UK government acquires a Quantum Computer

rrats

Summary

Ministry of Defence acquires government's first quantum computer.

Quantum computers can make very complex calculations extremely quickly and their creators say they can solve the problems regular computers cannot.  The MoD will work with British company Orca Computing to explore applications for quantum technology in defence.  Stephen Till, of the MoD's Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL), called it a "milestone moment".

Quantum computing experts and physicists say this means that the problems combed over by average computers for years could be solved in a matter of minutes.

Quotes

They can't actually solve any practical problems yet. They're enabling you to maybe gauge the possibilities of what working on a quantum computer would have if you can scale this machine to really large system sizes.

- Prof Winfried Hensinger, head of the Sussex Centre for Quantum Technologies

My thoughts

There's still a long way to go until we end up with merely usable quantum computers but it's nice that somebody made a step towards the right direction

Sources

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-61647134

2 hours ago, rrats said:

They can't actually solve any practical problems yet.

But enough about the UK government, let's discuss quantum computers. 😄

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Quantum computing experts and physicists say this means that the problems combed over by average computers for years could be solved in a matter of minutes.

Are there any quantum resistant encryption methods currently being worked on? I don't know much about either field, but I've heard quantum computers can trivially crack common forms of encryption.

15 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

ah yes, the machine that will help predict stabbings.

What does everyone alway mention stabbings when they mention London?  We had 270 fatal stabbings in whole of England and Wales last year?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

It's to keep records of all the licenses they need.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

20 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

But enough about the UK government, let's discuss quantum computers. 😄

So my boss just walked in and asked why I was sitting on the floor laughing.
Long story short: Now we're both sitting on the floor laughing.

6 hours ago, SimplyChunk said:

What does everyone alway mention stabbings when they mention London?  We had 270 fatal stabbings in whole of England and Wales last year?

image.thumb.png.2d28d498410279ce346473e19904394f.png

Edit: LMGTFY was a little too toxic