How is my i7 12700F stock cooler working so well?

boyka19

So I just built a new PC with an i7-12700F. I bought a CM Hyper 212 Black Edition RGB, but I actually forgot to check if it came with an LGA1700 mounting bracket, which it didn't. So I built the PC with the stock cooler until I can return the Hyper212 and get a new cooler.

However, to my surprise, the stock cooler is working wonderfully, how is this possible? I was expecting to barely be able to play games, but it doesn't even go past 60ºC while gaming. Like I'm even considering not buying an aftermarket cooler at this point. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Case is Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh RGB by the way.

Ltt made a video about the new 12th gen stock coolers and they are way better then the previous Models and have a pretty nice look

Yeah, what they said. Some stock coolers are actually quite beast for the cost.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

It was designed to work with the CPU it came with. As long as you aren't overclocking the snot out of it, and you have good airflow through the case, it should keep up just fine.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

@boyka19

The 12700F has a 65W TDP rating. If your motherboard has set the long term PL1 power limit to 65W, your CPU will throttle at full load and run cool. Increase that power limit in the bios and you should see some more performance and some more heat. 

Do some testing with Cinebench R23. Set the Minimum Test Duration to Off. Can your CPU run this test at full speed without any throttling? Watch the Core Clocks and Core Effective Clocks that HWiNFO reports while Cinebench is running. 

Setting PL1 and PL2 to 180W will help you get maximum performance out of your CPU.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134592/intel-core-i712700f-processor-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

The CPU is probably running at the stock 65W PL2, which is a decent bit slower in heavy multi-thread loads, but shouldn't affect that much single-thread and lighter loads like games.

Example of a heavy MT load:

Spoiler

CB23-1.png

Example of ST and gaming:

Spoiler

CB23-2.png1080p_Average.png

The [65W, RM1] means it's at stock using the stock cooler. [RM1] is just the stock cooler and [H170i] is a higher end cooler.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2391-intel-core-i7-12700/

1 hour ago, boyka19 said:

CM Hyper 212 Black Edition RGB

This might not be enough for a 12700F with it's power limits removed in full loads. In lighter loads it should be fine, but longer heavier MT tasks would probably throttle or be ridiculously loud.