the poor joke was less common but the meme is so pervasive that at least the person who created the credits knew exactly what they were doing.

20 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Yeah, it was incredibly cringe. I think LTT needs to apologize for the insensitivity at the least and remove the reference; I WOULD imagine they didn’t know what they were doing if the poor joke was less common but the meme is so pervasive that at least the person who created the credits knew exactly what they were doing.

Linus already addressed this in a reply. 👍

Just now, BiotechBen said:

ah, didn’t see it. Nice.

29 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

He said he'd look into it. Unless there is another reply I did not see.  I'd not call that addressed yet. Plus there are the hoards and hoards of people who seem to think this is "just a joke" and "no big deal".  Almost none of whom are of the community the joke is about.  

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

What about the males that identify as apaches? Driving 320d's, with one hand out of the window, never giving turn signal and pose next to their $50 rim sets? Heh.

Do they have peer reviewed published research showing the genetic cause of why they ID as such?   Transgender women have that.   Molecular basis of Gender Dysphoria: androgen and estrogen receptor interaction2018 Psychoneuroendocrinology , Vol. 98 p. 161-167   https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-53500-y (Fernández 2018)  

Peer reviewed publications are the dankest possible memes. 

2 minutes ago, Evolution. said:

I doubt it was done with ill intent. 

It is an old enough meme that someone who is say in their early 20's might not get it.  Then so are a lot of things no one jokes about 

2 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

He said he'd look into it. Unless there is another reply I did not see.  I'd not call that addressed yet. Plus there are the hoards and hoards of people who seem to think this is "just a joke" and "no big deal".  Almost none of whom are of the community the joke is about. 

I agree that there are a lot of unsavory characters, it's been 12hrs, at least give him the full 24 to get the situation settled.

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

I agree that there are a lot of unsavory characters, it's been 12hrs, at least give him the full 24 to get the situation settled.

I figured starting a thread here would have a much better ... signal to noise ratio.  You know plus on Twitter it'll just become about what "side" a person is on etc etc. 

4 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I figured starting a thread here would have a much better ... signal to noise ratio.  You know plus on Twitter it'll just become about what "side" a person is on etc etc. 

yup, Twitter. Glad I don’t post on that cesspool. I have an account on which I follow LTT and a couple others but I’m not active lol

Didn't know about that reference before.  Admittedly in bad taste, but still potentially something that no one really was aware of.  [My friend used a racist term regarding my race multiple times until I asked him if he knew it was racist...he honestly didn't know].  It might have just been something they saw as funny (without knowing that it referenced things).

There are plenty of communities and such out there, and it's bound to happen that jokes are made without realizing their origins on occasions.  Similar to how Karl Jobst talked about the use of "JAP", because that's how it was categorized without realizing it has negative stereotypes

With that said, I would like to take a moment to mention that you literally also brought in politics into the end part of you comments and quite frankly you are categorizing a group of people [in a negative connotation]...which to me feels a bit hypocritical talking about all this and then pushing in something that can be viewed as a negative stereotype at the very end.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

I certainly hope this was born out of ignorance, rather than malice.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Yeah that's not great. I don't really buy that the person who put it there didn't know what it stands for, if you know the meme you know what it means.

4 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

[My friend used a racist term regarding my race multiple times until I asked him if he knew it was racist...he honestly didn't know]

They may not have realized it was offensive but clearly your friend knew what it meant, otherwise they wouldn't have used it to refer to your ethnicity - in this case it's not simply a term that refers to a group of people in a way that's considered offensive, it's a reference to a "joke" that only makes sense in a derogatory way. I could only assume ignorance if it literally came out of an AI that generates meme credits and was fed some poorly vetted samples.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yeah that's not great. I don't really buy that the person who put it there didn't know what it stands for, if you know the meme you know what it means.

They may not have realized it was offensive but clearly your friend knew what it meant, otherwise they wouldn't have used it to refer to your ethnicity - in this case it's not simply a term that refers to a group of people in a way that's considered offensive, it's a reference to a "joke" that only makes sense in a derogatory way. I could only assume ignorance if it literally came out of an AI that generates meme credits and was fed some poorly vetted samples.

Agreed. This is not by accident. The meme absolutely makes fun of trans people by supposedly trying to find acceptance for being an apache attack helicopter.

I do believe it's not transphobic by itself, the meme is quite old  (like 8 years), and it was probably just someone making general fun of something popular, but it's been abused by many transphobes, even in arguments, and it got to the point where it's mostly just offensive now.

I never viewed this meme as transphobic but rather another group of people ALSO having the freedom to express themselves in non traditional ways.

As a self admittedly weird person on the spectrum, I have said this in the past, and I think it is pro-trans and inclusive to respect people (yes, editors are people too) when they choose something that others may not agree with.  

The limits of tolerance and inclusivity are very weird.

56 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

I never viewed this meme as transphobic but rather another group of people ALSO having the freedom to express themselves in non traditional ways.

As a self admittedly weird person on the spectrum, I have said this in the past, and I think it is pro-trans and inclusive to respect people (yes, editors are people too) when they choose something that others may not agree with.  

The limits of tolerance and inclusivity are very weird.

Being trans is not just "expressing yourself"  like feeling like wearing a stripped shirt. lol. 

5 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

With that said, I would like to take a moment to mention that you literally also brought in politics into the end part of you comments and quite frankly you are categorizing a group of people [in a negative connotation]...which to me feels a bit hypocritical talking about all this and then pushing in something that can be viewed as a negative stereotype at the very end.

Yes I did.  It is a fact that people who are not part of a group often cannot know what it is like to be part of that group. It is not offensive to point out that members of a historically advantaged group of people often cannot relate to how precarious existence is for those who are not. 

Consider right now in the United States of America people are moving from one state to another to find legal safety within the United States.  

11-year-old Texas trans activist & family flee state because it's "not safe for trans kids" (msn.com)

Trans Man Advised To Use Women's Restroom Then Beaten Up and Arrested (newsweek.com)

Transgender woman caught in Montana birth certificate dispute (msn.com)

All of this while Jordan B Peterson talks about how he thinks transgender adults should be outlawed.   So given that IDC that people who can go just about anywhere in North America, South America, an Europe without their mere existence being questioned might have to be a little bit considerate of others every once in a while.  Making light of the identity of a group of people who others would like to utterly destroy and finally solve the problem of IS POLITICAL.  

There is no way in hell the person who wrote that didn't know what they were doing.

23 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Being trans is not just "expressing yourself"  like feeling like wearing a stripped shirt. lol. 

I did not say that.  I said, " having the freedom to express themselves in non traditional ways".  

It's not a joke to laugh about.  People want the freedom to express themselves and been seen as who they view themselves.  

I think if you believe in universal equality of human rights then transpeople can pick their pronouns, and other people can also pick how they want to be referred to as.  The right to choose how people refer to yourself isn't solely for any specific group, it it a right everyone should have no?

It was most likely done by some who didn't know the meaning behind the meme or, maybe the editor is trans and just wanted to meme.

In any case, I don't see a reason to get so offended by such a little thing.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

3 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

I did not say that.  I said, " having the freedom to express themselves in non traditional ways".  

It's not a joke to laugh about.  People want the freedom to express themselves and been seen as who they view themselves.  

I think if you believe in universal equality of human rights then transpeople can pick their pronouns, and other people can also pick how they want to be referred to as.  The right to choose how people refer to yourself isn't solely for any specific group, it it a right everyone should have no?

What group are you referring to? The attack helicopter thing was never about anyone sincerely identifying as a helicopter. If such a person exists and is specifically responsible for this credits sequence then sure, go for it... but the likelihood is nigh on zero and the fact that Linus didn't know about it tells me that they at least don't go by that at work, which would indicate they don't actually meaningfully identify that way. In that case this can only be taken as a pot shot at trans people, which is not ok in a time of direct persecution by various governments.

Have I been sufficiently pedantic to address your concern?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What group are you referring to? The attack helicopter thing was never about anyone sincerely identifying as a helicopter. If such a person exists and is specifically responsible for this credits sequence then sure, go for it... but the likelihood is nigh on zero and the fact that Linus didn't know about it tells me that they at least don't go by that at work, which would indicate they don't actually meaningfully identify that way. In that case this can only be taken as a pot shot at trans people, which is not ok in a time of direct persecution by various governments.

Have I been sufficiently pendantic to address your concern?

Not sure what group reference in the quoted post you are talking about.

"The attack helicopter thing was never about anyone sincerely identifying as a helicopter."
How can we judge sincerity fairly without application of bias? How do you know this was an attack?

2 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Not sure what group reference in the quoted post you are talking about.

"The attack helicopter thing was never about anyone sincerely identifying as a helicopter."
How can we judge sincerity fairly without application of bias? How do you know this was an attack?

Again, if you say you identify as an attack helicopter but do not actually present as one ever then you're lying.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'll be honest, I always thought this was just a dumb joke by COD kids and never put more thoughts into it (never used it either as far as I remember). It's always just been a dumb meme to me and I'm sure to many others.

Went to read up the "know your meme" entry on this and yeah, the origin of it aren't ok.

Linus unfortunately cannot know everything that goes on and it might be a case of the editor not being off probation yet, thus no name can be given out. Good that he said he will look into it I guess.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

12 hours ago, Motifator said:

Just because he didn't handle it like you want him to does not mean he hasn't handled it.

11 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

It is an old enough meme that someone who is say in their early 20's might not get it.  Then so are a lot of things no one jokes about 

Exactly. He's going to talk to them, tell them about the baggage, and that's it. Nothing more needs to be done. Just because someone makes a mistake, and this one is a minor one, does not mean they should be vilified. You live, you learn.

And if this stupid joke seriously offended you, you may want to reevaluate how seriously you take yourself. If someone makes a joke about me being Autistic, I am not going to be offended, because it's a joke. And if they actually mean to hurt you, just ignore them. Ignoring people is a very important skill to learn, and will be used no matter the gender, sexual orientation, color, etc. of the person.

12 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Anyway as a transgender woman, of color

Why does "of color" need to be mentioned? If you want racism to cease to exist, denoting a difference between yourself and someone who isn't "of color" isn't the way to do it. 

Skip to 0:40, or watch the entire thing if you want.