Is there a benefit to having an iGPU (12600K vs KF) for productivity, with a dedicated GPU?

I've seen one YT vid that claims the intel 12th gen K chips are significantly better than the KF chips without an iGPU.
Supposedly, this is because the iGPU provides better encoders, even if you are using a dedicated Nvidia graphics card.
Really? it's only a $25 difference, but thats still $25 I could spend on something else.

Depends on what your doing. They can do some stuff no dgpu like decoding 10 bit 422 h.265 , so if thats a format you work with it will be much faster.

But other than that the igpu normally won't help.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on what your doing. They can do some stuff no dgpu like decoding 10 bit 422 h.265 , so if thats a format you work with it will be much faster.

But other than that the igpu normally won't help.

well, I'm not 100% sure, but I DO want to do more video work (Resolve), that's one of the reasons for this build. Video editing, Affinity suite photography/graphic design stuff, and I want to learn Blender. my Sony A7 uses MPEG-4 or AVCHD (28 Mbit/s). 1080p.

So as I understand, the video files will be H.264 out of camera. Is there any reason I would convert to H.265 and the encoders would be useful?

58 minutes ago, Denouermont said:

well, I'm not 100% sure, but I DO want to do more video work (Resolve), that's one of the reasons for this build. Video editing, Affinity suite photography/graphic design stuff, and I want to learn Blender. my Sony A7 uses MPEG-4 or AVCHD (28 Mbit/s). 1080p.

So as I understand, the video files will be H.264 out of camera. Is there any reason I would convert to H.265 and the encoders would be useful?

Your A7 won't be affected by the igpu, only new cameras like the a7siii, a7vi, and a1 can make these formats. The only reason you would deal with h.265 is if its the format from your cameras, you don't want to transcode to it.

Also since your only working with 1080p, there is much less hardware needed for editing, so your system will be plenty here for resolve

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your A7 won't be affected by the igpu, only new cameras like the a7siii, a7vi, and a1 can make these formats. The only reason you would deal with h.265 is if its the format from your cameras, you don't want to transcode to it.

Also since your only working with 1080p, there is much less hardware needed for editing, so your system will be plenty here for resolve

got it. So I guess I could go for the extra $25 for:
1. piece-of-mind/troubleshooting a dedicated GPU
2. better compatibility if/when I get a new camera
Sound right? haha

12 minutes ago, Denouermont said:

got it. So I guess I could go for the extra $25 for:
1. piece-of-mind/troubleshooting a dedicated GPU
2. better compatibility if/when I get a new camera
Sound right? haha

Yup that's right. Your dgpu is better for almost everything else. And not many cameras have that format, and most of them have other options as well.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yup that's right. Your dgpu is better for almost everything else. And not many cameras have that format, and most of them have other options as well.

Thank you for the insight!!! 🙂