Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Thermal Paste should I use?

jjcz5

A month ago I asked for thermal paste at a computer store and they gave me the Deep Cool Z5 but I heard that there are better one's like Grizzly's and Arctic's thermal paste etc. I'm not overclocking but I do want my CPU to be as cool as I can make it.

The CPU and Cooler I'm using is the Ryzen 5 5600X and the be quiet! Pure Rock 2

Any suggestions? Thanks

The thermal difference between really good thermal paste and OK thermal paste (the stuff you've got) is 2-3C, within a lot of tests it's margin of error. It's not worth the effort to swap pastes, especially if you're not gonna overclock. 

I agree with Ronithan, unless your going for overclocking records, just use what you have, and ensure you have full IHS coverage. Happy computing!

4 hours ago, jjcz5 said:

A month ago I asked for thermal paste at a computer store and they gave me the Deep Cool Z5 but I heard that there are better one's like Grizzly's and Arctic's thermal paste etc. I'm not overclocking but I do want my CPU to be as cool as I can make it.

Any suggestions? Thanks

It's fine, I think its similar to Arctic MX2. Just make sure you use enough paste. A blob with the diameter of a chickpea should cover the whole cpu when a heatsink or aio is pressed directly over the heatspreader.

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

max4 will do the job

9 hours ago, jjcz5 said:

Any suggestions? Thanks

it's 5600x, not a hot CPU, so they're pretty much the same.
At most you'll get less 2 degree, not worth the extra money unless your standard temp is nearing thermal throttle already.

But if you really want it for some reason, just get Arctic MX-4.
Cheap and toe-to-toe with a NT-H1.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

I'm enjoying Kryonaut for a solid 2 degree temp variance.  Was it worth the price?  Hell yes, seeing as how my lunch was more expensive and it didn't last nearly as long 🙂

But yeah, all the big names are within a margin of error basically.  Get the one that smells best.

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

1 hour ago, Dedayog said:

I'm enjoying Kryonaut for a solid 2 degree temp variance.  Was it worth the price?  Hell yes, seeing as how my lunch was more expensive and it didn't last nearly as long 🙂

But yeah, all the big names are within a margin of error basically.  Get the one that smells best.

...until you notice literally all the alternatives use more or less the same formula, come in the same syringe and spreader. Wouldn't surprise you that they're all made in the same place then...

Kryonaut is the worst offender so far due to charging a lot more for what's basically TF8 / Alseye T9+ or the Kingpin thereof.