Need Advice for gamming vm bulid

tom_101

Budget (including currency): 2500+usd (not include second player parts)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gamming and vm gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Actually I'm decided to build my first gaming desktop with the part listed below, but suddenly one of the LTT video kicks in ( "2 Gaming Rigs, 1 Tower - Virtualized Gaming Build Log" ) and i'm impressed by the build . Now I want to build the gamming vm.  I knew that I need another set of parts (gpu, ssd, ram, monitor)  after the plan changed. And as you know the gpu market prices is kind of bad these day, so may be I just left the player2  port for gpu, ram, ssd open until  the market prices goes down or consider less powerful parts in future.  Next, the 5600x may not be capable for the vm build and also need a better one and need a third gpu such as on board graphics to run unraid server( from usb stick right ?). Then I don't should I get a cpu with on board graphics or an old gpu , and if I get cpu with on board graphics or not ,what motherboard and power supply will suit better?    

Original plan for 2K gamming :

case     : lian li air mini

cpu       : ryzen 5600x

gpu       : Zotac Rtx 3070 ti amp exterme holo

M board: Msi b550-i

cooler   : Noctua NH-D15

power   : CoolerMaster V850 GOLD Sfx 

ram       : 8gb x2 G.skill tridentZ neo 3600mhz

ssd        : 1TB samsung 970evo plus

monitor  :Asus gamming monitor VG27AQ 165HZ WQHD 

and couple of noctua case fan if had space.

Many hypervisors can provide a virtual GPU for a VM with low graphics requirements.

A typical gaming machine will have at least 4 cores and 16GB of memory. That suggests that a machine hosting two gaming VM needs at least 8 cores and 32GB of memory. 

AM4 and LGA 1700 CPU offer 16 PCIe lanes for GPU. A dual gaming system would cap its GPU bandwidth to 8 PCIe lanes. Not an issue at lower resolutions, potentially a limit for higher resolutions. 

Running two gaming VM and an Unraid server VM on the same box is not a good idea. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 hours ago, brob said:

Many hypervisors can provide a virtual GPU for a VM with low graphics requirements.

A typical gaming machine will have at least 4 cores and 16GB of memory. That suggests that a machine hosting two gaming VM needs at least 8 cores and 32GB of memory. 

AM4 and LGA 1700 CPU offer 16 PCIe lanes for GPU. A dual gaming system would cap its GPU bandwidth to 8 PCIe lanes. Not an issue at lower resolutions, potentially a limit for higher resolutions. 

Running two gaming VM and an Unraid server VM on the same box is not a good idea. 

why not, it's cool