Why does HD look like this after defrag?

Bender Blues

Always used just W10 defrag, heard good things about Defraggler - thought I'd give it a go.

1tb/7200

After clearing all OS cache, temps, browser, history etc and reboot.

Ran analyze (%23) then "defrag" - said time remaining 1 day and change. I guess this is a Defraggler thing in length of time.

Ran quick defrag, and completed. I'm not concerned about remaining fragmented files (deal with later)-

Its the scattering fragments and empty spaces.

Why would it be left like this? W10 defrag says 0% fragmented after running Defraggler.

spacer.png

** Here on the West Coast USA **

It's probably ignoring larger files, especially if you're doing a quick defrag. There's less benefit in moving large files since access time on one large file isn't as bad as accessing thousands of small files. It doesn't really matter where something like a 2GB video file is located.

I haven't used it in years but if you check the settings in defraggler it'll likely have an option for what size files to ignore.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

It's probably ignoring larger files, especially if you're doing a quick defrag. There's less benefit in moving large files since access time on one large file isn't as bad as accessing thousands of small files. It doesn't really matter where something like a 2GB video file is located.

I haven't used it in years but if you check the settings in defraggler it'll likely have an option for what size files to ignore.

Great point, that makes really good sense. Windirstat - yeah, theres some beefy ones, I'll check out that max size, as a matter of fact I remember seeing it so it is indeed there.

Thanks Spotty!

edit: theres a great description of quick, size exclusions and exactly what ya pointed out. 👍

https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048728611-Defraggler-options-Quick-Defrag-tab

Take care.

** Here on the West Coast USA **

Some defrag problems also have an option to leave a bit of empty space after files as sort of futureproofing for when they grow later.

And since you're already checking the drive, you can always move stuff onto another drive and back. Moving the big file onto it should put it into the next clean block. Sort of a extra tedious manual defrag that needs two drives.