An opinion about HelloFresh. Maybe share yours too

Gunn

Hello good night, or morning 

I was watching and video from JerryRigEverything How NOT to get rid of weeds and the sponsor is HelloFresh.

And 2 of the claims were that using HelloFresh is “less wasteful since they ship you the exact amount of ingredients to make your dishes” and the other one is “ is 72 cheaper than dinning at a restaurant”

I will give my opinion about this company and those 2 claims:

Is less wasteful

Is actually? Soo okay, lets see you go on their website and you order the things you wanted you get it delivered at you house with and refrigerated truck or van, probably a van in an cardboard box with ice packs made of plastic.

at this point you made an refrigerated van drive to you house (Probably you are the only one that is shipping to in your neighborhood or even town) wasting fuel to ship you in that cardboard box and plastic bags the exact amount of ingredients. When you could you to the store and buy the things you need and yeah to that store the food it was shipped in an truck too or van but for more people. 
Are you guys seeing the problem here?

Burning  unnecessary fuel and adding waste like cardboard and plastic in to the mix 

And the part is cheaper than going to an restaurant

Yeah sure it is but hell ordering 4 servings of food costs like 47 dollars the 100 % will be more than 150 dollars. Yeah is cheaper of course never mind with 47 and the shipping dollars you could get 2 bags of groceries with no problems.22CDC080-0C09-4205-B393-8CFCE668E666.thumb.png.058aaf9e4473e518d65e332d40dd6451.png

I think that YouTubers should stop promoting this company, maybe promote Like an other one that actually helps with excess food to not go to waste like TooGoodToGo that gives you offers from restaurants and stores for food that the made today and can’t sell tomorrow like in all restaurants with no extra steps like have it shipped to you house or wasting cardboard for it

i would like you guys to give an opinion on this 

I would personally not buy it, as it is overpriced, and the quality is average.

Not forgetting I like to stock up in bulk.

Like Salmon is discounted, by over 50%, then I stock in a large quantity freeze it, and it will last a couple months.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

To be accurate, the ad claimed that HelloFresh cuts down on food waste by at least 25% when compared to grocery shopping. And while this may depend on what city you are receiving your packages, they don't ship to the home in refrigerated vans. They come in insulated packages with their own ice. The packages are "nearly 100% recyclable" according to the ad. But, like I said, this may vary depending on delivery area. Maybe some areas get packages with ice and other areas get refrigerated vans.

As far as being 72% less expensive than dining at a restaurant, that seems like a meaningless claim to me since it is totally dependent on the restaurant in question, whether you have to pay for parking, etc. So, yeah, it is probably true in some cases and not true in others.

-kp

5 hours ago, Gunn said:

in that cardboard box and plastic bags the exact amount of ingredients.

This was my problem with them, if they offered a "common seasoning pack" or similar*, instead of shipping me 5g of "some common spice/herb" in a bag, often more than 1 bag a week, I'd consider it. Even if they affiliated with a supermarket that delivered locally**, and I subbed a few £ a month to be able to have all the ingredients and the recipe card shipped with the rest of my grocery delivery just by ticking a box, I'd consider it.

But

• Missing recipe cards
  • Ingredients going bad within 4 days
  • Wastefully over packaged
  • No providence of ingredient sources
  • Random delivery times
  • The meals with the decent ingredients costing over twice the "weekly subscription" amount

They got kicked to the curb very quickly.

1 hour ago, kpluck said:

The packages are "nearly 100% recyclable" according to the ad.

That's another issue, what is technically recyclable, and what "your local recycling centre" can actually recycle are not always the same, and large chunks of what they sent me ended up in the landfill bin.

*It would be trivial to track how much of my "common stuff" bought in bulk is left by the recipe cards I buy, and send/charge for a top up when needed

**If I'm booking a delivery slot, I can see times when they are already delivering to people "near me", I know this is so they can cut costs, but it also does cut down on the environmental cost of delivery, they can make 2 deliveries for a 44 mile round trip, instead of 2 deliveries on an 80 mile double round trip, every little helps.

Here at least, they're delivered by FedEx which is certainly NOT a refrigerated truck. We've been using them for a box about 1-2 times a month for a couple years. They offer better quality meats than we can easily get locally and in quantities that won't got to waste with just the two of us. She's had fun learning to be a better cook and we've reused several of the recipes with our own store bought ingredients. A knock on effect of her cooking more and learning more is she feels more confident trying new things at restaurants because she knows what different ingredients are and how they taste and how things are cooked and made. Overall it's been a positive experience for us, but there's been a few missed deliveries lately which were a bummer but that's not been a regular thing. 

All these mail-order "easy meal kits" just seem like wasteful, overpriced, over-packaged gimmicks to me. Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, Omaha Steaks, Schwan's...

Then again I'm also a curmudgeon who doesn't think very highly of the monthly mail-order "loot box" subscription model either.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.