Hosting server with WinSCP

I'm kinda sick of using Windows 10 as an FPT server and I wanted to use a client to host the server instead. I opted out of Filezilla since I found a bunch of posts online saying it's got maleware attached to it, so I decided to go with WinSCP. The reason I'm sick of using Windows 10 is because every few days, the computer seems to restart or shut down because either the power goes out or other dumb reasons and the IP will change. This causes me not to be able to access the server from my other PCs and I have to go and reconfigure the entire server. It's annoying and it's happened several times now. I was trying to watch videos on how to create an FTP server for WinSCP, but all of the videos I've watched seem to gloss over the important bits and small details on setting up the server. Can anyone send me to a website or video explaining how to actually set this thing up? It'd be appreciated.

Lol, WinSCP is a client, not a server. You can either use Filezilla FTP server or something else and connect using WinSCP. If you have an FTP server running, then you would have no trouble connecting with WinSCP.

This is also the first time I am hearing someone claim Filezilla is malware.

image.png.97d41e4d06e5623f04164d7cb5c466e4.png

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Lol, WinSCP is a client, not a server. You can either use Filezilla FTP server or something else and connect using WinSCP. If you have an FTP server running, then you would have no trouble connecting with WinSCP.

This is also the first time I am hearing someone claim Filezilla is malware.

Thank you for the straight answer. As for Filezilla, apparently, it was bundled with pups and other things upon installation. There are entire threads on reddit and on this forum talking about it. A quick google search for "filezilla malware" will bring all that up. 
So is Filezilla the only FPT client out there or are there other free ones like it? I'm not too sure I care about the malware thing though. I'm just trying to transfer files between my computers and if need be, take care of some crap it comes with, but just exploring my options and learning here.

Just now, Selestialnorre said:

Thank you for the straight answer. As for Filezilla, apparently, it was bundled with pups and other things upon installation. There are entire threads on reddit and on this forum talking about it. A quick google search for "filezilla malware" will bring all that up. 
So is Filezilla the only FPT client out there or are there other free ones like it? I'm not too sure I care about the malware thing though. I'm just trying to transfer files between my computers and if need be, take care of some crap it comes with, but just exploring my options and learning here.

Filezilla offers both FTP server and FTP client (not just "FPT client"). As I said, you can use WinSCP to connect to an FTP server, as long as there is an FTP server running at the destination.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Filezilla offers both FTP server and FTP client (not just "FPT client"). As I said, you can use WinSCP to connect to an FTP server, as long as there is an FTP server running at the destination.

The problem lies with the IP address that keeps changing everytime we have a flicker. This is an old 1050ti laptop that I still have lying around with no other use than storage. I set my server up though IIS, the power goes out, the IP changes, and I have to delete the whole thing and make it again. I don't want to have to mess with it anymore and was hoping to find a server software that will auto grab the IP address. Will Filezilla do this?

The "malware" claim is from one of two things more than anything:

1) People are downloading from random sites that inject their own installers and crap into the installer and that's being flagged

2) People are confusing the optional offers presented with the official installer as "malware/PUP/adware/etc" which can be declined.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Selestialnorre said:

The problem lies with the IP address that keeps changing everytime we have a flicker. This is an old 1050ti laptop that I still have lying around with no other use than storage. I set my server up though IIS, the power goes out, the IP changes, and I have to delete the whole thing and make it again. I don't want to have to mess with it anymore and was hoping to find a server software that will auto grab the IP address. Will Filezilla do this?

Why not set a static IP address on the laptop then?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The "malware" claim is from one of two things more than anything:

1) People are downloading from random sites that inject their own installers and crap into the installer and that's being flagged

2) People are confusing the optional offers presented with the official installer as "malware/PUP/adware/etc" which can be declined.

People were saying that the installer that you get from the Filezilla website were being flagged by their antivirus programs. I know the internet can take something and twist the shit out of it, but I do think it's worth looking into if there were so many claims. There were recommendations for WinSCP and Cyberduck which I guess both of which don't HOST servers. I've been looking into these things and have come up empty handed as is the reason for my post in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Selestialnorre said:

People were saying that the installer that you get from the Filezilla website were being flagged by their antivirus programs. I know the internet can take something and twist the shit out of it, but I do think it's worth looking into if there were so many claims. There were recommendations for WinSCP and Cyberduck which I guess both of which don't HOST servers. I've been looking into these things and have come up empty handed as is the reason for my post in the first place.

Yah, I did some looking, albeit brief, and most of the complaints were that the AV was flagging those programs bundled, which you can decline to install, as PUPs basically because it can't distinguish between what's bundled and the individual program at the time of launching the installer. There were a couple mentions that this was done to make money or something but nobody seems to ever say (at least from my searches) that these programs were hidden during the install process, just that the AV flagged the installer because of the bundled software which isn't required. If there are threads where the software was installed from the Filezilla installer without the user consent though I'd definitely want to see those so I can know moving forward of potential risks 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, I did some looking, albeit brief, and most of the complaints were that the AV was flagging those programs bundled, which you can decline to install, as PUPs basically because it can't distinguish between what's bundled and the individual program at the time of launching the installer. There were a couple mentions that this was done to make money or something but nobody seems to ever say (at least from my searches) that these programs were hidden during the install process, just that the AV flagged the installer because of the bundled software which isn't required. If there are threads where the software was installed from the Filezilla installer without the user consent though I'd definitely want to see those so I can know moving forward of potential risks 🙂

This is the thread I read through. Doing searches on "filezilla malware" kinda makes it scary to try while some people are saying it might silently instal, others are saying it's just ad shit that you can decline.

1 hour ago, Selestialnorre said:

I'm kinda sick of using Windows 10 as an FPT server and I wanted to use a client to host the server instead. I opted out of Filezilla since I found a bunch of posts online saying it's got maleware attached to it, so I decided to go with WinSCP. The reason I'm sick of using Windows 10 is because every few days, the computer seems to restart or shut down because either the power goes out or other dumb reasons and the IP will change. This causes me not to be able to access the server from my other PCs and I have to go and reconfigure the entire server. It's annoying and it's happened several times now. I was trying to watch videos on how to create an FTP server for WinSCP, but all of the videos I've watched seem to gloss over the important bits and small details on setting up the server. Can anyone send me to a website or video explaining how to actually set this thing up? It'd be appreciated.

I question why you are using ftp. Are your other computers on the same or different network? Why not just make an smb share? 

8 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I question why you are using ftp. Are your other computers on the same or different network? Why not just make an smb share? 

I use FTP because I have large (sometimes 30 minute 5+ GB a piece) videos that I make that I upload to Youtube and don't like to store them on that PC, so instead of flashdriving them over to the storage computer, I use FTP. FPT sounded like a great option.

Edit: I just did a search on SMB. Why would you question my usage of FTP when it's known to be faster than SMB? Also, yes, all computers are on the same network, but I do wish to create a way for myself to work on videos when I'm not home and be able to access the server from my friend's network.

5 hours ago, Selestialnorre said:

I use FTP because I have large (sometimes 30 minute 5+ GB a piece) videos that I make that I upload to Youtube and don't like to store them on that PC, so instead of flashdriving them over to the storage computer, I use FTP. FPT sounded like a great option.

Edit: I just did a search on SMB. Why would you question my usage of FTP when it's known to be faster than SMB? Also, yes, all computers are on the same network, but I do wish to create a way for myself to work on videos when I'm not home and be able to access the server from my friend's network.

If you have a gigabit network, SMB can work at line speed. it's not a bad suggestion to consider Windows File Sharing if youre on the same network. 

It then uses native ACL's (Permissions) and Windows sharing permissions and dosnt require any 3rd party software. 

FTP is a good option if the OS is outdated and cannot use newer SMB protocols, or if youre connecting to a different network, especially over the internet.

If you must stick with FTP, i'd look at doing an OpenSSH install, and using SFTP (via WinSCP or your chosen FTP Client). OpenSSH you wont be subject to bloat, and it allows you to use encrypted certificates rather than passwords. Heres a how-to that shows whats involved: https://winscp.net/eng/docs/guide_windows_openssh_server

I use SFTP to all my *nix servers via WinSCP since OpenSSH is included by default on all the *nix flavors I run. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

7 hours ago, Selestialnorre said:

Its just an odd choice in 2022 to use ftp on an internal network. Most people would set up a persistent shared folder. The speed thing isn't really that noticeable. If it works for you, great, but maybe use sftp if you plan on doing remote transfers. 

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Its just an odd choice in 2022 to use ftp on an internal network. Most people would set up a persistent shared folder. The speed thing isn't really that noticeable. If it works for you, great, but maybe use sftp if you plan on doing remote transfers. 

Well, I'm not only don't this for the same of having it, I'm also kinda late to the party to try to learn how to use all these things. I've always been a software guy, but recently in the past few years, I've been waiting to know how to do all of it. But yes, I'll stick with ftp for now until I naturally discover for myself something better.